Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Shadow Broker is the best DLC in terms of gameplay content. It and Arrival are the most plot-important ones; Arrival isn't really particularly interesting in terms of its levels etc, but it fills a gap in the story between 2 and 3 (ME3 more or less assumes you've played Arrival) so if you care about that, it's worth a pick. The NPC ones aren't much worth bothering with, the game's already got plenty to choose from and the DLC NPCs don't really interact with you/other team mates beyond their own missions; on the plus side, they also add a tiny bit of ME3 content (glorified cameos, but still). Overlord I've not played. There's also the Normandy wreck DLC which is rather lovely in its own way, but it's a VERY small piece of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Arrival offers you the chance to stop an imminent Reaper invasion, after which Admiral Hackett of the 5th Alliance fleet will tell you that you'll have to defend yourself on Earth because of the methods used to stop that invasion. You can just ignore that throughout the entire game, though, and keep going along with your new Cerberus buddies; nothing comes of it. Then in ME3, at the start of the game you're suddenly on Earth, supposedly having handed over the Normandy to the Alliance, the ME2 crew has all left, you've been incarcerated for a few months and... well, I suppose it's one big 'buy our books/comics' situation.
    It's more of a timing issue, rather than a book/comic thing. Arrival was the last piece of ME2 story DLC and thus it was 'meant' to be played as the last thing you do before you advance to ME3 (canonically it takes place after the end of ME2's main plot), in which case its ending flows comfortably into ME3's beginning. But because you can buy and play the DLC at any time in the game you want, you can create weird time discrepancies like the one you mention.
    Last edited by Flint; 31-12-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Apparently the latest Flash Sales last until the end of the sale?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    ME2 and ME3 don't really flow into each other at all, unless you're doing a lot of filling in the blanks. Arrival offers you the chance to stop an imminent Reaper invasion, after which Admiral Hackett of the 5th Alliance fleet will tell you that you'll have to defend yourself on Earth because of the methods used to stop that invasion. You can just ignore that throughout the entire game, though, and keep going along with your new Cerberus buddies; nothing comes of it. Then in ME3, at the start of the game you're suddenly on Earth, supposedly having handed over the Normandy to the Alliance, the ME2 crew has all left, you've been incarcerated for a few months and... well, I suppose it's one big 'buy our books/comics' situation.
    Arrival happens last. After you have finished your mission(s), you turn yourself in/Hackett can't protect you anymore. And you get investigated. Which kind of makes sense.

You might as well whinge that ME1 and ME2 don't "flow together"

"You just stopped Sovereign and the world is happy and you are on the Citadel. Then fast forward a few months/years and the Citadel is rebuilt and you are on the Normandy for some reason and dead. BUY THE BOOKS!!!"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    But because you can buy and play the DLC at any time in the game you want, you can create weird time discrepancies like the one you mention.
    After the next ME3 DLC comes out, I'll pick up whatever elements I don't have (2DLC, 3, and 3DLC) and play through 1->2->3 with all the DLC. I don't mind waiting till then, and the end result should take up a fun few months of gaming time this spring/summer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    It's more of a timing issue, rather than a book/comic thing. Arrival was the last piece of ME2 story DLC and thus it was 'meant' to be played as the last thing you do before you advance to ME3 (canonically it takes place after the end of ME2's main plot), in which case its ending flows comfortably into ME3's beginning. But because you can buy and play the DLC at any time in the game you want, you can create weird time discrepancies like the one you mention.
    Right, true. Arrival was the last DLC and it's best played that way, too.

On my most recent playthrough, earlier today actually, I saved Arrival until after the mission beyond the Omega 4 relay. Even then it still irks me. My Shepard was on good terms with the Illusive Man, yes he went behind Shepard's back a few times, but he had a plan and he trusted Shepard to accomplish his goals, which he did - and it worked out fine. Cerberus provided the resources to carry out the mission, Cerberus rebuilt the Normandy - heck, Cerberus rebuilt Shepard. And then for some reason you're forced onto the "I'm sorry"-shuttle back to the Alliance for the start of ME3. It seems a common idea on the BioWare forums that there were plans to include a 'Shepard on trial' section, but that this ended up being cut out for various reasons. One, I imagine, is that it's an odd way to start a game - especially for the new players EA and BioWare will have wanted to attract.

