Page 43 of 372 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Underworld is the only correct answer always.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Chaos is a poor choice for a new player - no starting skills at all and a bunch of players who initially start off identical, giving you no real clue what they're supposed to be doing on the pitch, and then have a confusing plethora of development options.

Admittedly some of the "clues" like the orcs having a player who is theoretically a "thrower" are red herrings, as he should more properly be described as a "pick the ball up and then keep it guy".

Orcs are often suggested as an ideal team for new players, but high elfs are also a good choice. A completely different play style, but one it is easy to comprehend (keep the ball safe with a thrower in your half, get a receiver relatively free at the other end, pass the ball, touchdown!). Also the players aren't terrifyingly fragile, like the pro elfs and flower elfs, nor are they universally slow like the amazons.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 20-02-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Hi All,

As a fond player of tabletop game many, many years ago I've been working through the AI opponents on the BB:Legendary Edition.

I think I've grasped the basics and want to get involved in the league! (to no doubt be humbled).

I'll add my details to the table - do I need to buy the Chaos edition to participate or is the LE one OK?

Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Admittedly some of the "clues" like the orcs having a player who is theoretically a "thrower" are red herrings, as he should more properly be described as a "pick the ball up and then keep it guy".
    Don't forget about the goblins, PW! They let your orcy thowers fulfil their ball-chucking dreams. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
    Hi All,

As a fond player of tabletop game many, many years ago I've been working through the AI opponents on the BB:Legendary Edition.

I think I've grasped the basics and want to get involved in the league! (to no doubt be humbled).

I'll add my details to the table - do I need to buy the Chaos edition to participate or is the LE one OK?

Thanks!
    Welcome aboard. There's about a week left in this season, then we'll be looking at putting people into their new divisions for next season. Add your details to the spreadsheet (as Screwie said, set your Division to N(x) where x is the next available number) and then keep an eye on the thread next week to find out what Division you're in.

in the meantime, you can stick a team or two in the challenge league to get some practice against humans.

Chaos is a poor choice for a new player - no starting skills at all and a bunch of players who initially start off identical, giving you no real clue what they're supposed to be doing on the pitch, and then have a confusing plethora of development options.
    Horns is a skill.

Ish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I want to suggest Pro Elves(aka regular Elves), yes they are fragile but they have some of the best players going with their blitzers and catchers and an AG4 player for 60TV is not bad at all.

Some players will be horribly maimed, but that's bloodbowl.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

in the meantime, you can stick a team or two in the challenge league to get some practice against humans.
    Do I search for this comp through the BB game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Yes, go to the leagues tab and search for rps. Also take a look at these threads and the first post in this thread.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ead-this-first!
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...allenge-League

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No need to even type anything in; it is about halfway down the front page on the league finder as it now lists the leagues in order of total number of teams by default.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I tend to just field the safety on defense but on offense they both go out - having two MA7 and two MA8 players on the field lets you move the ball unfeasibly far in a single turn, albeit with some fairly risky catches. I almost always try and score as quickly as possibly though, Necro are much, much better at defense than offense (the way I play them at least).

Yeah, Mighty Blow would be utterly lovely but 8/3/3/8 Regen/Claws/Frenzy/Block/Dodge/Sidestep/Tackle/Dauntless wouldn't exactly be a bad player.
    I find the mobility and agi 3 of ghouls too good to pass up for a drive, defense or offense. Especially if 1 or 2 of your wights or wolves get KO'd or otherwise removed from play you'll really feel the need for a MV>4 and the ability to pickup the ball sometimes or use dodge to reposition. Especially once they are developed it seems like a waste to sideline 100+ TV.

I wouldn't ever pick a ball handling skill (except maybe SH) on any player, it just makes it frustrating when you repeatedly fail things like pickups or handoffs. I blame AG3 more than the lack of skills.

