Page 42 of 345 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 6893
  1. #821
    Network Hub The Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    276
    I'm thinking that tackle will be better off on wights than WW as they can get MB easily to beat up all those AV7 dodge players. It also means I'm not wasting claw when I could be blitzing the heavy AV players without dodge.

  2. #822
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,422
    My undead team has one tackle wight and one killer. Works pretty well so far.

  3. #823
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,826
    Can everyone yet to play match 3 hurry up, I want to see who I'm facing next season set so I can advise which skill up to get my blodge sidestep blitzer.

    It's either tackle(don't have any yet) if I face a dodge in much quantity, diving tackle (have 1) if elves or fend (have non but it's a nice anti bash measure) for pretty much everything else.

    I know, choosing skills short term is bad. I'm av7 and I'm besmirching nuffle, looking at the next 3 matches is long term.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  4. #824
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,074
    Your blitzers are AV8!

    And take tackle.

  5. #825
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Herts., UK
    Posts
    1,137
    I've got a good one before my final game. Bullseye, my key thrower, already has sure hands, pass, strong arm, accurate and dump off. He's about as competent as a thrower will get, short of an ag upgrade.

    He just rolled another double. I've been perversely avoiding block to make dump-off something I will actually use (with block, I'd turn it down all the time and the skill would be wasted, plus a lot of blitzers i face have wrestle these days anyway), so what should I go for? A normal roll would have been easy,my plan was to get nerves of steel to make that dump-off a 2+ every time. It also gives me more places to run into to make a throw (potentially standing next to opposition..).Is there an alternative to NoS?What would you choose? Sure feet to help get the range down? Dodge? Suggestions please! (remember, no block!)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

  6. #826
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Your blitzers are AV8!

    And take tackle.
    Yes to this. Tackle now, Diving Tackle next.

    EDIT:

    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    He just rolled another double. I've been perversely avoiding block to make dump-off something I will actually use (with block, I'd turn it down all the time and the skill would be wasted, plus a lot of blitzers i face have wrestle these days anyway), so what should I go for? A normal roll would have been easy,my plan was to get nerves of steel to make that dump-off a 2+ every time. It also gives me more places to run into to make a throw (potentially standing next to opposition..).Is there an alternative to NoS?What would you choose? Sure feet to help get the range down? Dodge? Suggestions please! (remember, no block!)
    I would ignore the double and save yourself a little TV. NoS is almost a must for Dump-Off, it's a little flaky without it.
    Last edited by Screwie; 19-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.

  7. #827
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,614
    You've already given him the skills I'd have told you to give him, particularly the strong arm on a double. So why not give him safe throw to make his throws safer? Other than that, nerves of steel is a good choice, although to be honest I think he's already got too many skills and all this levelling up you're doing is taking an excellent passer and turning him into an excellent passer who gives your opponent free stuff, so don't take the double.

    Alternatively, take wrestle in case you ever have to tackle someone - that way you'll still not want him to get hit, since a both down result will mean you lose the ball, and you'll not lose any perceived value in your dump-off.

  8. #828
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands
    Your blitzers are AV8!
    Yes, av8 and surrounded by men made of glass. I guess I'll have to consider tackle.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 19-02-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  9. #829
    Network Hub potatoedoughnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    США (GMT-7)
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yes, av8 and surrounded by men made of glass. I guess I'll have to consider tackle.
    I'd go with tackle on the blitzer. He'll need it (and DT) eventually. I'd skip fend as he already had blodgestep and fend fills a similar role.

    For the thrower - I'd consider dodge to help him get around the field, but if he's just hanging out on the backfield or sitting somewhere you want him to get hit then it's a waste of TV. NoS is good with dump off. If you want to give him something to do on offense I'd give him wrestle or block.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

    Steam = potatoedoughnut

    [RPS] Clone High

  10. #830
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,422
    @Groovy - take block or fend. If your plan is for him to get hit, it might be nice if he had a chance of surviving.

    @Helio - Difficult choice. I would go for DT as it works well with blodgestep. Tackle is for the catchers who do your blitzing.

  11. #831
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,826
    Thing is, sidestep fend is all manner of bastardry it can make blitzing out of a marker 5 times more irritating as you cant even use hitting him to dodge the other marker, instead you end up resorting to actual dodges which is where DT becomes a real menace.

