Page 98 of 372 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 7422
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Oh man, +ST on a hobgoblin. Can I resist? Should I resist?
    Look, he's going to be dead in 2 games anyway, can you spare the TV? If the bloat will hurt you a lot then leave it, get block or some smart double like leader, even HMP. But if you want to live fast? Get+ST and watch opponents cry bitter tears as they get sent off trying to foul him.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Personally I'd give him dodge and make him your ball carrier.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    Down in Division L my boys of 22 Commando defeated the tricky dark elves of Night of Knife 2-0. Sadly there wasn't much blood - just a couple of BH elves (sorry Mumbles).
    Oh excellent! So many fresh orcs for me to... err... wait, I'm not on my Amazons anymore, am I.

Ho-hum.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Chainsawhands, Helio - I agree with Helio. Definitely Hail Mary Pass on that hobbo double.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    STR 4 HOBGOBBLER RAAAR
    That's my considered opinion. Although you could give him guard, because your goal for Chaos Dorfs should be to get all the guard. All of the guard.

I'm still trying to get that stupid Ag3 dwarf killed by putting him on the line with claw mans to be clawed; I can't resist a stat up even when it's demonstrably stupid. Nevertheless, STR4 HOBBO RAAARRR.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I'm still trying to get that stupid Ag3 dwarf killed by putting him on the line with claw mans to be clawed; I can't resist a stat up even when it's demonstrably stupid. Nevertheless, STR4 HOBBO RAAARRR.
    If the AG3 Dorf rolls +AG again would you promise to keep and love him?

But to be honest, whenever dwarfs have less guard than their opponents its going to be a bad day. When my ProElves out guard, or even match dwarfs I know I'm going to have a smooth match nuffle permitting. Chaos dwarfs are slightly different with their access to ST4 & 5 players but yeah, guard.

@Chainsawhands, Helio - I agree with Helio. Definitely Hail Mary Pass on that hobbo double.
    Shush you, I have an unbridled love for hmp back from being an undead coach. It's the one way to do a long pass when most of your players are mv4 ag2. Bloodbowl need not be rational.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Agility doesn't effect passing if you are not bothered about accuracy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    HMP is a solid option. Alternatively you go the runner route with Dodge, followed by Block, Fend, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Here's the match if anyone's interested:

The first half started with me receiving. Chainsawhands got incredibly lucky injuring and knocking out two of my black orcs in the first two rounds, but I don't deny he was just better than me too. His positional play was great, and you have to be good at positional play if you're going to be a full on bashy team with a strength of 3. There was only one dwarf with Guard (he was still yet to be leveled up right before the match and I was hoping he'd forget!) and he was an absolute nightmare.

I used my apoc on the Black Orc immediately knowing I'd bloody well need him back in this game. Chainsawhands took a third black orc out using a crowded sideline move which is a little complicated for an amateur like me to explain. I thought about using the ball carrier to dodge back round to the left and hand off the ball, but hands of chain expertly closed off every avenue of escape as if he knew I might try it. Held him off as best I could in turn 6-8 but he managed to creep over the line to score.

The second half started with me in better shape, all my black orcs were back. Chainsawhands made the mistake of holding the ball in his half as if expecting his chaos dwarves to repeat their success. Nuh uh! My black orcs spent a few turns tearing holes in their formation and other orcs ran right through the gaps, completely surrounding the ball carrier at the same time. Chainsawhands was out of rerolls at this point, but he managed to dodge and run up some reinforcements just in time to stop my goblin making his ecape with the ball. One turn to go and a black orc knocked his ball carrier down again. My goblin gets up, picks up the ball, and runs it in after two GFIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If the AG3 Dorf rolls +AG again would you promise to keep and love him?
    Christ no, he'd still have four move. Less than half the move of a gutter runner, and no agility access, and only mutation access on a double to make up for it. Taking the first agility was a stupid, stupid idea - and despite me throwing him into danger at every opportunity he's bound to hang around forever, mocking me, being too bloaty to like but not quite bloaty enough to fire.

The little bastard.

I'd take Str up on a Chaos Dorf in a heartbeat (oh wait, I did) and I'd gleefully take agility up on a hog bobbin, and I'd probably take Str up on a hogger and try to keep him alive long enough to give him block, rather than giving him guard. A 4str 3 agility blocker with average move on a team full of slow arse blockers would be very handy both for ball carrying and for playing defense, freeing up the horsies for blitzing and pressuring.
    "He'll inevitably die" is true of all players - even the 10 armour ones will run into claw killers - but being able to do a successful foul on my (currently imaginary) str 4 hobo does make the probably unwarranted assumption that you have several players who are unmarked, uninjured, and vertical at the same time.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 26-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.

I'm rather intolerant when it comes to bloat, but my team is also poor so I can't really argue with my previous mispicks (i took accurate on a thrower, wish I'd taken block).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    Agility doesn't effect passing if you are not bothered about accuracy.
    True, and I agree the AG is irrelevant, but at least with HMP you fumble on a 1 only rather than a 1-3.

(I think, although the maths behind passing remains a bit of a blind spot of mine...)

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    (I think, although the maths behind passing remains a bit of a blind spot of mine...)
    Same here. I actually went back and re-read the rules on it the other day. It's actually straightforward once you've looked at it properly though:

Natural one is always a fumble (as ever), otherwise is a an AG roll plus modifiers (skills, TZs, distance). One or less after modification is a fumble again (unless you have Safe Throw, in which case you keep hold of the ball), otherwise it's a scattered pass unless you actually make the roll.

(Edit: unless I'm completely wrong and someone wiser can correct me.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    I'd take Str up on a Chaos Dorf in a heartbeat (oh wait, I did) and I'd gleefully take agility up on a hog bobbin
    Sadly I rolled +AG on a CD (I took guard instead) and +ST on the hobbo.

I rolled +Str on a CD (and took it, yay) and +Ag on a CD (and took it, idiot). This is in the Open, mind - my crazy crazy chaos mans in the Divisions have two ag4 beastmans with extra arms, and two Str 5 chaos warriors.
    Stat ups, I freaking love them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunkdreams View Post
    Same here. I actually went back and re-read the rules on it the other day. It's actually straightforward once you've looked at it properly though:

Natural one is always a fumble (as ever), otherwise is a an AG roll plus modifiers (skills, TZs, distance). One or less after modification is a fumble again (unless you have Safe Throw, in which case you keep hold of the ball), otherwise it's a scattered pass unless you actually make the roll.

(Edit: unless I'm completely wrong and someone wiser can correct me.)
    But don't forget that if you roll a natural or modified 2 you can play your red quizzlestick to allow a previously taken pass reroll to be subconsciously overruled.

This week the Rok 'Ard Nobz played their second lizard team in the championship group. The Nobz opted to kick and the lizards lost no time in rushing into the Nobz' right flank with their mutant s4 skink, 2 other skinks and a saurus. The Nobz deployed a few squares back from eir usual defensive formation and contained the lizards easily, with Ingvi Gobsteel delivering the blitz on the ball carrying skink, knocking him out and protecting the ball. The Orc thrower then delivered a pass to Slaxx, the blitzer waiting at half line. Slaxx ran up into the opposing half and the rest of the lizards were pinned down by green skins. Sibli manages to break free from the central brawl and manages to land an ineffectual blitz on Slaxx. Slaxx dodges out and Sibli gets pinned. The lizards have a hard time reaching him with anyone else and Slaxx looks at the kowc to see whether he should wait out the half or score.with an eager lizardwizard chanting on the sidelines (by now surprised why he hasn't come into action yet), kowc orders Slaxx to run the ball into the end zone.

1-0 to the title holders.

The Nobz kick and blitz up the depleted lizards' half, landing a player under the ball and proceeding to score again in their kicking half. Lizardwizard is watching Belching competition reruns on Cabalvision and chugging down bloodweisers.

2-0 to the Nobz.

Wink's lizards kick to the Nobz and a predictable half ensues. Retired Orc Rok stars hammer the lizards and saunter up the pitch. Lizardwizard takes a loo break from belching Trolls and on the way to the loo, flings a random fireball at four orcs, knocking them all down to no discernible effect (since the lizards are all down and pinned).

The lizard coach orders the scaly runners to stay down and so they do.

Kowc, high on gorkshrooms feels a twinge of compassion and orders the Nobz to do a few practice passes to Black orcs and refrain from fouling lizards. The crowd boos and the Nobz sulk. Eventually, black orc Nob Z walks the ball into the endzone for a 3-0 win.

One more match to go for another title!

A curiosity of safe throw in cyanide is that is borked. It does not retain non natural 1 fumbles as it should.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    A curiosity of safe throw in cyanide is that is borked. It does not retain non natural 1 fumbles as it should.
    Yeah, it does. That might have been a bug in the past, but it's definitely worked for a while. I've seen it with my own eyes! ;)