Regarding wolves having blodgestep, tackle, dauntless/shadowing/etc isn't bad, but doesn't really do as much as I'd like a ~250TV player to do. I think they really need a stat or MB to be worth the huge cost. However, once they get that developed it isn't really practical to cut them as they're doing most of your heavy lifting (blitzing, marking, ball hunting, scoring threat, etc). So I'd recommend cutting them mid-development if you don't get anything juicy to save some plain later on.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    I find the mobility and agi 3 of ghouls too good to pass up for a drive, defense or offense.
    What I've found useful about leaving a ghoul out of defense is being able to use a kick zombie and fill the scrimmage with zombies as well, saving the other positionals so they can reposition (getting a golem tied up by a lineman is an even worse waste of TV). After that the four zombies are great for throwing at low agility/high strength players to keep them out the action.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoedoughnut View Post
    Regarding wolves having blodgestep, tackle, dauntless/shadowing/etc isn't bad, but doesn't really do as much as I'd like a ~250TV player to do. I think they really need a stat or MB to be worth the huge cost. However, once they get that developed it isn't really practical to cut them as they're doing most of your heavy lifting (blitzing, marking, ball hunting, scoring threat, etc). So I'd recommend cutting them mid-development if you don't get anything juicy to save some plain later on.
    I've found that wolves don't have much of a mid-life though, they go from being semi-useless with 0-1 skills to being amazing with 3+. On top of that I don't think I've ever had such a full roster of leveled up postionals that I could fire one for not being interesting enough, there's anyways someone needing a replacement (or just a golem that's refusing to level up). I reckon Necro can carry one rookie fairly well but two is pushing it, you leave yourself a bit of a hostage to fortune if you willingly take on that risk.

Course, Claw are a rag-bag of limping cripples while Clone High are a gleaming parade of doubles and stats, my advice doesn't lead to happy teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    What I've found useful about leaving a ghoul out of defense is being able to use a kick zombie and fill the scrimmage with zombies as well, saving the other positionals so they can reposition (getting a golem tied up by a lineman is an even worse waste of TV). After that the four zombies are great for throwing at low agility/high strength players to keep them out the action.
    I think the other very important thing about leaving a Ghoul on the side lines when on defence is it makes sure he is available for the next drive when you need him to pick up the ball. Most teams will try to take out ghouls while attacking to gimp your ball handling ability next drive. I just hope that next season I don't get bumped up a division again and have to face a bunch of more developed teams.

I think you can argue both ways for kick zombie vs ghoul. I prefer the ghoul, but necro definitely have the speed to take advantage of kick (if not the agi).

I agree that wolves go from crap to awesome once they get their 2nd or 3rd skill, but if you cut them while you're still facing opponents who are developing it's much easier than trying to level them against fully skilled opponents. And I've always had at least 1-2 key players who have been in desperate need for a skill. After this most recent match is the first time all my positionals have had at least 1 skill in many seasons. Really, you should just get lucky the first time you're leveling so you avoid this mess. Also don't have anyone die/retire.

Learning to protect your ghouls is an important skill. AV7, no regen, and no apo means they will die a lot, but if you're careful about positioning and how you use them they'll live a bit longer. Learning to recognize when you need to just throw them into things and hope for the best instead of protecting them is another important skill.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Street Sweeping Scrubs [Delusibeta] 0 - 2 Gentlebeasts [mrpier]

Ho hum. Another decidedly mediocre game by the Scrubs, and another occasion where I was out-bashed.

Frankly, if next season I fail to score, I'm going to reboot. Progress has been slow and success has been non-existant. All in all, I'm dissatisfied with my team.

Sorry to hear it's been rough, which races were you two?

Div B
    Blackest of Black Blacks 1 - 0 Track & Field

The score is a little deceiving as this was incredibly one-sided, mainly because my dice were ridiculously good and Jiiiiim's were ...not. I broke armour with 25 of 33 rolls, injuring 5 players and KOing almost every other player. He, on the other hand, failed dodges consistently and turned over on 10% of his blocks. On the final turn, he had 1 player left on the pitch, and she was stunned.
    Still - WOOO! I didn't finish last!

Div I
    Codsbottom Brawlers (Graever) 3 - 0 Goes Well With Port (Alini)

So my foray into being a Skaven coach has not gone well this first season with three losses, down two lineman and now the Rat Ogre getting - Str. I still need time to learn to play Skaven so not ready to give up trying just yet, however with only one level up (Stormvermin), not many SPP overall and 70k in the treasury, should I just start a new team?

I would, if you don't have many SPPs and your team is crippled you have nothing to lose by restarting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacamas View Post
    On the final turn, he had 1 player left on the pitch, and she was stunned.
    The following sentence is very important, read it twice before replying:
    DID YOU FOUL HER?