Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I see Darksiders 2 in the THQ pack €25 in Ireland - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18778/
    I can see Darksiders 2 as well so it looks like Mr JG was too blinded by the sale to notice all the fine details.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    To be fair, it looks like it probably won't have all the DLC. So if you own all (or even most) of the THQ games you want, Amazon has the better deal on DS2.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Bummer, I wanted the metagames back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    I will not buy anything. I will not buy anything. (I got a game last weekend!) So I will not buy anything!
    Me neither, not until the backlog.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I see Darksiders 2 in the THQ pack €25 in Ireland - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18778/
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I can see Darksiders 2 as well so it looks like Mr JG was too blinded by the sale to notice all the fine details.
    How odd. I could've sworn it wasn't in there when I checked initially. It's possible they were still updating things, I mean the Prince of Persia franchise is further reduced. That or I completely missed it! Doesn't change the fact that the THQ pack is absurd value.

As for its DLC, if you only want Darksiders, the Amazon pack (check the bargain thread) is probably better, but I only played 1 DLC pack and thought it added nothing. Similar reports from the next ones. If you make it to the end of DS2 though and feel the need for DLC, I'd be very surprised. I think you'd be safe enough if you just got the base games in the pack.

And yeah, I'm disappointed by the lack of any sort of meta-game. Ah well.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Have Valve ever said why they stopped doing the metagames?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Nope. Maybe it was more hassle than it was worth?

Spoilers for those of you who like Sonic. You might want to hold off buying anything Sonic related in the mean time...

Also, for some reason, Red Faction Guerilla is not in the THQ pack, nor is it purchasable separately. Odd.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Have Valve ever said why they stopped doing the metagames?
    I don't think there is an official statement, but I imagine that it is because of three main reasons:

1. They already have a sufficiently large portion of the market share that it was providing diminishing returns
    2. Getting developers to agree to give away DLC (or even games) was probably getting difficult. Same with convincing them to support holiday themed achievements (massive kudos to the Men of War devs for making TWO hilariously borderline-offensive missions :p). If memory serves, the achievements were already getting to be something of a stretch by the later metagames.
    3. It turned the community (which is already a cesspool on a good day) into a full on warzone as people were screaming that Valve were "making them buy games" and that "Game X is trash and I am only playing it for an achievement". Not really good advertising since it might result in a small increase in sales for Game X, but it also results in a HORDE of gamers (who don't even like the genre) who will now follow said title and constantly call it trash.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    How odd. I could've sworn it wasn't in there when I checked initially. It's possible they were still updating things, I mean the Prince of Persia franchise is further reduced. That or I completely missed it! Doesn't change the fact that the THQ pack is absurd value.
    Don't worry, you arn't going crazy (whether or not you already are is between you and the voices). I checked the pack 15 minutes in and it had all the Dawn of War DLC, but no Darksiders 2. Its odd the pack is missing a Company of Heroes expansion as well. I'm currently cursing the heavens (and Gabe) because I've a friend who would love the strategy games and Titans Quest (which I own), but has no interest in Darksiders. Another sale bemoaning the fact you can't split the packs I guess.

I'm also tempted by the Batman and Fable offers despite owning the games on consoles as I prefer sitting at my desk to play games. DAMN YOU STEAM!!!

How intrusive is the GFWL in Arkham City? Is it just for the small online elements and therefore completely skippable if you just play the singleplayer?

How intrusive is the GFWL in Arkham City?
    I vaguely remember it killing a session's worth of progress in my playthrough because it decided my internet connection wasn't pristine enough and stopped auto-saving. But the game was so much fun I let it go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Fable III is one of those games I want to try despite it being quite negatively reviewed. But even with the 50% flash deal it's still €20,-, so I think I'll wait a while longer before getting this.
    It seems this was 'fixed' to a more common 75% off, making this game €9,99 for the next few hours.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Well, I made my first purchase of the season, but it wasn't through Steam. With the Borderlands franchise sale as a daily, I notice that neither the BL2 season pass nor the individual DLC's have been discounted. That's understandable, but it also means there's no reason to buy them on Steam. So I picked up a Season Pass for myself and one for my co-op partner on Gamersgate, because if I'm not going to get a discount I can at least get some blue coins out of the deal!

How intrusive is the GFWL in Arkham City? Is it just for the small online elements and therefore completely skippable if you just play the singleplayer?
    Not at all skippable unfortunately, you need GFWL running or the game will not launch at all. What I'm not sure is if you can launch GFWL or not in an off-line mode without an internet connection? I know it doesn't affect the single player game if your internet goes down mid-game, other than achievements not syncing to your online Microsoft profile til you do. (Edit: I had no problem with auto-saves when that happened though).

I could live a lot happier without GFWL but I've tolerated it for Batman and Dead Souls, both games well worth the DRM ball-ache.

Amazon is attempting to price match some of the deals on their Late-Breaking Deals page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Fable III is one of those games I want to try despite it being quite negatively reviewed. But even with the 50% flash deal it's still €20,-, so I think I'll wait a while longer before getting this.
    Now its dropped to 75% I say its definitely worth getting as even though the mechanics and moral choice system are both breakable without much effort, its got a great deal of charm and sometimes in the evening all you want is a game where one button spamming will carry you through.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinglebob View Post
    sometimes in the evening all you want is a game where one button spamming will carry you through.
    Ha, I know what you mean. I was going to play through KOTOR2 last week as a clever force user, but I decided to create a light-side character that just likes to hit people with lightsabers. I don't think it's canon-acceptable, but it's been entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Not at all skippable unfortunately, you need GFWL running or the game will not launch at all. What I'm not sure is if you can launch GFWL or not in an off-line mode without an internet connection? I know it doesn't affect the single player game if your internet goes down mid-game, other than achievements not syncing to your online Microsoft profile til you do. (Edit: I had no problem with auto-saves when that happened though).

I could live a lot happier without GFWL but I've tolerated it for Batman and Dead Souls, both games well worth the DRM ball-ache.
    You can create an offline profile for GFWL, I think the only thing you "lose" are achievements. Just note that the offline and online profiles aren't interchangeable, if you switch to an online one the offline saves won't work.

Obscure Node
    How intrusive is the GFWL in Arkham City?
    Bloody annoying, it ate a ~70% complete save game of mine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Is Wargame any good, guys?

Assassin's Creed Rev is 25 euro, tempting but I've not finished Brotherhood yet.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 20-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Is Wargame any good, guys?
    Be aware: Wargame has a "you must earn units by unlocking them" system, and that system only allows you to unlock units in two modes: SP campaign and competitive MP. If you want to play skirmish, or comp stomp with friends, you're not going to be able to play with the bulk of units in the game unless you grind in another mode.