Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    And the chip upgrade was another. The game gives you visual errors in your augs. Then tells you that you MUST get an upgrade. Nowhere - and I mean nowhere - are there contextual clues hinting that this is a bad thing to do. You literally are lead to believe that you MUST do this to keep playing your game. As above, DO NOT do this. I am fine with "unreliable narrators" in games, so long as clues exist to this fact - but Eliza's melodramatic "everyone lies" simply is not enough "clue" by itself. DXHR is a great game when you are playing and allowed to make choices. Its a terrible experience the moment these choices are taken from you.
    There's loads of clues! Everyone starts glitching at the same time, which should instantly set off the alarm bells, and it's a new TY chip, with TY already established as the bad guys, who have some sort of big 'plan' ready to be set into motion. Not sure how you could miss it.

It's arguable that the way it's presented, as a secondary objective (though note - not a compulsory one, you're not told you MUST do it any more than any other sidequest) is misleading, as nowhere else does completing them have negative effects, but then that kinda worked for me on a meta level: are you going to follow blindly what you're told to do or make your own choices?

I remember thinking that this is probably a bad idea but did that anyway.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    1. DO NOT get the
    Heh, I got it and was pleased with results. It made a fight a bit harder( though not by much, with lasrifle it's the easiest bossfight of all anyway) but it also made me feel better even though I was apparently an idiot who just did what the game told me to do.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 31-12-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    There's loads of clues! Everyone starts glitching at the same time, which should instantly set off the alarm bells, and it's a new TY chip, with TY already established as the bad guys, who have some sort of big 'plan' ready to be set into motion. Not sure how you could miss it.

It's arguable that the way it's presented, as a secondary objective (though note - not a compulsory one, you're not told you MUST do it any more than any other sidequest) is misleading, as nowhere else does completing them have negative effects, but then that kinda worked for me on a meta level: are you going to follow blindly what you're told to do or make your own choices?
    You're right, actually. There were clues. The real problem is with me, and the years I spent playing linear games where, if the game said do it you either did it, or had to reload a save game cause you "left the Simon-Says Zone." In future I will pay much closer attention to clues such as this, even if they are delivered in melodramatic fashion by an AI. Or even if they appear in ads for the game, hyping a world in which you can "trust no one."

Looking back on it now, its kind of cool to have unreliable narrators in a game. The problem was not so much in the upgrade, as it was the manner in which they chose to punish you. That boss fight was truly awful. It would have been bad with the chip; without the chip it should have been grounds from barring someone or a small group of someones from ever creating another boss fight in a game.

Activated Node
    You're right, actually. There were clues. The real problem is with me, and the years I spent playing linear games where, if the game said do it you either did it, or had to reload a save game cause you "left the Simon-Says Zone." In future I will pay much closer attention to clues such as this, even if they are delivered in melodramatic fashion by an AI. Or even if they appear in ads for the game, hyping a world in which you can "trust no one."

Looking back on it now, its kind of cool to have unreliable narrators in a game. The problem was not so much in the upgrade, as it was the manner in which they chose to punish you. That boss fight was truly awful. It would have been bad with the chip; without the chip it should have been grounds from barring someone or a small group of someones from ever creating another boss fight in a game.
    Spoilers!

About the chip. I think that was one of the parts that made the game stand out. Decisions in that game matter. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember reading somewhere or hearing (ingame) that something big was going to happen and that something "odd" was happening with the chips currently on the market. Then "the event" happened and all pieces fell together.

But yes, the boss fights really brought the game down, even making it frustrating. What their reasoning was for including those boss fights, I will never understand.
    Last edited by BlackAlpha; 02-01-2013 at 05:02 AM.