Page 317 of 345 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327 ... LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,340 of 6895
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    It's always a good idea, after your division is started to check the fixtures in game. The spreadsheet can be wrong.
    Strictly speaking, its the game that's wrong - we're supposed to re-seed the fixtures in game to match the sheet. Which we can do, but Cyanide, in their wisdom, have made it so sometimes, the changed seedings just don't show up unless you log out and back in again, so there's always a risk of missing one or two. In this case though, I compounded my error by defaulting a game against myself (as a filler) for the wrong fixture. NOONE ELSE HAS DONE ANYTHING WRONG <YOU'RE ALL FINE> BLAME YOUR BENEVOLENT DICTATOR.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    And I sort of assumed you were away so rolled G to week 2 ¬_¬

Which is week 1 on the sheet! So yes, me vs Spherical and Pimp vs Chad GO

Well the Barad Dur Hobbit Maimers met hobbits for the first time today. Oh Dear. Oh dear oh dear. I think the Maimers need a new manager.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Beaten by hobbits? Muahahahaa!

(Actually the little bastards can be quite brutal when the dice go their way)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    I could have gone 3-0 over Screwie's delfs, but instead I used turn 16 to foul his last player (a loner, I should say) and clear the pitch of filthy elven swine. 2-0, but a sense of having done the right thing in Nuffle's eyes.

I regret nothing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    I could have gone 3-0 over Screwie's delfs, but instead I used turn 16 to foul his last player (a loner, I should say) and clear the pitch of filthy elven swine. 2-0, but a sense of having done the right thing in Nuffle's eyes.

I regret nothing.
    I love you, you beautiful loner-fouling bastard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I love you, you beautiful loner-fouling bastard.
    I just hope the loner took MVP and was crippled.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

So what actually happens when you clear the field? I've never managed it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    So what actually happens when you clear the field? I've never managed it.
    If your opponent has no players that can take an action the turn is automatically given back to you :)

I hope to start a Drive with a clear pitch some day soon.

Keep on dreaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sphericalboy View Post
    Well the Barad Dur Hobbit Maimers met hobbits for the first time today.
    Xanthia Skinkslayer was one of the most brutal Amazons on the pitch, with an average of two casualties caused per game (with Mighty Blow, Tackle and everything else that made life very difficult for Skinks). I think she personally annihilated Screwie's former Norse army all on her own.

And then, after 50 games, she met her first Lizards - and failed to put a dent into a single enemy during that match.

The lesson here is to be really careful how you name your team and your players. ;)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post

I regret nothing.
    Hey, you injured a lineman with a gang foul with 5 assists and Dirty Player! YOU ACHIEVED THE MOST LIKELY OUTCOME! Well done! I can see why you're SO proud. :P

I'm not really mad, but I will never understand what sense of accomplishment others get from clearing the pitch, particularly so late in a game where it won't affect the outcome. My team was beaten as soon as you went two goals up and I had less than five players. I'd be going for more TDs (use those bull centaurs to good effect), but you cost yourself 3 SPP on a player who wasn't far from levelling up instead!

I've had worse results before (PW, again, and more recently Everblue's UW) but it highlights a difference between you and I (and PW!). You can celebrate this result, but if I'd done the same thing I would have criticised myself for failing to maximise my lead and my gains.

In last night's match, it was the dice testing my patience more than anything.

The game was assuredly won for Hands by the second half. Partly because I sustained a huge number of KOs through the match and only one of them woke up the entire game (to be later KO'd again). So I was left on a small and dwindling number of elves for half the game, for which the game rewarded me with too many 1s (of course).

Amazingly nobody (that matters) was hurt worse than a BH, and the MVP didn't land on a loner despite over half my players being temporary.

---

This is a long post already, but I have to mention something else:

It's kind of ridiculous that when I have to fill my ranks with SIX loners I STILL have a higher TV than my opponent.

And Hands doesn't have a rookie squad by any measure. Even when Hands has more than 11 players, a +ST guy, an extra TRR, my skeleton-staffed team is higher in TV.