    If the fend-sidestepper has the ball? suddenly hitting him is meaning he doesn't even need to blitz you away. Its an odd one... I'll take your comments under consideration but i guess it depends on if I face a monstrous set of bastards next few games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    @Helio - Difficult choice. I would go for DT as it works well with blodgestep. Tackle is for the catchers who do your blitzing.
    Its true, my blitzers more often mark and assist, my wrestle lineman tends to do most of my blitzing dragging down my opponents blockers so I can encircle and punch the others.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 19-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  12. #832
    Lesser Hivemind Node NieA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    903
    Brain - Necro are great but they're a team of specialists, they really suffer if you lose a positional as training replacements takes a long time. I've built the wolves as blitzers (block/dodge/sidestep/tackle/dauntless), golems as support (block/guard/MB or grab or break tackle) and the Wights as general purpose supports (guard/tackle or mighty blow or stand firm or juggernaut or grab). Ghouls are interesting as they can go a number of ways, I've tended to go for one carrier (block/sure hands/sidestep/fend/kick-off return) and one safety (wrestle/tackle/sidestep/strip ball). Like potatoedoughnut says Ag4 is huge, if any of your guys rolls it take it immediately - it opens up a moderate passing game, making the speed of the wolves deadly. Zombies get thrown at anything dangerous, aside from one with kick just give them skills to survive that better and fire them if they get to level 4 without anything interesting.

    Tactically the sidelines are your kingdom, force attacks down the edges and threaten crowd surfs with the wolves. Setting up asymmetrically on receiving to pile all your dudes down one edge can work neatly too, doubly so if you can get Ag4 and hold the ball in your half of the field while you do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    That's 7-6-13 if I'm counting correctly
    It's funny how the Divs work, I really like the short seasons. Claw's record is 26-9-12 over their lifetime, but this will be the first time they've reached the champs. Clone High is a much better developed side, Claw have had far too many dead or career-endingly injured lvl 4 players.

    @Helio - Fend's nice and all but it's a handy skill rather than an essential one. Tackle's always useful, especially as you can go DT or Shadowing later. It's just as useful on a marker as a blitzer too, given it cancels dodge in both cases.

    @Groovy - If your determined to go with this dump-off madness (madness!) then I'd be thinking about wrestle (still need to use dump off but it protects him in the mean time, plus stops the blitzer following up on to whoever caught the ball), sidestep/stand firm (to be awkward after the blitz, if still standing), safe throw or nerves of steel. Probably wrestle just to help keep him alive that much longer, too useful a piece to lose easily and the doubles choices are pretty marginal.
    Last edited by NieA7; 19-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.

  13. #833
    Network Hub potatoedoughnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    США (GMT-7)
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Tactically the sidelines are your kingdom, force attacks down the edges and threaten crowd surfs with the wolves. Setting up asymmetrically on receiving to pile all your dudes down one edge can work neatly too, doubly so if you can get Ag4 and hold the ball in your half of the field while you do it.

    It's funny how the Divs work, I really like the short seasons. Claw's record is 26-9-12 over their lifetime, but this will be the first time they've reached the champs. Clone High is a much better developed side, Claw have had far too many dead or career-endingly injured lvl 4 players.
    Yeah sidelines are your place to shine. Once you get sidestep on a few players you can use SF and SS to rule the sidelines and frenzy to threaten pushes.

    Regarding Clone High - I've been very lucky to have my wolves and 1 ghoul go without death or career enders; however, my wights and golems and the other ghoul seem to die pretty regularly. It really hurts to lose a guard player as you don't have much strength and can't fall back on an agility game reliably. Also it takes forever to level necros against a developed teams. You often have to choose between a risky play to get SPP on a new guy or a safe play that adds more SPP to your already leveled stars.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

    Steam = potatoedoughnut

    [RPS] Clone High

  14. #834
    Network Hub The Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Brain - Necro are great but they're a team of specialists, they really suffer if you lose a positional as training replacements takes a long time. I've built the wolves as blitzers (block/dodge/sidestep/tackle/dauntless), golems as support (block/guard/MB or grab or break tackle) and the Wights as general purpose supports (guard/tackle or mighty blow or stand firm or juggernaut or grab). Ghouls are interesting as they can go a number of ways, I've tended to go for one carrier (block/sure hands/sidestep/fend/kick-off return) and one safety (wrestle/tackle/sidestep/strip ball). Like potatoedoughnut says Ag4 is huge, if any of your guys rolls it take it immediately - it opens up a moderate passing game, making the speed of the wolves deadly. Zombies get thrown at anything dangerous, aside from one with kick just give them skills to survive that better and fire them if they get to level 4 without anything interesting.
    That is pretty much how I plan to develop my team. I aim to use on Ghoul on offence and one on defence to limit the number of vulnerable players on the pitch at once. It will also let me field a kick zombie. Dauntless on the wolves seems like a great idea since it will make it easier for them to terrorize ST4 players and big guys and make the most of claw. I know PDoughnut was lamenting the lack of ball handling skills on his team but apart from SH on a ghoul I'm not sure how much more I would want to take. Catch would be good for handoffs but there are so many other skills I would want instead. Maybe it would work on a ghoul if you play two at once on offence.

