Page 63 of 345 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 6889
    Division G (despite what Joeyjojo says...)

[Delusibeta] Street Sweeping Scrubs 0 - 2 The London Silly Nannies [Joeyjojo]

A torrential downpour in the Crypt tonight led to a lot of players slipping and falling over on the first half. Trying to play a bashy game in the first half went badly (as expected playing against a default ST4 team, even with the assistance of the team cheerleader making his third appearance for the side), with an injury sustained. On the plus side, the fouling expeditions of Bob Baker led to an kill and the refereee noticing (sadly, the apothecary did a good enough job to patch him up and the guy will be back next match). Second half started on a similar note, with the now traditional extra turn for the other guys, the cheerleader being given the ball via Touch Back, followed by everyone tasting the floor and the ball carrier getting rumbled. However, somewhere in the melee, one of my level one linesmen landed a punch to the face of one of Joey's level three beastmen, who presumably had a stroke and a heart attack on collapsing because the beastman then died. Attempts to pass the ball resulted in the ball getting dumped being the passer twice, and a second touchdown was conceded.

The third phase went far better, in that every piled to the right, a successful pass was made and the ball was delivered to the left. Chaos ensued, and another mid-field battle followed. Sadly, time ran out before anything could be made of it.

So in conclusion, I was thoughly out-bashed, but I'd call Nuffle's treatment of the game "about fair" considering the number of deaths I managed to inflict. Also, two level ups, which is always nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Dread Pool (DElf, me) vs Irrelevant Illnesses (Nur, smaug81)

This was a worrisome matchup. Smaug's team includes a terrifying ST 5 warrior with MB and Claw, and two pestigors with MB/Tackle. Not to mention the BoN, which is always a pain. And then the Disturbing Presence, which is just horrid.

I received to start, and Smaug's defence was evenly spread across the field. I formed up a cage on the right flank, when Smaug piled in against me. His MB/Claw horror caused a career-ending injury to my rookie lineman and got his BoN to movie into contact, so except for a couple of elves to keep them occupied, I transferred right across to the left side of the pitch for a new cage.

My high speed allowed me to gain some ground before Smaug's team could lock my cage down again. A turn later the dreaded BoN arrived and applied its greasy tentacles to my cage. Unable to punch my way out the front, I pulled back the elves inside my cage pocket and retreated back into my own half, moving out of range of the enemy and their DP for a possible pass. Smaug followed the ball but wasn't able to contain the 4-5 elves I'd pulled way from my cage.

On my next turn, I ran two of those elves diagonally forward to the opposite flank, where they would guard the lone surviving lineman I'd left there earlier as he dodged free of his marker and moved within scoring range. Smaug's BoN blitzed in, reaching my runner ball-carrier. He dumped the ball off to his runner friend (who failed the catch, standing in 3 DP zones), but then the BoN double-skulled and fell over. Phew! I recovered the ball and ran for the pass. Smaug had a warrior planted squarely in the middle, so my Ag 5 runner just stomached the DP and chucked the ball to the waiting lineman. The pass completed and I went 1-0 up with only two turns remaining in the half.

Smaug pushed hard to make the most of the time, sending his pestigors forward down both flanks. But he forgot about my witch elf, who surfed one of his scary MB/Tackle pestigors into the crowd (causing a niggle that he failed to regenerate). The other receivers were caught and the half ended without further score. I had been lucky so far, and I knew the second half would be tougher.

Half-time score: 1 - 0 to the Pool.

Smaug pushed formed a cage and I formed a screen. As he advanced and I danced backward, I flanked round a runner, assassin and blitzer to distract and harass his players. A fourth player, another blitzer ran straight in, pushing away the back corner of his cage and parking up next to the carrier. With his Shadowing, Smaug would have to deal with him before moving on. He did, Badly Hurting the player but using up his blitz to do so, and Smaug's cage didn't move much that turn.

Meanwhile my assassin was having some fun, KOing the two rotters who marked him on consecutive turns. As my screen continued to delayed the cage, Smaug brought more of his heavy hitters to the front line, trying to dispatch elves in front of him. However at the back, his cage was guarded with under-skilled rotters, and it was suddenly within reach of many of my players.

I took a gamble on breaking the cage, which only turned out to be possibly the most awesome defensive play I've ever done :D

Leaving only 4 elves in the screen as I moved round the side and blitzed a rear rotter out of the cage. It went down and my blitzer moved into the cage, followed by a runner as a second contact on the carrier, and then my witch elf to cover him. I couldn't mark up Smaug's remaining MB/Tackler so I was expecting him to charge in and blitz either my blitzer (who had Diving Tackle) or my witch elf (who had Shadowing and Side Step) to try and free up his carrier. Sure enough, he barrelled in aiming for blitzer and knocked him down, but then he followed up - and my witch elf Shadowed in behind him!!

A follow-up block failed, and suddenly Smaug's best blitzer and ball-carrier were isolated from his frontline. Both went down and, even worse for Smaug, the ball bounced behind my elves. My runner grabbed it and ran upfield, joined by the stab-happy assassin and outside blitzing range of anyone on Smaug's team. Wonderful elfery!

Full-time score: 2 - 0 to the Pool.

Thanks for the game, Smaug!

EDIT: Wow, that turned into a long one.

Just wanted to let you know in case someone can fix it.
    I've noticed last couple days that the lines for darkmalice and karthon on the spreadsheet's season info were not correctly configured.
    When i scrolled right, the stats for matches played etc were not configured, probably because they signed up after the draft took place.
    One of them had zeros instead of the appropriate functions while the other had nothing at all.
    My OCD made me try and fix it, but while Darkmalice's stats seem to be correct, Karthon's are showing a draw when he didn't play any games yet.
    Judging by the function, I believe this comes from some other page we don't have base access to, therefore i can't check what's wrong.
    Hope it can be sorted soon :).

I fixed it. Thanks for the notice. It happened because their team names were written out in some hidden cells on the Table sheet.

Well after all the talk of taking block or MB on a WW if you get a double first I went and rolled a +AG. I've taken the +AG thinking he can easily be used as a scorer now and get him his next level for block pretty quickly. Did I make the right move?

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    Well after all the talk of taking block or MB on a WW if you get a double first I went and rolled a +AG. I've taken the +AG thinking he can easily be used as a scorer now and get him his next level for block pretty quickly. Did I make the right move?
    Even just one AG4 player on an otherwise AG2/3 team can make a big difference, especially for supposedly "safe" things such as pick-ups. That's what I think, anyway!

Absolutely, an Ag4 wolf is probably more of a threat than a St4 one. Wolves are all about strategic blitzing - crowd surfing, pushing players next to a MB wight/golem, blitzing then dodging away into safety, clearing paths and so on. Ag4 lets you get where you need to be, and with natural Ag access you can look forward to dodge (and possibly leap) in the future. On top of that it makes scoring quickly much easier when you need to.

I'd seriously consider dodge as his next skill rather than block, and juggs if you roll a double rather than MB (I'd probably also get the second ghoul before the second wolf - you want blodge on this guy ASAP so he'd be stealing SPP from the other wolf for a very long time. Ghouls are cheaper and come with dodge anyway). Either way he'll need protecting, he's an unbelievably precious asset.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    Pfft come back to me when you have an AG5 wolf. Then we'll talk

Division L

Overall a fair reflection of the match in the scoreline, both teams suffering some horrible luck at various points. GWWP get a merc Linerat as their roster was down to 10men, and grab 2 Babes with the 100k in inducements.

The first half was reasonably stale, with neither team achieving much except handing out some pain. The Heroes lose 2 Hobgoblins to KOs while GWWP lost 2 GRs and 2 Linerats to KOs, and a further Linerat takes an MNG. Said Linerat is clearly cursed already having a -AG on him, but that's what Linerats are there for eh? Both teams have chances to score in the first half, the Heroes lost the ball to an excellent cage break (Set up by a Centaur failing a GFI) but some lucky manoeuvring and a 1D Skull from GWWP popped the ball free. The Heroes attempt a fairly nutty play, grabbing the ball with a Centaur and running up most of the field to attempt a Quick Pass to a free Hobgoblin for the TD but again the Centaur fails the first GFI. GWWP then get a chance, dodging a GR free to grab the ball but a fumbled pass spills the ball at his feet and the whistle goes with the score still 0-0.

Both Hobgoblins decide to be lazy and stay sleeping, while 3 GWWP rats wake up but helpfully a GR stays behind to guard the dugout so both teams start the second half only fielding 10 players. GWWP's first drive goes largely to plan and another failed GFI from a Centaur makes it easy for a GR to run in the well played TD. The GR and one of the Hobgoblins wake up so both teams are back up to 11 players, however this drive from the Heroes goes very well. Despite a kick placing the ball on the endzone a Hobgoblin grabs the ball and successfully passes to another Hobgoblin who runs upfield, minimising the yardage lost from the kick. The rest of the drive is largely a grind as the Heroes pushed their way through the Skaven line, a couple of KOs help thin the line and the Hobgoblin carrier runs in the equaliser on the final whistle.

GWWP grab MVP on their rookie Stormvermin, and the Heroes MVP lands on a Hobgoblin.

Phew! Thought that first half had got away from me, that damned Centaur failing a simple GFI opened up the cage and nearly did me in but I got really lucky with the Blitz and Sadface helpfully rolled up a Skull when trying to knock away a marker. Pity neither team's crazyelfball plays worked out but that's Bloodbowl. Second half was as expected, with the rats running in a nice TD that I somewhat setup myself through positioning but it left plenty of time on the clock for an equaliser. I pondered at the last point risking a handoff to a Centaur, I had re-rolls to spare, to get some SPPs on it but I figured SPPs on a Hobgoblin is equally useful.

The stats show the obnoxious D6 dice I had, with 11/43 rolls being a 1! Equally though Sadface had some terrible Block dice, 18/55 being a Skull.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkir View Post
    A lot of strong norse coaches advocate taking mighty blow first on the ulfwerner anyway. To consider turning it down on a werewolf is madness.
    Block is one of those skills like guard that I often see people take without question, but the more I play the game (still only a year) I wonder whether they are as necessary as everyone makes out.

Block, for example, is invaluable on a lineman or, well, a blocker, but a luxury on a blitzer.

Although Wrestle can be just as invaluable on a lineman, depending on his race. Elfy linemen with the Agility access can back it up with Jump Up so it doesn't slow them down at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Block, for example, is invaluable on a lineman or, well, a blocker, but a luxury on a blitzer.
    I would disagree. You want to have your Blitzes work as often as possible. Just because you can often dictate the situation in which your Blitz takes place, it doesn't mean that it will succeed just as often. Blitzes are what make and break whole games.

At the same time, having no Block on your Blitzers mean that they can be blocked down more easily by the opposition, thereby reducing their effectivity (be it through reduced range after getting up, being not able to simply block back the next turn with a heavy hitter, which Blitzers often are, not being able to hold their own by their own in the enemy backfield, or by simply not being able to plug holes in your defense*).

I say, Block, sometimes maybe exchanged for Juggernaut, is essential on all serious Blitzing pieces.

*All these points maybe be of less significance when it comes to St4+ pieces, as their Strength already gives them increased defensive capabilities.

Edit: I just realised the discussion centered around Elf teams. Sorry if I got it all wrong, where you talking about Blitzers as in the Elf team piece, or Blitzer as a position/role?
    Last edited by Squiz; 11-03-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wrestle is good and so far it's been my preferred choice, although as a third skill I think if any of my linemen ever lived that long (none have) I would take fend to cancel piling on (the biggest cause of death on my linemen to date).

What concerns me though is that I read an alarming comment from an orc coach recently who's started taking juggernaught on his blitzers now that Cyanide have fixed the bug, so that wrestle-dodge players are effectively unskilled when blitzed. Fend is also no protection there.

With that in mind I may move back to block for linemen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I would disagree. You want to have your Blitzes work as often as possible. Just because you can often dictate the situation in which your Blitz takes place, it doesn't mean that it will succeed just as often. Blitzes are what make and break whole games.

At the same time, having no Block on your Blitzers mean that they can be blocked down more easily by the opposition, thereby reducing their effectivity (be it through reduced range after getting up, being not able to simply block back the next turn with a heavy hitter, which Blitzers often are, not being able to hold their own by their own in the enemy backfield, or by simply not being able to plug holes in your defense).

I say, Block, sometimes maybe exchanged for Juggernaut, is essential on all serious Blitzing pieces.
    But that's the point. Block doesn't really help you get the knockdown since at high TV everyone has block. Yes, occasionally you will roll double skulls/both down (1/9), but that's when you use your team reroll. Block (so the theory goes) is mainly useless for killing on a blitzer, it just saves you a reroll occasionally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Blitzers tend to come with block already. If you're talking about building a blitzer, are you sure you're not actually talking about building safeties or ball-winners? Those pieces should have wrestle and tackle (wrackle) or wrestle and strip ball (wr... wripball?) or all three. Their job is to take people down and spill the ball; blitzers are for putting the hurt on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    But that's the point. Block doesn't really help you get the knockdown since at high TV everyone has block. Yes, occasionally you will roll double skulls/both down (1/9), but that's when you use your team reroll. Block (so the theory goes) is mainly useless for killing on a blitzer, it just saves you a reroll occasionally.
    You forget that you still need to get there. Of course you could develop a Blitzer lateron in the team's career, but still then, you lose one player with hitting capabilities for defensive play.

Also, what's wrong with saving a reroll AND preventing regular turnovers on the key move of your turn? What if you already used your reroll at the beginning of your turn?

Edit: Also also, not EVERY player in high TV settings has Block. For example, you'd need a lot of doubles to have a full set of Skinks with that skill and you definitely want to hunt those guys down. Even with Wrestle on the opponent, you get that guy on the ground.
    Last edited by Squiz; 11-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Blitzers tend to come with block already. If you're talking about building a blitzer, are you sure you're not actually talking about building safeties or ball-winners? Those pieces should have wrestle and tackle (wrackle) or wrestle and strip ball (wr... wripball?) or all three. Their job is to take people down and spill the ball; blitzers are for putting the hurt on people.
    Juggernaut and strip ball (juggerball?) are all you need. The bomb. They're only keeping the ball on double skulls. Unless they have sure hands, of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Which they will have as soon as they start seeing strippernaut (hah) players in any large numbers, and then it will be "thanks for the pushes, see ya".

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    strippernaut
    If City of Heroes was still around, that would be the name of my next alt right there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well we started talking about a necro werewolf and whether to take mighty blow or block as first skill. My point was he'll be a pretty feckin amazing blitzer just with mighty blow. Yes, you'll want block eventually, but it's not a big deal early on.

I did something similar with a high elf catcher - got a double first go and picked up mighty blow, and then tackle. I blitzed with him almost every turn for every game after he got mighty blow. I got dodge as the third skill, as I figured that the extra mobility would be worth more than the block, and he took block as the fourth skill. He finished joint top in casualties in his division in his first season (in a division with orc, undead, and necro teams). Even without block or dodge he was an absolute beast, and fast enough to keep safe.

I'm not taking about strippers - I agree that there you want strip ball (ok, I have been convinced, I was wrong to doubt it in the past) and wrestle. As an elf coach I have better things to spend my doubles on than juggernaught!