Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

Choosing a new Motherboard

I'm planning on upgrading my system soon and I've been browsing and researching motherboards and can't really make up my mind, I have a socket 2011 Motherboard in mind though and I'm willing to spend 200 euro max.

The ASROCK X79 Extreme4 seems interesting but I'd like some suggestions.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 18-12-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Well it depends on what you're looking for too. And the choice of CPU is even more important.
    For a lot of things you can do just fine with a cheaper LGA 1155 CPU.

By the way, that sounds like an Asrock board rather than ASUS.

Woops, yes it's an ASROCK.

Looking for a good gaming setup really, I thought to get the latest availiable with a decent price but you say the 1155 is just as good?

If I go with the 1155 LGA I found the Asrock P67 Extreme6 which is indeed priced pretty nice and the Intel® Core™ i7-2700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz).

Last edited by Ravelle; 18-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Gaming? There's really no need to go beyond a Core i5-3570k and an Asrock Z77 Extreme4. That's newer than the Core i7-2700k.

Man, really? And I thought the i7 series was the next step from i5. Thanks for the heads up.

Well the Core i7 processors do add some things compared to the Core i5. It just doesn't make any difference specifically for gaming. The difference between a Core i5 and an LGA1155 Core i7 is hyperthreading, a feature that makes no difference in gaming. The difference between that Core i7 and an LGA2011 Core i7 is an extra two CPU cores. And very few games take advantage of more than the regular 4 cores you get with a Core i5, so that's not helping either. In addition, the LGA2011 CPUs are actually a generation behind LGA1155, so performance per core is generally better with the cheaper LGA1155 CPUs.

So it all boils down to the Core i5-3570k being about as good of a CPU as you can get for gaming. And it's a lot cheaper than the Core i7s.

Awesome, man. You saved me some money and made me a bit wiser too haha, cheers. :)