  15. #835
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    My record is LLWDDWWDDDLLWDDLWDDDLWDWDD for the time I'm willing to scroll in BB. That's 7-6-13 if I'm counting correctly, which isn't exactly inspiring, but good enough to float around Teir 1.
    Here's my record, going backwards from the present into the distant past when the team was founded (17/07/2011 is their first ever recorded match).

    W D L W W D W D L L W W L D D L D L D W L W L W D W L D L D W L L W D D W W W W W W W W

    From this we can see:

    1) The pace of the divisions move too slowly, and people need to get their damn games in :)
    2) Even when I was thinking of retiring the team, while I was plummeting from that one season in the champs away down into tier 2, I wasn't actually doing as badly as I thought
    3) The Red Skull Reavers got a bit of an easy ride starting out. Or I was better at blood bowl in the olden days.

    20 Wins, 12 draws, 12 losses
    12 - 12 - 12 if you discount that initial winning streak. Nicely symmetrical, and actually better than I thought.

  16. #836
    Lesser Hivemind Node NieA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    That is pretty much how I plan to develop my team. I aim to use on Ghoul on offence and one on defence to limit the number of vulnerable players on the pitch at once. It will also let me field a kick zombie.
    I tend to just field the safety on defense but on offense they both go out - having two MA7 and two MA8 players on the field lets you move the ball unfeasibly far in a single turn, albeit with some fairly risky catches. I almost always try and score as quickly as possibly though, Necro are much, much better at defense than offense (the way I play them at least).

    Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    Dauntless on the wolves seems like a great idea since it will make it easier for them to terrorize ST4 players and big guys and make the most of claw.
    Yeah, Mighty Blow would be utterly lovely but 8/3/3/8 Regen/Claws/Frenzy/Block/Dodge/Sidestep/Tackle/Dauntless wouldn't exactly be a bad player.

  17. #837
    Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    550
    Hi there, everyone!

    To my sheer surprise, I discovered Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition among 2012's Christmas presents (well, OK, it was sitting on my wishlist for ages). Maybe I should mention the fact that I don't have any former experience with the tabletop game. I do have a weak spot for turn-based strategy games (mostly in the 4X genre), though.

    Currently, I'm working my way through the rulebook to get at least a basic grasp of the mechanics. I'm also planning to get a handful of games vs. the AI done in the next few days to get used to the UI and whatnot.

    I haven't added my details to the spreadsheet, because I haven't decided on a team yet. If I haven't misread the spreadsheet, the number of players per race seems to be limited. I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?

    Also, when exactly does the next season begin (the current season ends on the 26th, no?) and is there a deadline for enrolling?

    Anyway, if nothing stupid gets in the way, I'll have created my team and submitted my details before the end of the week. Looking forward to playing with you chaps!

  18. #838
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,081
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Currently, I'm working my way through the rulebook to get at least a basic grasp of the mechanics. I'm also planning to get a handful of games vs. the AI done in the next few days to get used to the UI and whatnot.
    Reading the rulebook is the very best thing you can do to prepare yourself. Nice one!

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    I haven't added my details to the spreadsheet, because I haven't decided on a team yet. If I haven't misread the spreadsheet, the number of players per race seems to be limited. I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?
    There is a tab on the spreadsheet called "Race Balance", which calculates which teams are still available for the next season.

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Also, when exactly does the next season begin (the current season ends on the 26th, no?) and is there a deadline for enrolling?
    We're on the final week of the current season, so it should be wrapping up in a week or so. There's no rigid deadline as the admins sometimes have to fill vacant spots at the last minute, but no reason not to get your application in early (on the spreadsheet, just mark your Division on the sheet as Nx where x is the next available number).

    Welcome aboard!

  19. #839
    Network Hub JayTee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australialand
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    I haven't added my details to the spreadsheet, because I haven't decided on a team yet. If I haven't misread the spreadsheet, the number of players per race seems to be limited. I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?
    From what is still free, I'd say:

    Chaos - If you want to bash, but still have some semblance of passing play unlike say Khemri. Start pretty slow though due to a lack of some of the basic skills
    Wood Elf - If you want to play the passing/running/dodging/being-an-elf-bastard game. Just make sure you're not overly attached to your squishy, squishy players

    Necros or Undead are also equally rookie-friendly I feel.

  20. #840
    Lesser Hivemind Node NieA7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    I don't mind contributing to make the league a more balanced affair, so which of the underrepresented teams would be a sensible choice for a noobish player like me?
    It's potentially subject to change before the league ends anyway, but at the moment Dwarf, Human, Lizardmen, Nurgle and Skaven are full. There's one Orc slot and one Undead slot available, both are a very solid teams to start out with. You could also consider Chaos Dwarf if you want to go a bit bashier, or High Elf if you fancy the agility route. BBTactics has very neat overviews of the strengths and weaknesses of each race.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •