Page 35 of 371 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drawlien View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't trolls one of the few players where it doesn't matter how many tackle zones they're in? Because they need a 6 anyway for an accurate throw and only a natural 1 causes a completely flubbed throw.
    Six for an accurate throw, yes, which in this instance is still scattered like an inaccurate throw anyway. Anything less than six is also treated like an inaccurate throw, unless the roll is one (or less) before or after modification, at which point the thrower fumbles and drops the player. It doesn't have to be a natural one.

I was attempting to increase the likelihood of him rolling a one after modification through increased tackle zones, which would have resulted in him dropping the player at his feet. However, as we know in Blood Bowl, a six is an automatic success and no modification can be made to it.

Also, even if the troll had fumbled his throw, the only way a turnover can result from the whole action is if the thrown player fails his landing roll or he lands on another player. By surrounding the troll with players I was increasing the chance that the goblin would land on another player, thereby giving an automatic turnover.

Although I believe that's also an automatic armour break for both players, so it could have been messy :)
    Last edited by frenz0rz; 09-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Pants View Post
    Div A: Dread Pool (DElf, Screwie) 4 - 0 Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants)

Cheers for the write-up Mr Pants! You were very gracious in defeat, despite what you said you didn't come across all that grumpy. The block dice and the weather were not generous to you, although I had my share of snake eyes I was lucky my key rolls succeeded.

I swear I didn't plan on using the witch elf so much, but with MA 8 and Jump Up she can just get everywhere. My TDs were all from a lineman (Ellos Despos, my last surviving Guard Bastard who also took the MVP) and my AG 5 runner who scored three (Koris Black, who I am hastily trying to level up to make him a smidgen more survivable - just 6 SPPs away now). Normally it is my witch elf who starts scoring, but she proved more useful on defense today.

This is probably the best season my team's ever had (I certainly don't think I've ever won all three games before) and I never expected that to happen against bashy undead opponents. So I am thoroughly chuffed, but also kind of dreading what horrors await in the divisions above...

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    God how would you even face that 3420 TV monstrosity *shudders*
    With a 3440+ TV Chaos team, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by drawlien View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't trolls one of the few players where it doesn't matter how many tackle zones they're in? Because they need a 6 anyway for an accurate throw and only a natural 1 causes a completely flubbed throw.
    As has been mentioned, tackle zones still count and make you fumble more often. TTM from any creature is never accurate (it always scatters regardless of the roll) so fumble is the only thing you don't want. That and failing Always Hungry rolls (thankfully not affected by tackle zones)...
    Last edited by Screwie; 09-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Network Hub
    Rotekian it was a good game, shame we both got players with -1AG now.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    This is probably the best season my team's ever had (I certainly don't think I've ever won all three games before) and I never expected that to happen against bashy undead opponents. So I am thoroughly chuffed, but also kind of dreading what horrors await in the divisions above...
    I have first hand experience of the answer to that question - and that was just the taster. Final opponents is even higher TV Nurgle :(

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    I have first hand experience of the answer to that question - and that was just the taster. Final opponents is even higher TV Nurgle :(
    Yeah looks like it's all Dwarfs and Nurgles up there :(

Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    Also, even if the troll had fumbled his throw, the only way a turnover can result from the whole action is if the thrown player fails his landing roll or he lands on another player. By surrounding the troll with players I was increasing the chance that the goblin would land on another player, thereby giving an automatic turnover.

Although I believe that's also an automatic armour break for both players, so it could have been messy :)
    Apologies for correcting you, but it does work out differently to how you say...

• The collision will only cause a turnover if the player your goblin lands on top of is from your own team. Lobbing goblins at opposing players is an acceptable, if extremely unreliable strategy :)
    • The only other way this can end with a turnover is if the thrown goblin was holding the ball and doesn't land, dropping it (or if the same goblin lands off the pitch).
    • If the troll fumbles the goblin, the little guy ends up back in the square he was picked up from - so he won't land on anyone else in that instance - but if he had the ball and fails his landing roll, turnover.
    • Finally when a goblin lands on top of another player, the, er, 'catcher' must make an armour roll as usual - and they can be hit even if they're already prone, which is nice. The goblin meanwhile scatters one more square, and will keep scattering until he lands in an empty square, at which point he automatically fails the landing roll and must make an armour roll (skip to the injury roll if he ends up off the pitch, of course). No matter how many people he scatters through though, only the catcher gets hurt and the goblin only ever has to make a single armour roll for the landing.

Network Hub
    Don't worry, I fired my -1AG Lineman immediately.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If the goblin doesnt have the ball and you throw him into another player does it cause a turn over?

Nope 10 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Apologies for correcting you, but it does work out differently to how you say...