I have some higher level players sure, and they're awesome. But they're all using skills that Hands' best players get for "free" (actually half-price, really) while I had to pay for them both at the expense of TV, and of picking another skill.

The game's maths feels really wonky to me with teams like CDwfs. Those teams with linemen at 40k and brutal players everywhere else seem to be the worst culprits for this. It may just be my perception, but after two and a half months of losing players and with my team in the worst state it's ever been in - and yet never, EVER, having inducements - it's starting to wear me down.

Anyway enough from me. If you disagree I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by Screwie; 08-04-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Chaos dwarves without a mino are ridiculously cheap in TV. It's their greatest strength I think.

Otherwise they are pretty underwhelming in stat terms and come unstuck against true bash such as high TV chaos or orcs. Good against elves mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    I was down 140K worth of dwarf for that match, if I'd been at full strength you'd have had 100K of inducements.
    Last edited by ChainsawHands; 08-04-2014 at 12:34 PM.

I had a witch elf with a MNG that would have brought that down to 50k. A Bludweiser Babe might well have made the difference in that last match :)

My issue is mainly that TV value doesn't always match up to effectiveness, yet in places the game assumes exactly that.

It crops up in the 100% markup between baked-in and custom skills. Simplistic, usually fair, sometimes not.

It also leads problems by ignoring synergies (positive and negative) - creating the Dark Elf problem that I have to take these 70k AG4 AV8 Loners, yet Loner makes that AG4 worth less than AG3. As such I get about as much benefit from them as a 40-50k lineman yet pay substantially more.

(Then again I'm not sure what you could do different that would not become too complex for a tabletop game.)
    Last edited by Screwie; 08-04-2014 at 12:34 PM.

I've had a particularly good rant about chorfs elsewhere as I think they touch on the overpowered side of the spectrum. I just think your team may be approaching the end of its natural life span. Elves are designed to be flash in the pan - its only the fact that the DoD provides winnings to division winners over a short season that allows the DoD elves and AV7 teams to survive past their normal lifespan. However I do think its difficult to justify complaints about loners when you have arguably the best loner statline in the game - 6348 is so goddamn beautiful. I'm not sure the comparison to ag3 regular players stands up - 2/3 of my team are ag3 rookie linos/throwers and unless it was absolutely critical I wouldnt be wasting a TRR to dodge them away from someone. As such they're generally there to let the real stars do the lifting which realistically is what any journeyman is there for.
    Global Warping (Skaven) - RPS Divisions of Death Champions Seasons 34-36

I dunno. It definitely is a lovely statline and full-time dark elf linemen are fantastic. But they are still there to shield your stars, especially before they learn some skills, and that doesn't require a lot of talent.

Maybe it's just me but if needed to I would chance a 3+ dodge with a reroll but not a 2+ without. The other benefits of AG4 - a pickup or catch when you have no one else nearby - are completely undone by Loner. And "anyone can score" is kind of a big deal for a Dark Elf side, so I feel I lose a lot of versatility from the wall of Loners, even when they're only replacing other linemen.

You may be right on my team's lifespan. Right now I'm holding out until all my remaining stars die (note: not an invitation!) like Hutton, or until I can save enough to effectively reboot the squad with a mass recruitment, keeping a few good players as mentors. (I'm contemplating picking up maybe one more player to develop in the meantime, but I'm not going to buy them immediately before a bashy game...)

If I did retire them today, I'd almost certainly choose a Dark Elf team as their replacement. I have been tempted in various turns by Amazon, Skaven and UW... but all these teams are even more fragile!
    Last edited by Screwie; 08-04-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Disagree on AV8 elf loners being good. They can't do anything reliably and cost 70k TV. Would rather have a loner with skills - zons/norse/dwarf - or with survivability - orc/zombie.

That's right elf boy, whinge about ag4, it's such a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Disagree on AV8 elf loners being good. They can't do anything reliably and cost 70k TV. Would rather have a loner with skills - zons/norse/dwarf - or with survivability - orc/zombie.
    Or a bargain 40k journeyman, like skeleton, rotters (or the previously mentioned zombies) you get bang for buck, but ironically they belong to the teams who least need journeymen.

Snotlings are up their for raw value.