Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    The English main site says the same thing, if perhaps in a slightly different way. Note the dates at the top:

Oh right, didn't notice that as it is indeed a little differently put. I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Valve should just cancel it out of shame, everybody else destroyed their sale.
    Too many PC game buyers, are purchasing their digital games only from Steam. Mostly due to unawareness and not caring about the competition.

For example: When X-com was on sale (Steam) for 33$ it was also on sale in Gamersgate for 25$ and GMG for 21$ (with discount code) and it was still the No. 1 selling game for that day on steam.
    And it wasn't even a good sale price to begin with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I blame that Greek economist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Being semi-serious - I reckon all that crazy discounting has gotten Steam into a position where they sell a tonne of stuff and 'any' discount - so why over-discount stuff?

I miss the interactivity stuff more than the silly prices tbh - there was a real sense of occasion, some use of the community etc. with those things. Valve talk about engaging their community all the time - but they actually don't do that at all. At best they use us to fill surveys (the whole of Greenlight is one massive survey - basically) and keep their shop looking busy :)

It's like the Humble Bundle - it outsells other bundles 100s or even 1000s:1 despite not always being anything like as interesting as other bundles. It's just "known" - people see it and think "that's always a bargain - I'll have it".

Meanwhile, struggling sites like Gamersgate have 'sales' which contain items not on sale, reset their timer without changing their content and give away games for pennies and then claw it back from their customers and Valve must think "easy life".

I didn't think that GMG would become the main alternative to Steam but in terms of doing some great deals and having pre-orders/new titles at the lowest prices, they're right there.

Haha, wow. Quake actually made it as the community's choice deal. I wonder how many people buy it and fail to figure out how to run/mod it. That would be unfortunate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I did consider buying Q3/Arena, but I'm a bit disappointed only the original Quake is 75% off.

Flash sale thoughts:
    NFS: Hot Pursuit - Great open world racing game, with some great terrain and routes to drive on. Well polished and fun. Looks fantastic, okay soundtrack. If you've been interested in it, definitely do get at that price. (Also note that all the other NFS titles are similarly discounted, a fact well hidden.)

Psychonauts - Fantastic action/platforming game, with excellent characters and dialogue. That said, this game isn't exactly new, but I would say its praise is more than justified.

BIT.TRIP.Runner - Platformer that's really a rhythm game, but that's okay. Great visuals and audio, with sufficiently challenging levels. It actually gets rather difficult very quickly. I wouldn't say it was for everyone, but there are plenty of vids around that you can look it up and decide if it appeals to you or not. I enjoyed it, but I did buy it on a whim and it was only when I started properly getting into it that I began to enjoy it more. Completing it was mostly a relief, even if I did enjoy the journey.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    NFS: Hot Pursuit - Great open world racing game, with some great terrain and routes to drive on. Well polished and fun. Looks fantastic, okay soundtrack. If you've been interested in it, definitely do get at that price. (Also note that all the other NFS titles are similarly discounted, a fact well hidden.)
    Uh, have they just lowered the discount to 50% or is the store just being stupid momentarily?

I'm kinda in the mood for some arcadey racing and probably would've gotten it for five bucks ... but then racing games are pretty much hit or miss for me. What's the closest comparison to Hot Pursuit regarding the handling? Is it similar to Criterion's Burnout series? Also, did they get the sense of speed right?

I haven't played a NfS game in ages (except Shift 2, which is atypical for the series) so I really don't know what to expect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think they got the sense of speed just right, where going fast has that whole "I'm barely in control of it, but I am" satisfaction. The drifting/handling is supposedly a bit odd, but I never found any problem with it whatsoever. Being made by Criterion, it certainly feels like the only other Criterion game I've played, Burnout Paradise. Honestly, I really liked it. I put a good bit of time into it, and that was on the 360 with a capped 30fps (and I'm sure it dipped in places).

That said, yeah, it has gone back down to 50%. It obviously has been cheaper, so wait on it now. In the mean time, have a look at some videos to get impressions. I know Giant Bomb did a quick look, not sure on anybody else. I don't remember NFS having a daily deal, so as it presumably will, you could make a further decision then.