• The collision will only cause a turnover if the player your goblin lands on top of is from your own team. Lobbing goblins at opposing players is an acceptable, if extremely unreliable strategy :)
    • The only other way this can end with a turnover is if the thrown goblin was holding the ball and doesn't land, dropping it (or if the same goblin lands off the pitch).
    • If the troll fumbles the goblin, the little guy ends up back in the square he was picked up from - so he won't land on anyone else in that instance - but if he had the ball and fails his landing roll, turnover.
    • Finally when a goblin lands on top of another player, the, er, 'catcher' must make an armour roll as usual - and they can be hit even if they're already prone, which is nice. The goblin meanwhile scatters one more square, and will keep scattering until he lands in an empty square, at which point he automatically fails the landing roll and must make an armour roll (skip to the injury roll if he ends up off the pitch, of course). No matter how many people he scatters through though, only the catcher gets hurt and the goblin only ever has to make a single armour roll for the landing.
    Right, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was going off the Living Rulebook, but I was either thinking of an earlier version or had just plain misremembered the process.

Its a shame other players possessing the TTM skill can't catch a gobbo/'fling who lands on them and attempt to throw them back, like a bombardier bomb. That'd be awesome.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    If the goblin doesnt have the ball and you throw him into another player does it cause a turn over?
    Throw team mate will cause a turnover only if the team mate you throw has the ball and lands poorly and drops it.
    Actually that's not strictly true - if another of your players has the ball and you somehow manage to throw a team mate into your ball carrier, making him drop the ball, then you get a turnover and the imagined sound of delighted mocking laughter from your opponent.

Things that do not cause a turnover:
    The troll eats the goblin.
    The tree throws the halfling, he fails to stick the landing, he dies.
    The ogre throws the snotling right off the pitch.
    The troll throws the goblin at a cage corner, he lands on a chaos warrior, they both die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Additionlly, if you throw a player at a ball carrier, and he spills the ball into someone who is in the touchzone(this may be caused by the ball being knocked off pitch and thrown in to their hands) and catches the ball that would also end your turn.. And give them a point.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Div K: Nogbad and the Bad Nogs (Norse, Me) 3 - 1 We're All In It Together (Vamps, NieA7)

Nuffle had it in for NieA7 today. 2 thralls badly hurt on the very first turn was a sign of things to come. Only a few moves into the vamp's own turn, a re-roll failed to change either dice on a skulls-pow/skulls block. That left much of the team in contact with the Nogs without having got many hits in, and most of them spent the next 5-odd turns on the floor as the Nogs entertained themselves by dawdling with the ball and punching any thralls who tried to stand up. By the time I ran the ball in on turn 6, another thrall was dead and a vamp KOed, though my foul attempt on a second vamp did nothing despite over half of the Nogs turning up to put the boot in.

Things looked even more disastrous for NieA7 when, having successfully pushed several of his depleted team through my lines on his drive, he failed the pickup, allowing the Nogs to waltz in and secure the ball. However, Nuffle being the tease that he is, he offered the slimmest of chances to the vamps, tripping the Nog carrier as he made a single GFI into the endzone. The ball scattered into the stand, back onto and straight off the pitch at the far side, and finally deposited itself in miles of empty space in the middle of my half. A daring thrall made a dodge, two GFIs, the pickup, and a perfect long pass into the arms of an unmarked vamp who only needed a single GFI to score. Which, of course, he failed.

The imbalanced numbers made the second half a bit of a foregone conclusion, with NieA7's need to push his few players forward preventing him protecting the ball, which the Nogs quickly secured in his first drive for a second TD taking out some more thralls on the way. Receiving again, the vamps managed to work the ball down the sidelines and out of range of many of the Nogs, and despite the thrall carrying the ball getting smashed to the floor, a vamp managed to scoop up the ball and score.

It was a hard-won consolation. The remaining thralls had fallen, and for the last drive NieA7 set up with only three vamps to stand between the Nogs and a final two-turn touchdown. One vamp did manage to hurl himself at the ball carrier, but only managed a push back, and it was all over.

Hard to take much enjoyment from that one - it was pretty much over before it started, and I felt rather guilty about the wholesale massacre. Excellent haul of SPPs though - a bruising first game against Axler's dwarfs left me with only the MVP points (on the Yeti, at least), but this game levelled the Yeti, a Werewolf, and a lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan View Post
    Hard to take much enjoyment from that one - it was pretty much over before it started, and I felt rather guilty about the wholesale massacre.
    Don't feel bad about either the damage of the fortune you had, all to often it will switch around and you'll be clinging on for dear life. Indeed, be merciless and profit, because that profit might be all that saves you from a worse fate in a later game, and even when you have the lead the dice can still be cruel.

It is Bloodbowl after all.

