Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Keyboard Stands

  1. #1
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18

    Keyboard Stands

    Anyone have any experience/recommendations on stands to hold your PC keyboard? I have a very small desk, and by the time I've clamped a steering wheel to it, or stood my Saitek joystick on it there isn't room for my Sidewinder X6 keyboard!. Looking for something that I could clamp to the edge of the desk that'll hold the keyboard to one side of the desk at a comfortable height/angle for me to reach, but I can still type on it - if that's possible?

    Graham

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    Anyone have any experience/recommendations on stands to hold your PC keyboard? I have a very small desk, and by the time I've clamped a steering wheel to it, or stood my Saitek joystick on it there isn't room for my Sidewinder X6 keyboard!. Looking for something that I could clamp to the edge of the desk that'll hold the keyboard to one side of the desk at a comfortable height/angle for me to reach, but I can still type on it - if that's possible?

    Graham
    really wanted this myself for a while but never found a good solution. Ok, I did find something but it cost like $450...
    http://humanscale.com/products/produ...TOKEN=72544709
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  3. #3
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18
    Ulp! Yep, that's a lot more than I had in mind... :-(

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    Ulp! Yep, that's a lot more than I had in mind... :-(
    yeah too bad it's so expensive. It's a beautfiu solution:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNS6xZpfrU

    I was planning to get a wheel with this (it can carry the weight of the wheel) and keep my keyboard on the table top... but $800 just to play with a wheel? I would have to check my sanity if I got it!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I had that before, threw it away after about a month. Didn't work for me as my desk is standard height (it's an ikea Jerker), this thing needs a VERY high desk to be comfortable to use.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    (it's an ikea Jerker)
    I'm going to err on the side of better judgement and avoid that link.

    If Ikea's thingy isn't right for you, you could always choose the middle tier, grab some under-mount slides and fangle your own solution.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I'm going to err on the side of better judgement and avoid that link.

    If Ikea's thingy isn't right for you, you could always choose the middle tier, grab some under-mount slides and fangle your own solution.
    lol! I don't know what that word means in Swedish, but it's half the charm of the desk :)

    psst.. it's pronounced Yerker
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    lol! I don't know what that word means in Swedish, but it's half the charm of the desk :)

    psst.. it's pronounced Yerker
    That website does look super shifty though.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  10. #10
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for the link Ravelle, but not really what I had in mind. Rather than something under my desk, I was thinking more of something that would clamp to the edge and then sit at an angle to one side of the desk - something like a music stand for holding sheet music, but on an articulated arm with a desk clamp on the other end of it - if that makes any sense!?

    Oh, "Jerker" is a cracking name for a desk! Does it work better for viewing pr0n?

  11. #11
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    249
    Just off the top of my head.

    Wouldn't it be possible to knock something up using a monitor arm? You can get them with a variety of articulations and the end for holding the monitor has screw holds you could attach a plank of wood to. Just fit it upside down to how you would a monitor.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    Thanks for the link Ravelle, but not really what I had in mind. Rather than something under my desk, I was thinking more of something that would clamp to the edge and then sit at an angle to one side of the desk - something like a music stand for holding sheet music, but on an articulated arm with a desk clamp on the other end of it - if that makes any sense!?

    Oh, "Jerker" is a cracking name for a desk! Does it work better for viewing pr0n?
    I was looking for this earlier but forgot the name, would something like this do the trick? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00120818/
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlywombat View Post
    Just off the top of my head.

    Wouldn't it be possible to knock something up using a monitor arm? You can get them with a variety of articulations and the end for holding the monitor has screw holds you could attach a plank of wood to. Just fit it upside down to how you would a monitor.
    This is probably what I would do. I use these monitor mounts on my sim rig: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Mon...6051746&sr=8-7 and you can get them with longer arms... If you had a hacksaw you could cut the tube down, mount it upside-down on the desk and bolt some MDF to the VESA mount part. Tilt it 90 degrees (you might need to go a bit further and add a hinge or something to the VESA mount as I'm not sure these ones tilt the full 90 degrees actually) and that would do... You would also have to deal with the huge clamps sticking up above the desk though. Also you'd have to find a supplier for the longer arms as I can't find them. But, qualifiers aside, I reckon that would be sturdy enough to take a keyboard and the weight of your arms resting on it. Might move more than you'd want though.

    No harm in brainstorming...

    Edit: Oh, longer arm version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDM11S-Singl...ef=pd_sim_ce_3

  14. #14
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18
    Hmm, this might be just the ticket - found it in the customers also viewed section whilst I was looking at monitor stand neema-t suggested:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Noteb...ef=pd_sim_ce_7

    Clamp it to the corner of my desk, extend it out by the width of the keyboard and pivot it round and voila, problem solved!

    Thanks everyone!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •