Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The Binding of Isaac (+expansion, Wrath of the Lamb) - Fantastic rogue-like. The bad: runs on flash, so every so often there's slow down/weirdness, but it's usually temporary. It usually takes till beating Mom once or twice to really get into it, but it gets far better as it goes along. No controller support (with xpadder and the like). Pros: Maddeningly addictive, plays very well, minimal learning curve. Comes highly recommend from someone who has spent over 130 hours on it. A good 'podcast game'. If you buy it, get the expansion pack too.

Alan Wake - Hmm. I find it hard to really sum up my feelings accurately with this game. The gamey parts are bad, but so is the overall plot and some of the dialogue, but it's not as bad as the component parts. I think the game is thoroughly mediocre. Combat simply doesn't change from the first time you encounter a foe till the last one. The plot did barely anything of interest for me, not helped by some of the characters being a bit grating. At times the game just feels really forced in what's happening. Also, some of the collectables will tell you what happens next/fill in the story, of which your mileage may vary on whether or not that's bad. What I will say in its favour though is that the presentation is fantastic and the atmosphere is incredibly well captured. My recommendation for this comes squarely off if you are really, really interested in it. If it's a passing interest, I'd tell you to pass.

Castle Crashers - Pretty fun brawl'em side-scroller. It can get a bit boring and grindy at higher levels by yourself, but the game is quite obviously designed for co-op. If you're looking for a game in this vain, you could do an awful lot worse and probably not too much better.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    That's when you ask an American to help you out :p
    heh. I forgot the game was on sale and first remembered it again about eight minutes before the sale was over, so there wasn't much time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    So much weirdness in the sale this time around. I'm pretty sure the first time the Sonic pack went up it had every Sonic game in it, then when it went up again it was just SA2, Generations and both parts of Sonic 4 for the same price. Hilariously, each game was shown as 50% off but the bundle was 75% off, and yet managed to be £0.06 more expensive than buying all of the games separately. That's because the bundle's normal price was a staggering £90 or so versus the individual games' total of £40-50.

Still, shouldn't complain, this is really helping me save money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinglebob View Post
    The Fable games are back up (if you're interested, 3 is good but PC controls suck) and I was wondering is there any difference between the Fable: Lost Chapters I bought at release on disc and the version on Steam?
    No, I don't even know if there is a patch between the versions.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I'm pretty sure the first time the Sonic pack went up it had every Sonic game in it, then when it went up again it was just SA2, Generations and both parts of Sonic 4 for the same price.
    It did. It was a fantastic pack considering. Now as it stands, it has one good game (Generations), one bad game (Episode 1), one that's probably not aged well (Adventure 2) and one that's painfully mediocre (Episode 2). Not great.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Just over half a day left to grab Mark of the Ninja for half off. Entirely worth it. I'm four levels in and I can easily say I've not played a more satisfying platformer since Super Metroid. Multiple paths to victory, tight controls, pitch-perfect atmosphere, and masterfully balanced feedback. My only Steam sale purchase so far, and probably enough to keep me happy.

Someone convince be to get Chivalry. Is it kinda like Mount and Blade?

If you want something like M&B but multiplayer, go for War of the Roses.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Someone convince be to get Chivalry. Is it kinda like Mount and Blade?
    If you want M&B, either get M&B or War of the Roses

If you want ultra-violence and pure chaos, get Chivalry :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Just over half a day left to grab Mark of the Ninja for half off. Entirely worth it. I'm four levels in and I can easily say I've not played a more satisfying platformer since Super Metroid. Multiple paths to victory, tight controls, pitch-perfect atmosphere, and masterfully balanced feedback. My only Steam sale purchase so far, and probably enough to keep me happy.
    Someone in a video I watched called it Batman AA's Challenge Rooms mixed with the original Ninja Gaiden - I think that's a fair description but you need to sprinkle on "polished to fuck and back" - and add a side-disclaimer of it being a bit consoley and benefitting from a controller to do it's thing...

Network Hub
    I haven't bought anything, I always used to and never played the games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I was going to ask if Ridge Racer Unbounded is worth the £8-9, then I saw the above comment and realised I probably wouldn't play it for ages anyway, so thanks!

Reposting here from the Smuggling ring since I've got no replies: still looking to buy a copy off a 4-pack of Ace of Spades.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Might be worth mentioning that Doom III (not BFG edition) is all you need to play the much praised thief conversion The Dark Mod and is only £1.99 for both it and the expansion. I bought it on that premise.

Network Hub
    There are actually quite a few titles that interest me in the daily deals today, but I've resolved not to buy anything due to the fact that my backlog is already quite big and I can't imagine playing anything I buy now for any notable length of time for quite a while.

Just realized it's like 3 days before the sale ends. Anyone going to start a "Your Haul" thread soon?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I was going to ask if Ridge Racer Unbounded is worth the £8-9, then I saw the above comment and realised I probably wouldn't play it for ages anyway, so thanks!
    Too late for you but I picked-up RRU a few weeks back (cheap retail copy - registers on Steam anyway) and I love it.

There are 2 disclaimers to that tho

1 - it's not a Ridge Racer game - it's Flatout2 with a Namco skin, most of the nasty rough edges polished-off and most of the silly minigames banished
    2 - it has a bit of Burnout 3 (demolishing other cars) added for good measure - but it's nowhere near as good as BO3

From that you could conclude anything you liked, I guess - I liked most of the SP campaign, the online challenges, the city building - and I disliked the Stunt/Time trial stuff, the Truck Crashing stuff (a Flatout minigame, effectively) and most of the user-created content :)
    Last edited by trjp; 02-01-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Get Miasmata while it's 50% off if you haven't yet and have any interest at all in survival and/or exploration games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Crusader Kings 2 is on sale for another 3 hours from this post for a tenner. My understanding is none of the DLC is required to enjoy it and they only add music and some extra playable races or something? I'm interested to get the game and I'm just wondering is any DLC "required"?