Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar

D2D and Doctor Who Episodes

BBC website directed me to D2D so I could buy Doctor Who games.
    Not available for me.

D2D forces me to use co.uk site. I am currently located in Poland. Doctor Who games are free for UK residents so they are not available from uk site.

I wrote to them about the problem but I got reply which basically means: "you can't. get lost"

How pathetic are they? They want to compete with steam but cannot set up their websites properly. I'll probably write to BBC so they can do something about the problem (they are losing sales). I don't have high hopes for it but no harm done.

I'll probably then get it from gamersgate which means registration on yet another website. it also has only 2 eps. out of currently available four. which is not good :(

Just wanted to share that piece of info but also ask the question:

How are those games? How is the humour, action, puzzles, plot?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was bit confused by your post at first, completely missing the "games" bit. Was wondering why on earth D2D were selling episodes of Doctor Who.

As for the games, I wouldn't bother. I played the first and part of the second and they are both made up of poor stealth and dull mini games. The writing is okay, but the voice acting is very unenthusiastic, so any kind of humour generally falls flat. It helps that it has both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan playing the parts, but neither seem that bothered about the whole affair.

It irks me that BBC DVDs are Region 2. Why not make them Region 0 and sell to everyone? Fascists.

P.S. No I am not paying 2.5x the price for the local (Region 4) versions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    You could argue why the hell we have region coding at all in this modern world to be honest.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    You could argue why the hell we have region coding at all in this modern world to be honest.
    Especially since most players aren't region locked, thus making the whole thing pointless.

Fun story - I can sometimes get a better deal shipping UK games/dvds here than buying from a Canadian or American seller. Explain to me how that works?

Different price points makes sense, given the different relative incomes of various ends of the earth, but that's not really the same thing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Rii

BBC DVDs are usually about 2.5x the price of regular series worth of television for us UKers too. HBO DVDs are probably the only ones that are as expensive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Doctor Who is the worst for that, Season 5 when it first came out was something ridiculous like 50, thats only 13 episodes and an American series which is usualy more episodes is less then that when its first released!

Quote Originally Posted by cjlr View Post
    Different price points makes sense, given the different relative incomes of various ends of the earth, but that's not really the same thing.
    I loathe Blu-Ray what with its unskippable trailers, ugly cases, HDCP bullshit and it not being cracked and thereby compatible with non-terrible software players like VLC, but it does have one compelling benefit over DVD - besides the obvious - that being that under Blu-Ray Australia is in Region B with Europe, whereas with DVD we're in Region 4 ... with Mexico and South America. What Einstein came up with that? /rolleyes

In any case the upshot is that my Blu-Ray collection is growing if only by dint of it often being cheaper to import the Blu-Ray from the UK than to buy the DVD locally. Often the fastest way to obtain new releases and occasionally the only way to obtain more obscure titles too.

In theory I can get behind region coding (and other regional pricing strategies) as a way to make works available to lower-income markets, in practice the implementation often leaves much to be desired.
    Last edited by Rii; 20-07-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I loathe Blu-Ray what with its unskippable trailers, ugly cases, HDCP bullshit and it not being cracked and thereby compatible with non-terrible software players like VLC, but it does have one compelling benefit over DVD - besides the obvious - that being that under Blu-Ray Australia is in Region B with Europe, whereas with DVD we're in Region 4 ... with Mexico and South America. What Einstein came up with that? /rolleyes

In any case the upshot is that my Blu-Ray collection is growing if only by dint of it often being cheaper to import the Blu-Ray from the UK than to buy the DVD locally. Often the fastest way to obtain new releases and occasionally the only way to obtain more obscure titles too.

In theory I can get behind region coding (and other regional pricing strategies) as a way to make works available to lower-income markets, in practice the implementation often leaves much to be desired.
    wait...

you cannot skip trailers on bluray? in every movie?
    if that is true then I am staying with dvd.

We've had no issues with being able to skip trailers with Blurays.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.