Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks, having read back over the WiT I think I can wait a bit longer, or possibly see if Rayman: Oranges drops further in price instead. I'm not much of a platform gamer, so the repetition described in the review is likely to annoy me very quickly.

I've upgraded my broadband to get rid of the download cap (sanest decision I've made in a while), but it doesn't take effect till next month, so I might get the demo then.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Rayman Origins is a joyous thing - I don't get the repetition thing at all, it's a platform game - there's lot of jumping and stuff - that's what platform games are like.

It has a decent difficulty settings - loads of secrets - worthwhile replay value - a non-punishing unlock system - it's fun, you can't ask more for £7 IMO...

It is - for example - head, shoulders, arse and elbow above stuff like Project Giana and Fly'n - it's another SPORT from those games...

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Kind of tempted by Giana Sisters for a fiver on the flash sales. Anyone played it?
    Yes, it is absolutely great. I started both Giana Sisters and Rayman: Origins today and I like them both, even though they are very different games. I think I prefer Giana actually, as I like the art style a lot and the gameplay is challenging.

Sorry for any confusion - the repetition thing was from my reading of the WiT on Giana Sisters, not Rayman. I think I would buy Rayman now if it were 7 quid, but it's 20 quid (euro) for me on Steam, or about 15 on Gamersgate. It's probably worth that, but I have a sizeable backlog and it can wait.

Thanks for getting back re. Giana Sisters, Dreamlord. I've talked myself out of it in terms of this sale, as there are other things that I've wanted for longer, but it's on the "interesting" list. Again, I'm not a skilled platform gamer, not having grown up with any of the traditional franchises, and I don't really enjoy being incredibly frustrated by my lack of ability at that sort of challenge, so platform games are generally something I can put on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Sorry for any confusion - the repetition thing was from my reading of the WiT on Giana Sisters, not Rayman. I think I would buy Rayman now if it were 7 quid, but it's 20 quid (euro) for me on Steam, or about 15 on Gamersgate. It's probably worth that, but I have a sizeable backlog and it can wait.
    Ah, Rayman: Origins was £6.60 a coupe of days ago in a flash sale. :-)

Of course it was. :-)

Activated Node
    Thanks for the comments about Spec Ops, I'm enjoying it quite a bit (the shooting too, actually). A little over an hour left on the sale, go throw your moneys at it!

Quote Originally Posted by valuum View Post
    Thanks for the comments about Spec Ops, I'm enjoying it quite a bit (the shooting too, actually). A little over an hour left on the sale, go throw your moneys at it!
    I finished it this morning. I liked it. It was 6 hours long, the shooting was ok (though nothing special) and in general.... well, it was an ok game. But i got it for £5 on GetGames sales a couple of weeks ago. The story was interesting, though I don't get what all the fuss is about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Scribblenauts was a silly thing, I watched a couple of youtube videos, laughed my arse off, and then immediately bought it. It was only -33% sale too, and it's only available in February... but there was a guy riding an ant! You can't say no to riding ants?
    Amazon had it for 75% off a few days ago.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    If he's waiting until February he's in Europe so can't buy from Amazon.com without falsely declaring a credit card address. And while that works, it's just the sort of thing a bank will use to deny you a refund should your card details get hacked/cloned at some point in the near future. Not worth the risk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    If he's waiting until February he's in Europe so can't buy from Amazon.com without falsely declaring a credit card address. And while that works, it's just the sort of thing a bank will use to deny you a refund should your card details get hacked/cloned at some point in the near future. Not worth the risk.
    There's no risk in non-US people buying from Amaozn - they're as happy to take your money as anyone :)

They don't really care if you use a 'false' (has to be real) address - your billing address is still on the account too (won't work without it) - you can even get a proper/legit US address for free from people like Borderlinx.

The only real downside to Amazon deals is that poor exchange rate/fees many people will run into - makes the deals less worthwhile (esp as you can't buy multiple items in one transaction so you get the fee on EVERY game you buy).

There's no issue of refunds or anything else 'dodgy' about it - your card provider doesn't care if you don't - so long as you pay them :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Yeah I heard about that, and it hurt a little... but it's not the end of the world.

By the way, what astonishes me in many of the Scribblenauts videos is how unimaginative some people are. There's this carneval games section where you need to create something and throw it at a pile of bottles to win... one guy created nothing but balls. Every time, a ball. A ball?? Geez.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Are the sales running out of steam? Is it almost time for a Your Haul thread? I feel like we're going to see a lot of short lists.

The sale's still on for another week, no Haul thread time yet!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    There's no risk in non-US people buying from Amaozn - they're as happy to take your money as anyone :)

They don't really care if you use a 'false' (has to be real) address - your billing address is still on the account too (won't work without it) - you can even get a proper/legit US address for free from people like Borderlinx.
    Hmm wait, do you just put in a false delivery address or false billing address? The former is fine, the latter is dangerous as it's basically fraud. While I agree neither Amazon or your bank will care in 99.9% of cases, if there were to later be a reason for said bank to look into activity on your account (because, for example, the following week your card gets cloned and used fraudulently) they'd have grounds for terminating the account and holding your liable for the fraudulent transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Hmm wait, do you just put in a false delivery address or false billing address? The former is fine, the latter is dangerous as it's basically fraud. While I agree neither Amazon or your bank will care in 99.9% of cases, if there were to later be a reason for said bank to look into activity on your account (because, for example, the following week your card gets cloned and used fraudulently) they'd have grounds for terminating the account and holding your liable for the fraudulent transactions.
    You enter a false delivery address; your billing address stays the same. It's safest to use an address of someone you know in the US, although it doesn't even have to be a real address. I doubt that Amazon even utilizes the delivery address beyond checking whether it is technically in the US.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Are the sales running out of steam? Is it almost time for a Your Haul thread? I feel like we're going to see a lot of short lists.
    More than I like to admit.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    You enter a false delivery address; your billing address stays the same. It's safest to use an address of someone you know in the US, although it doesn't even have to be a real address. I doubt that Amazon even utilizes the delivery address beyond checking whether it is technically in the US.
    A false billing address would fail the card check anyway - I can't remember exactly what I did now but it's not quite like 'gifting', you need to have that alternate address on your account and choose it before it will let you buy stuff.

End of the day we are, at best, mildly irking some publishers - it's not exactly a crime (although I speak from a country where we jail people for £120 Council Tax Arrears whilst allowing a former Member of Parliament to walk away with £30K of bonus after stealing over £50K in expenses with nary more than a warning to 'cheer up' - so I may be in jail tomorrow...)

p.s. a mate of mine has been buying books from the US for decades - by mail-order then BBS/teletext and then the Internet - he's used 'transhipping' addresses with his cards for the whole of that time, has probably had 1000+ books shipped that way (still does) and the police have not yet been around to his house ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    p.s. I just checked my US Amazon Account (which is also my Appstore Account as non-'US' developers are still not really welcome on Amazon) and it's setup like this

My main address is home - it has a card associated with it - this is my one-click address too.

An alternate address is a Borderlinx (US) address - is has NO PAYMENT DETAILS attached - I just choose it before I buy digital games (otherwise you get the "Not Available" spiel) - then select the only payment method (attached to my actual UK address) and KERRR-CHING - games arrive...

As I said earlier tho - the £1.50 a time fees on the only card I'm willing to use online make this a rare occurence...

Ironically - I still don't qualify to comment on my own Apps either, as they reckon "I've not bought anything on Amazon.COM" *coughs*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    So what's the last game in today's major sale list? I see Sins, AssCreed franchise, Prototype franchise, Just Cause 2, LIMBO, and "This game is not available in your region" yet again.