Don't feel bad about either the damage of the fortune you had, all to often it will switch around and you'll be clinging on for dear life. Indeed, be merciless and profit, because that profit might be all that saves you from a worse fate in a later game, and even when you have the lead the dice can still be cruel.

Yeah the amount of times I've taken it easy on someone who is being nuffled only for the luck to reverse and I end up loosing. I assume Nuffle removes his favor from those who aren't ruthless enough, so now I always go for throat when the opportunity presents.

Words of wisdom. Go for the throat while you can, at every opportunity. It's all too easy to waltz in a TD when you've got the upper hand and suddenly lose the advantage on the next kickoff. Claw, punch, kick and foul while you can, since your opponent will all too happily do the same when the opportunity arises. Seize those precious SPPs and don't hold back.

Damn I love this game.

Also, damn I hate this game.
    www.teamsao.com

Talking about "it is Bloodbowl after all"...

Division E
    Street Sweeping Scrubs [Delusibeta] 0 - 3 Aggressive Negotiation [Karandraz]

On the one hand, that was a 1080TV Humans (newly reinforced with a new Blitzer) going up against a 2000+TV Lizard team, but on the other hand team cheerleader Morg n Thorg returned for a second game.
    First half was a bit of a grind. The match started with the traditional pitch invasion. I chose to kick, knowing I'm probably going to concede one eventually unless I ground out the half. And to be fair, that plan worked for a bit as his stunties failed to understand how to hold a ball for three turns. I completely underestimated the speed of aforementioned stunties and was running down the pitch. By the time I got half way down his half (thanks to his big guy suffering from a case of stupidity) they had finally worked out how to hold a ball, immediately knew how to throw the ball and scored a touchdown in the next turn. *sigh* Thankfully, the injuries were minor and being patched up by a full suite of three apothecaries, so that was fine. The half ended with my thrower failing to understand how to pick up the ball, and then my new Blitzer coming over and demonstrating how to pass the ball.

Second half started out fine: the kicker missed the pitch wholesale, so my "cheerleader" got the ball. As per Bloodbowl tradition, a player cage was immediately formed. The problem, however, was that cage got immediately dismantled, Morg tackled (shock horror gasp) and my the ball was grabbed by a thrower. Naturally, he immediately ran to the other side of the pitch, dodging the one guy who could reach him. The plan was to form a makeshift cage of the players not in the melee (or laying flat on the ground from the cage demolition crew). Two players successfully got out of the rukus, but a third (Brian Bouncer, one of the OG Blitzers) decided instead of moving into position by Going For It, he would instead become a sacrifice for Nuffle in the hopes of granting us good luck against a team we might possibly have a chance against. So he found a sharp rock and proceeded to stab himself against it. The apoths at this point had decided to go home, so he died. Meanwhile, the melee claimed another two injuries (one niggling), so all in all, a bad day in the office. (At least we aren't a player down, unlike last time I had a death)

Did the forum eat my post? It looks like the forum ate my post.

tl;dr edition: Street Sweepers 0 - 3 Aggressive Negotiation, got out-bashed, out sprinted and a player decided to sacrifice himself for the glory of Nuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusibeta View Post
    Did the forum eat my post? It looks like the forum ate my post.
    I hear it was delicious.
    *wipes mouth with napkin*

Division A

The Dead Comic Society (Khemri - me) vs. The Splinters Rejects (Underworld - LowKey)

3 - 1

The final match of Division A (Yes we've finished 2 weeks early. You all suck) turned out to be as painful as predicted, a huge 480TV difference giving the Rejects a lot of cash to splash which resulted in a plethora of inducements including Bomber Dribblesnot and a Bribe to keep him around a bit longer.

The Comics won the toss and elected receive, with a Thro-Ra somehow catching the ball in a surprising display of agility. The Khemri caged up in the centre, and started throwing out the punches hoping to make a hole in the Rejects' line. A bit of shoving in the middle opens up an opportunity and a Blitz-Ra kills a Rookie Linerat on the Rejects LoS. The terrifying Claw Troll burns a re-roll with a Skull/Skull, but stuns a Skeleton in the end and Dribblesnot manages to knock over two undead with an inaccurate pass but the Rejects first turn is brought to an early end with an unlucky dodge failure.

The Comics shift the cage to their left flank and continue the bashing game, breaking the neck of a +AG/Big Hand Goblin. Dribblesnot chucks out another Bomb, only for an idiot Skeleton to catch the damned thing that he promptly uses to knock over a Skaven and cause a Turnover handing a distinct advantage to the Comics. The rest of the drive continues with little to stop the Comics running the ball in, a KOed Tomb Guardian being the only casualty and Dribblesnot mis-throwing to no effect, and the Comics go 1-0 up.

The Bribe is used and Dribblesnot sticks around, while a KOed Goblin and Tomb Guardian both wake up and make their way back onto the field. A gust of wind scoots the ball close to the Rejects' Thrower and their LoS cleans up nicely putting 3 Khemri to the floor. Dribblesnot throws accurately and stuns 2 Khemri, and a Blitz knocks another Skeleton to the floor showing that the Rejects cannot be counted out in the bashing game. The Comics respond and manage to get a Tomb Guardian in contact with the Thrower. The Rejects continue their run of terrible dice and the Thrower manages to fail his dodge on their first movement, handing the initiative once again to the Comics, who respond by BHing a Goblin and getting 2 players next to the ball. Sadly the Rejects can only manage a Push on one of the Khemri and a failed pickup from the Thrower bounces the ball right into the hands of a waiting Blitz-Ra, who runs in the second TD with no issues after a Tomb Guardian knocks his marker free.

2-0 with a handful of turns left and Dribblesnot has outstayed his welcome and is promptly sent off the pitch. A Blitz is called on the kick-off and with elf-like qualities the Comics get a Thro-Ra under the ball as well as a couple of supporting Khemri. In another ridiculous display of agility the Thro-Ra catches the ball and is within TD distance, leaving the Rejects scrambling to defend, which they do with some success BHing a Skeleton (Who succeeds on Regen) but as-per-usual fail a crucial GFI and stun a Skaven. The Thro-Ra dodges past his marker and runs in a ridiculous 3rd TD for the Comics, giving the Rejects a single turn in the first half to do something in return. Sadly their response is cut short with yet another 1 on a pickup and the first half ends 3-0 to the Khemri.

The second half begins with a few turns of shoving on both sides before an inaccurate pass from the Rejects' Thrower pops the ball free fairly deep in the Khemri half, and a Blitz from the ST6 Tomb Guardian BHs the only Skaven who can reach the ball. Stuns are handed out by both sides, but the Thro-Ra stands on the ball as he attempts to pick it up, bouncing the ball closer to the endzone. The Rejects sneak a Goblin onto the ball who easily nabs it and dodges out of reach of the Thro-Ra, but despite his heroics he's brought down by a Blitz and the ball remains on the floor. The ClawTroll MNGs a Skeleton (Who regens) after finally remembering what he was meant to be doing, but the Rejects are unable to collect the ball from the floor and it bounces yet another square closer to the endzone.

A Thro-Ra dodges free of his marker, knocks down the Goblin and collects the ball but he's perilously close to the endzone and unable to attempt a 'get it upfield pass' due to Blitzing. The Rejects employ their wizard who fireballs the cluster of Khemri, knocking them all over and even BHing a Tomb Guardian to boot. With the endzone clear of moving Khemri the Rejects run in and get a well deserved TD putting the score at 3-1.

The final drive is relatively tame for both teams, despite the Comics managing to press the ball forward in a cage their drive is cut short due to an unsuccessful dodge. The Rejects manage to nab the ball and attempt to throw the ball carrier downfield, but ClawTroll fumbles and the ball pops free from a Stunned Goblin. With some bashing the Comics get the ball onto a Blitz-Ra, but with minimal time left on the clock it's impossible to get a TD so the game ends.

Post-Game

A nice match for the Comics to retire on!

LowKey had the lion's share of the crapass luck, rolling a lot more 1s than he should have and having some terrible luck with the kick-off events. That Blitz TD was utterly ridiculous for a Khemri side to pull off, I really lucked out on my Thro-Ras catching the ball this game. The disparity in TV was what really did it in for LowKey I feel, putting his terrible dice luck aside for the moment. A number of Both Downs went in my favour with Wrestle or Block being on a lot more of my players, and Tackle on 3 of my players causing him to burn a number of re-rolls on what should have been simple dodges.

In consolation LowKey did get MVP on a Thrower netting him a useful level, and his ClawTroll managed to grab 4SPPs from casualties. A Broken Neck however on his +AG/Big Hand Goblin is pretty horrible, at least the Linerat I killed was totally lacking in SPPs.

MVP for me went on a Rookie Blitz-Ra, who now at 5 SPPs is probably going to never get another SPP in his life, and my level 4 Blitz-Ra managed to level up so we'll see what that looks like when this gets validated. Amazingly the idiot ST6 Tomb Guardian caused his first casualty since levelling so couple with an MVP last game he's actually not far off levelling again, and one of the Rookie TGs caused a Cas so is slowly working his way back up towards being not-useless.

So yeah, still think I'm retiring the Comics at least for a while. I've had my eyes on a Chaos Dwarf team for some time now, and I quite look forward to playing around with a fresh and rookie team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up JayTee, it was quite a frustrating match but in fairness I was only doing those dodges et al due to your excellent positioning, the successful blitz was unexpected however...