Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Universal Hamster View Post
    I discovered quite by chance that Simbin's racing games are 75% off on steam ATM, so I was able to avail myself of GT Legends for £2.25.

Why are these deals not more visible? Makes me wonder what else I've been missing out on.
    You can keep an eye out for other deals like that via http://www.steamgamesales.com/
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Was the demo updated? The patches fixed the controls and FOV.
    No idea. That sounds like something it would be very good to know, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    If you have a controller Binary Domain plays like a dream. Just increase the vertical FOV a bit.
    That should be "if you have a controller and you can play shooters with a controller..."

Those of us afflicted with TAS (thumbstick aversion syndrome) can't aim for shit on a controller, which turns any shooter designed for a controller into an exercise in frustration and little else.
    Last edited by vinraith; 24-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Elder Scrolls flash sale - Skyrim overpriced as usual but Morrowind and Oblivion for cheaps if that's your bag

Wait a second. I'm pretty certain I saw Alan Wake in the vote for 75% off, but it somehow ends up being the winner with 50%? That and setting popular games at mostly a maximum of 50% discount, as opposed to prior sale events/competitor deals, make me question what's going on at Valve. This is odd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    This is odd.
    Such a discrepancy has come up before, and though I've not seen it myself, some have suggested that it briefly shows how the vote ended. That would suggest Alan Wake got 75% of the vote.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Such a discrepancy has come up before, and though I've not seen it myself, some have suggested that it briefly shows how the vote ended. That would suggest Alan Wake got 75% of the vote.
    Alan Wake got roughly 38%, so that's debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehenkie View Post
    Wait a second. I'm pretty certain I saw Alan Wake in the vote for 75% off, but it somehow ends up being the winner with 50%? That and setting popular games at mostly a maximum of 50% discount, as opposed to prior sale events/competitor deals, make me question what's going on at Valve. This is odd.
    But Alan Wake is 75% off.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    But Alan Wake is 75% off.
    You are correct, it is now. Looks like either the system is not adjusting things correctly. Saw Skyrim at 40% off on the flash sale icon while it's 50% as well. Odd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The player choice sales are never the ones I want.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    That should be "if you have a controller and you can play shooters with a controller..."

Those of us afflicted with TAS (thumbstick aversion syndrome) can't aim for shit on a controller, which turns any shooter designed for a controller into an exercise in frustration and little else.
    You realise that we weren't born with a skill you lack - it's not genetic - it's called "practice".

I picked-up Forza 4 recently - mainly to challenge people to "Star in a reasonably priced car" contests (it has the Kia and the track) and the number of people who are all "Oh I can't use those joystick things" and then I show them how to do it and 10 mins later they're "beaten your time fucker" ;)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You realise that we weren't born with a skill you lack - it's not genetic - it's called "practice".
    Back in my day (C64), real computer gaming used joysticks, darnit. Uphill both ways.

Sure, if I was willing to spend a lot of time playing shooters with a fundamentally less precise control scheme I'd get better at it. I'm not sure why I'd want to do that, though. It doesn't sound like much fun, after all, and my gaming time is limited enough as it is.

So, to bring it back, the question is whether Binary Domain's keybord and mouse controls were significantly improved, because there's no way I'm playing a shooter with a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    Back in my day (C64), real computer gaming used joysticks, darnit. Uphill both ways.
    Heh, yeah. I distinctly remember playing Wolfenstein 3d with a damn flight stick.
    Last edited by vinraith; 24-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The shoulder chip is out again - "fundamentally less precise" - once again you need to accept the game you're being offered and not the one in your head - games which use pads are designed for that 'lack of precision' you are rueing (indeed they will often cripple KBM to counter that advantage).

Halo proved that pads were not only an acceptable FPS controller and but that you could build a game around one BETTER than any FPS before it. PC games talked of speed and accuracy - Halo delivered smarter enemies/better set-pieces and levels - it rewrote the book YEARS ago.