But anyway, as far as actual game content goes, Arrival is indeed the bridge between ME2 and ME3.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Okay, you convinced me. Thanks, guys, I'm going to buy ME2 and hope for a BW points "sale" before I end ME, so that I can get, at least, Arrival. I still feel like BW has gone too far with the DLCs, but... There's not much to do about it, I guess. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    Apparently the latest Flash Sales last until the end of the sale?
    Probably not, seen the estimated time display a number of days once before, they usually fix that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    Okay, you convinced me. Thanks, guys, I'm going to buy ME2 and hope for a BW points "sale" before I end ME, so that I can get, at least, Arrival. I still feel like BW has gone too far with the DLCs, but... There's not much to do about it, I guess. >.<
    To my knowledge, bioware have never put on a sale for points or their dlc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    To my knowledge, bioware have never put on a sale for points or their dlc.
    Don't know if on official sale, but I know they've given more points than normally more than once.

Given that:
    - I will never ever play Far Cry 3 online, ever.
    - I wasn't even interested to buy FC3 until the hivemind FORCED me to buy it by making it goatee (forced, I say!).

Is there any reason for me to get the Super Duper Edition instead of the Ultra Normal Edition? It seems mostly to be multiplayer unlocks apart from a hunting thing, can anyone attest to the singleplayer weapons or missions?

So... Far Cry 3, worth 38 dollars? I can probably get it cheaper (I know that if I ask a redcoat to buy it for me at GMG it will be cheaper), but I would prefer it through Steam to rely on Valve's downloader. Watching Total Biscuit's video and I am liking what I see.

Also: Is there a point to getting the "deluxe" version? Or is that just early access to the in-game DLC that you can usually get by just playing the game and earning "uplay points"? The two bonus missions and the monkey crap sound fun.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So... Far Cry 3, worth 38 dollars?
    For sure! As for the deluxe one I wouldn't know, I didn't get it and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

You can't get any of the deluxe DLC with uPlay points. I think you get the thylacine DLC with the deluxe edition, but that's probably not worth the extra whatever they're charging.

The game itself is absolutely worth 38 dollars.

Well, between that and Total Biscuit's video ("No Mister Kibbles!") I am sold on it. Still gonna finish Dark Souls first (and will be side-playing Demon's Souls while I rock this), but this has jumped to the top of my list that doesn't involve me charging into hell with a rapier. Looks like Far Cry 2, but done right.

Thanks. And I guess I'll get the regular and get the deluxe DLC when it is available for purchase in a month or two. Will probably be under 5 bucks.

Correction, downloading now. Forgot how much I hate the Crystal Caves
    Last edited by gundato; 31-12-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Frozen Synapse appears to be some hidden daily deal at 80%. If anyone doesn't already own it, this might be the time to get it.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Here's a nice hidden gems list for your last-day buying pleasure--when it arrives. So you can plan ahead. I imagine we're all too lazy to ever put something like this together. Which is why I like you.

Defender's Quest is 66% off, etc.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 31-12-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: clarity re: last day

Why is everyone talking like this was the last day of the sales? I thought it continues on till Jan 5th?

Edit: Blimey, it says on the Finnish-language Steam frontpage that there will be "new deals every day till Jan 5th", but on the English frontpage it's only "new deals every day". How peculiar.
    Last edited by Velko; 31-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Why is everyone talking like this was the last day of the sales? I thought it continues on till Jan 5th?
    Valve should just cancel it out of shame, everybody else destroyed their sale.

Does anyone else want to join in for an Orcs Must Die 2 2-pack? $5 each for the Complete version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Edit: Blimey, it says on the Finnish-language Steam frontpage that there will be "new deals every day till Jan 5th", but on the English frontpage it's only "new deals every day". How peculiar.
    The English main site says the same thing, if perhaps in a slightly different way. Note the dates at the top:

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18