Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Crackdown. Dunno about the sequel, but Crackdown is just sheer lunatic car-throwing, building-jumping fun.
    The problem with Crackdown 2 is that it's pretty much just more Crackdown.

The great thing about Crackdown 2 is that it's MORE CRACKDOWN.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cheers for the JRPG suggestions. I realised playing Cthullu Saves the World the other day that I've not played a good one this generation (FF13 really doesn't count). Will look at picking up Resonance of Fate and Lost Odyssey, and look in to Nier... anything else particularly good in that genre? 360 or PS3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    If you were getting a PS3 I would recommend Valkyria Cronicles, thats a really good strategic kind of JRPG but its more turn based strategy game with RPG elements of levelling up. Its also got a nice War story that is quite charming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Hypothetically, if I were to venture into the Haloverse, which title would be best? I don't mind delving knee-deep in lore, indeed the lore is the main reason I'm interested at all.
    the only halo game that focuses on the backstory or lore is Reach, the rest of the games are just "master chef go beat bad guy" "I finish fight later" then a little alien walks past talking in a funny voice, later the many show up to ruin everyones fun. I did like the first game though, lots of wide open spaces to run through in the early parts of the game, I think they are remaking it too.

Quote Originally Posted by deano
    Cheers for the JRPG suggestions. I realised playing Cthullu Saves the World the other day that I've not played a good one this generation (FF13 really doesn't count). Will look at picking up Resonance of Fate and Lost Odyssey, and look in to Nier... anything else particularly good in that genre? 360 or PS3.
    I can think of Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia and blue dragon. not saying that those are all great games but thats pretty much it for jrpgs on the home consoles, for now at least since last story and xenoblade are coming to the wii later in the year, but we aren't talking about the wii.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would put another hat in for Eternal Sonata, it has a decent Battle system in it, and it has a very interesting and quite good story. It does have problems that most modern JRPGs have which is that it is very linear pathing and its a little to long but other then that it is a pretty good game.

For the PS3, I'm going to mention Valkyria Chronicles again. To me, it's mechanically what the new Xcom should be. It's also got a fairly charming story wrapped up in a very pretty anime style presentation.

Demon's Souls is fabulous, and while it isn't as horribly hardcore as many people would like to tell you it is, it still is a breath of fresh (or dark, evil, stagnant) air in the hand-holding era we are in. It is also quite atmospheric and has a very cool persistent multiplayer component.

3D dot game heroes is a 2D zelda clone from the makers of Demon's Souls. It's hard, charming and has a hookshot. 'Nuff said.

Wipeout HD is a reasonable replacement for the oh-so-good Fzero GX for the gamecube. I enjoy it to a point; I find myself constantly thinking "I wish I were playing an HD Fzero game" and getting annoyed that it doesn't handle like Fzero. All that, however, is my own personal bias, as the game is still quite good.

Flower is small, short and beautiful. It's an extremely relaxing game (unless going for some of the harder trophies...) that is a joy to play and watch.

The Little Big Planets are decent. They have some cool creation and sharing tools, a fairly charming visual style, and are great fun to play with your friends/family who are not avid gamers. Personally, I think the platforming in them is too floaty to be satisfying, and the game is geared towards people who love collectibles and customizing avatars.

Edit: Apparently I should read more carefully, as the OP has already mentioned some of these games. Oh well.
    Last edited by Splynter; 23-07-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Ok, so after discovering this third-party controller for PS3, recalling Heavy Rain and Journey, being reminded by folks here of Valkyria Chronicles and giving due consideration to the console's value as a Blu-Ray player ... I have switched my theoretical allegiance to PS3!

Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    Wipeout HD is a reasonable replacement for the oh-so-good Fzero GX for the gamecube. I enjoy it to a point; I find myself constantly thinking "I wish I were playing an HD Fzero game"
    I know exactly what you mean. F-Zero GX is one of my favourite games in the history of ever. Wipeout HD is a fine title in its own right but it - and any future iterations of the franchise for that matter - will forever be but a stand-in for my true love. I'd like to think that Nintendo is working on another one for Wii U, but I've been hurt too many times to get my hopes up now. Retro claims to be working on something 'everyone wants to see' but I think that's more likely to be Starfox than anything else. Not that I don't want to see that too.
    Last edited by Rii; 25-07-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    If you have switched to PS3 you must you must you must get Demon's Souls. MUST. MUST.

Hmm. A new game from Retro would be quite exciting; those guys sure do know what they're doing. Starfox 64 i've recently gone backed to and discovered just how well the gameplay has aged. And yes, demon's souls is great, but you must MUST get Valkyria chronicles: Vyse, Aika and Fina are in it, simultaneously playing to nostalgia and making you depressed about the chances of ever seeing them starring in a game again...

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    If you have switched to PS3 you must you must you must get Demon's Souls. MUST. MUST.
    ^This. I can't wait for Dark Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Ok, so after discovering this third-party controller for PS3, recalling Heavy Rain and Journey, being reminded by folks here of Valkyria Chronicles and giving due consideration to the console's value as a Blu-Ray player ... I have switched my theoretical allegiance to PS3!

I know exactly what you mean. F-Zero GX is one of my favourite games in the history of ever. Wipeout HD is a fine title in its own right but it - and any future iterations of the franchise for that matter - will forever be but a stand-in for my true love. I'd like to think that Nintendo is working on another one for Wii U, but I've been hurt too many times to get my hopes up now. Retro claims to be working on something 'everyone wants to see' but I think that's more likely to be Starfox than anything else. Not that I don't want to see that too.
    To play the devil's advocate here, I had a PS3 and switched to a 360. When I was considering keeping my PS3, I also took a look at that controller, but if you'll take a look at the user reviews, it supposedly has a horrible deadzone. Keep in mind that the PS3 is generally less slick than the 360, if you ask me. The PSN store's layout is a bit awful, and even things like downloading stuff in the background is a bit unintuitive. That's not to say that paying for Live is desirable, but I do vastly prefer it to PSN. And generally speaking, multiplatform console exclusives are better on the 360.

ps3 has firmware problems too, there have been two occasions when it has updated and wiped or corrupted all my save and install data.

Giant bomb had a preview of journey a while ago that sunk all my expectations, a pilgrimage to a mysterious mountain across a vast and open landscape turns out to be just another 3d platformer with segregated levels and everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Enslaved is absolutely amazing. The quality of the writing (Alex Garland!) and the performances (Andy Serkis!) are incredible. The whole package is excellent, except for abysmal performance and low resolution. It's a really good game, I'd take it any time over the Uncharteds and whatever else is there.

Right now I'm playing Dante's Inferno. I'm only two hours in and I like it more than God of War. It's a bit simpler, with smarter checkpoints and easier QTEs, plus it allows you to change difficulty on the fly. I'm not a fan of this type of gameplay and the boss fights are especially annoying, but Dante is worth playing through for the INCREDIBLE depiction of Hell. It's one of the most nightmarish settings I've ever seen. The atmosphere, the art design, the sound, the music - it's blowing my mind over and over again.