I was once a cursor keys man - I played Doom with those - it took me an effort to switch to WASD+MOUSE but I didn't look back :)

Recently I was talking to someone who's been playing Forge and they said the revelation was switching to a pad. It gave them a less accuracy/turn speed but it opened-up loads of options for them to use spells - more buttons at their fingertips (WASD requires 3 fingers - a stick only 1) and the game simply played better as a result.

It's a case of playing the game offered and not the one in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Heh, yeah. I distinctly remember playing Wolfenstein 3d with a damn flight stick.
    Killing virtual Nazis properly requires a real trigger. Kids these days, pressing buttons or clicking mice in their NRA-disapproved murder-simulators.

We were too poor back then for a joystick with a trigger--just a little button on the base for the left hand.
    Last edited by F. Lynx Pardinus; 24-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.

The shoulder chip is out again - "fundamentally less precise" - once again you need to accept the game you're being offered and not the one in your head - games which use pads are designed for that 'lack of precision' you are rueing (indeed they will often cripple KBM to counter that advantage).
    Or I could, you know, play something else. The need to cripple KBM, and the presence of auto aim or lock-on mechanics in essentially every controller-centric FPS on the market, more than proves the "fundamentally less precise" claim. After that it's just a matter of whether I want to play a game that is deliberately preventing me from being able to look around freely and aim precisely. I don't, so rather than "accept the game I'm offered" I'll choose not to buy it. My backlog will thank me.

The remaining question, then, is whether Binary Domain is one of these games. I gather it is, from what you're saying?
    Last edited by vinraith; 24-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Today's stuff wot you could purchase thinks:
    Mass Effect - Obviously became more divisive as it went along, but of the two on offer, I think they're great games. 1 offers more (better) story and a bigger universe, but with not-great gameplay. 2 offers better gameplay, but a story that isn't as big as 1. That said, I think by now you'd know if you'd want ME or not. I think they're both good and could happily recommend them.

Sonic stuff - Alright, I just did a count and to buy everything on sale separately, it comes to £44.50. So essentially, buying the pack gets you everything at 75% off (£22). My recommendation; if the price of the games you want comes to over that £22 mark individually, buy the pack. You might be surprised by the other offerings. Like ME, I imagine you know by now if you like Sonic, so I'll just run down the ones you'd want to get if you wanted to get into Sonic, then bunker down on maybe one or two titles with particular points.

Get: Sonic 1,2, 3&Knuckles - 2 and 3&K are generally speaking the best of 2D. You'd get 1 because it's where it all started, but the sequels obviously refine and improve.

Avoid: 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine.

Novelty fun: All-Stars Racing lacks online multiplayer, has much improved sequel coming out early next year which actually has online multiplayer, but is generally seen as being a fun arcade racer.
    Spinball...it's a pinball game that's very hard. Has great music. It's fun for a blast, but it doesn't have too much staying power.

Possiblies: Adventure series. I've played Adventure 1 some time ago. I don't think it holds up. The port also isn't great. Haven't played Adventure 2, but I believe many of the complaints hold trueish, although some of the levels look alright. The issue of "cast of characters" comes from these games, along with stupid stories and not actually playing as Sonic. I can't in good faith recommend them, but others can. Die-hards only, I think.

Really? REALLY?: Sonic 4. Episode 1 made me a little upset, whilst Ep2 is merely mediocre. Both have bad level designs, weak music and generally miss the spot. If you're going to get any, get 2, but you really have to love all of Sonic to want these.

Please buy this if you have liked Sonic at any point in your life, be it old or new: Generations. It's a great platformer in its own right and the gameplay is a really neat matching of classic 2D Sonic and the newer 3/2.5D Sonic. Controls well, has fantastic presentation, but does require a controller to really play at all well. Also has some modding support, with new levels in the works. This all said, Generations has been on sale for more before, so if you're looking to get only this, wait and see if somewhere else does it better.

If I was going to buy any Sonic titles in this sale, it'd be 1-3, CD and Generations. Take of that what you will.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 24-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.