Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Steam’s Xmas Sale ’12 – Inevitable illogical investments

Sale rules:
    1. Leave it to the last day of the sale to buy something you want unless it is a daily or flash deal. This reduces the chances of you missing out on further savings.
    2. Before you buy a game, ask yourself if you’ll actually play the game. A game that is bought for 75% off but never played is a waste of 100%.
    3. Make sure the game matches your value, not necessarily the price given. Remember, a game will always be cheaper in the future, or at the very least the same price. Given how long it takes to get to these prices, what are a few more months of potential waiting?

Also consider this incredibly important point:
    Do you have a backlog? How about how many active games? Chances are yes and “quite a few”. With that in mind, are you actually going to be playing the games you get any time soon? If not, it’s not really worth getting them right away when you have other things you’ve already invested in (which in turn could shape what you want to purchase).

Useful links:
    How Long To Beat – Users of the site enter the time it took them to complete and the time is then averaged. It can be used as a rough guide to let you know how long it’d take to complete a potential game if you’re concerned about length.

Steam Game Sales – Compares prices between various sites and Steam to find the best price. Also lets you see the games heavily discounted that are otherwise not on a time-determined sale.

CheapShark - Alternative to Steam Game Sales. I quite like the presentation of this. Also, it has a shark, which surely makes it stand-out above the rest.

RPS’s Advent Calendar – A potential buying guide for the best games of the year, as determined by the rulers of Castle Shotgun.

If you think there are other useful links, please let me know and I’ll add them in here.

General thread stuff:
    1. Please ask about games you’re interested in. There’s a whole forum out there of people, many of whom are likely to have played the game you’re thinking of getting.
    2. Feel free to post impressions of games that are on sale so that people can see what they’re getting involved with.
    3. Keep general bargains from other sites in the bargains thread.
    3a. Unless it’s because they’re doing a better offer than something on Steam. Amazon US seem to be attempting to price-match (or beat) Steam, so look out for that too.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 20-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

An interesting technical point: Steam says that "We'll Tell You When Games on Your Wishlist are Daily Deals".

...how? By email? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    ...how? By email? Or what?
    GabeN flies to your house on his sleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    GabeN flies to your house on his sleigh.
    .....whoa.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I was not expecting it to start until xmas day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    The sale is quite long this year, running through to January 5th; more than two weeks!

Fable III is one of those games I want to try despite it being quite negatively reviewed. But even with the 50% flash deal it's still €20,-, so I think I'll wait a while longer before getting this.

Of today's sales, Mirror's Edge should probably be in everybody's collection. I imagine it probably is at this point, but if you somehow managed to avoid it, €2,50 is a great price to get it. Wargame: European Escalation for €10,- is also quite interesting, though I wouldn't unreservedly recommend it to everybody; check some gameplay videos first.

As for the current flash sales; I'd avoid the Codemaster Operation Flashpoint games due to them being generally seen as terrible. Batman: Arkham City is kinda fun, though I never finished it due to getting rather bored of the, for me, impenetrable combat mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The THQ Collection - bankruptcy be damned, this is probably one of the best bangs-for-your-buck you'll get. For £20, it's a ridiculous steal. It's only exclusion appears to be Darksiders 2, which will no doubt be obtainable for cheap anyhow.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 20-12-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I believe it is by e-mail, possibly by notification after existing a game.

Whilst I'm posting, my run-down of things:
    Mirror's Edge - wonderful and original first person platformer. Love it or hate it, but definitely worth trying. Note that you can't get the time trials DLC, that's Origin only. Phenomenal audio and visual design.
    Hitman: Blood Money - great stealth game with well designed levels. Quite challenging, but not prohibitively so. Looks great.
    Borderlands - if you're going to get 1, get the GOTY edition. Fun FPS-loot-a-thon, arguably better in co-op. 2 is more of the same, but some things tidied up. I was a little disappointed by it not really being significantly better than 1, but it's probably a better candidate to jump into and perhaps justifies skipping 1 if you haven't played any BL.
    Scribblenauts Unlimited - I haven't played SU, but I have played Super Scribblenauts on my DS. I think it's fun. I think it's perhaps challenging to come up with variety after some time, but it's a suitably different game that's more relaxing and creative. I'm sure SU continues upon a good foundation and with a keyboard, probably makes it the best version.

The THQ Collection - bankruptcy be damned, this is probably one of the best bangs-for-your-buck you'll get. For £20, it's a ridiculous steal. It's only exclusion appears to be Darksiders 2, which will no doubt be obtainable for cheap anyhow.