Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    All of Call of Duties on sale except Blops II. Laaaaaaaame.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The remaining question, then, is whether Binary Domain is one of these games. I gather it is, from what you're saying?
    Yes, it's lock-on/bit of robot targetting and stuff like that - it doesn't reward carefully shooting out the rivets individually ;)

I actually like the 'semi-auto-targetting' stuff tbh - it makes the game more into a series of 'moves' - it makes things flow better - it results in astonishingly brilliant games like Vanquish, which would never have existed if KBM were mandatory :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    IIRC, the RPS WIT wasn't particularly kind to it.
    Found it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...k-of-orcs-men/
    Meh, I stopped listening to reviews after I loved Resonance of Fate.

But damn, it has ACT/Control. Anyone have experience with it? The website says it doesn't install anything and that it only sends activation info to the server when you activate the game and when you revoke the activation. But I'd like confirmation that it's not as bad as DRMs like Starforce and SecuROM can be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Yes, it's lock-on/bit of robot targetting and stuff like that - it doesn't reward carefully shooting out the rivets individually ;)
    Good to know, thanks for the confirmation!

I actually like the 'semi-auto-targetting' stuff tbh - it makes the game more into a series of 'moves' - it makes things flow better - it results in astonishingly brilliant games like Vanquish, which would never have existed if KBM were mandatory :)
    It's not like I'm trying to stamp out that particular type of design, or like I could even if I was, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I disagree that it doesn't reward. Shooting robots in the head will make them target the other robots instead. And for the bosses, you need to target a specific part to damage them.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    Im also one of those you cannot play a shooter with a controller. I played Binary Domain using kb+m but I had to turn down my cpi value to 800.
    Fighting mouse acceleration?

I disagree that it doesn't reward. Shooting robots in the head will make them target the other robots instead. And for the bosses, you need to target a specific part to damage them.
    I appreciate the alternate perspective. Honestly, I've got no business buying new games anyway, so for an edge case like this I think I'll just stick with a pass. For now, anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    IIRC, the RPS WIT wasn't particularly kind to it.
    Found it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...k-of-orcs-men/
    I'm curious if anyone who has played Game of Thrones and this can give some thoughts about how Of Orcs and Men compares? I really enjoyed Game of Thrones, so if this is similar I might pick it up. The WIT wasn't very kind, though. Decisions, decisions...
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Fighting mouse acceleration?

I appreciate the alternate perspective. Honestly, I've got no business buying new games anyway, so for an edge case like this I think I'll just stick with a pass. For now, anyway.

There is a mouse sensitivity in the settings, I didnt touch it since I can change the cpi value easily while in game.

If you can buy it for cheap I say go for it. The game has a nice story imho and shooting robots to pieces is fun!

I finished it in 8 hrs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I'm curious if anyone who has played Game of Thrones and this can give some thoughts about how Of Orcs and Men compares? I really enjoyed Game of Thrones, so if this is similar I might pick it up. The WIT wasn't very kind, though. Decisions, decisions...
    Hows the Game of Thrones? Im planning to pick it up before the winter sales end.
    Last edited by mnemnoch; 24-12-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Hows the Game of Thrones? Im planning to pick it up before the winter sales end.
    The writing is very strong, the combat is serviceable and the voice acting is kinda bad. If you're a fan of the books you'll likely enjoy it more than you would otherwise, due to the excellent setting and characters. I liked the books very much, for what it's worth.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Game of Thrones is awesome. It's not a particularly outstanding RPG (although I think it's perfectly competent as an RPG, especially if you liked Dragon Ages's combat as it's more or less the same), but it has the best plot/writing/characters of any game this year, I think. I was more sucked into that game than any game I've played for a while.

Anyhow, really pissed at how Steam has "Spec:Ops" at 66% off, but raised the base price for the sale from 19.99 to 29.99. So it's actually more like 49% off.

I wanted that game so I just bought the Bioshock/Spec Ops pack off of Amazon for 10 bucks. It's 11 cents cheaper and comes with two extra games (plus they all register on steam). Steam really sucks this sale compared to amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    I'd like to go back to the first CoD, but while on sale (50% off) is still 10€... Too expensive for a ten years old game. I think I'll have to find my old CD.
    Not sure if you have CoD 2, but I think the warchest of CoD, CoD;UO and CoD2 is a little bit more (about £2 more, not sure about the euro cost). If memory serves me right UO was bloody great.
    Its still a bit much considering its age.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    I think the warchest of CoD, CoD;UO and CoD2 is a little bit more
    I played through them again over the summer. The lack of checkpoints and regenerating health in CoD and CoD:UO was a bit unnerving at first, but I think they've aged pretty well.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I'm thinking about Dark Souls for 15 dollars on Amazon.

Anyone know if that game is at all playable without a controller, though? I don't own a controller and don't want to buy one just for that. Plus, I've always been fine with keyboard/mouse in games where people insist you need a controller (e.g. Meatboy, etc).

But does that game have some kind of crazy "Street Fighter" type moves (ala Ryu's dragon punch, or something) that require an analogue stick to pull off correctly? Or is it manageable with kb+mouse?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    The default controls are pretty much ass, according to the intertubes, but I believe Durante's Fix tweaks it somewhat to make it bearable. You're still gimping yourself because the whole control scheme was designed around gamepads in the first place, but I do believe with the fixes inherent in Durante's Fix it's, at least, playable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Speaking of illogical investments, anyone play Modern Warfare 3? Specifically the SP campaign.

Assuming you enjoyed the previous call of duties, how does MW3 stack up? It still like playing a Michael Bay movie? And what is the length?

Usually I wait for them to reach 20 bucks, but kind of really in the mood for some now. But I would only ever be playing the SP (and maybe some of the challenge mission thingies), so yeah...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    It's off topic, yes, but someone asked me to post my thoughts on Ghost Recon Future Soldier... I'll be brief. Like a lot of Ubisoft games it's good but flawed, fortunately not fatally so. It is to Ghost Recon what Vegas is to Rainbow Six, enjoyable but completely different. Not tactical in the slightest, not in SP anyway. I imagine with human teammates it gets more involved.

I was going to buy Modern Warfare if it was cheapened, then I saw it was £10 and thought against it. Then I bought two copies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Speaking of illogical investments, anyone play Modern Warfare 3? Specifically the SP campaign.

Assuming you enjoyed the previous call of duties, how does MW3 stack up? It still like playing a Michael Bay movie? And what is the length?

Usually I wait for them to reach 20 bucks, but kind of really in the mood for some now. But I would only ever be playing the SP (and maybe some of the challenge mission thingies), so yeah...
    I might be a little bit off in that, I usually always enjoy the CoD campaigns but I will say that MW3 delivers what it promises, which is a big explodey game that lots of man talk and shooting happens in and manages to be entertaining while it happens as long as that is all your looking for. MW3 especially is better than MW2 by a long shot, it has a silly yet enjoyable story that doesn't have the stupidity of No Russian or the Nuke that MW2 did. If you've enjoyed Black Ops and the others, then sure, why not? But if you can wait, do it.

Personally I'm tempted to get the Warchest of Call of Duty 1/2 because I barely played them. How are they?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I'm thinking about Dark Souls for 15 dollars on Amazon.

Anyone know if that game is at all playable without a controller, though? ... But does that game have some kind of crazy "Street Fighter" type moves (ala Ryu's dragon punch, or something) that require an analogue stick to pull off correctly? Or is it manageable with kb+mouse?
    It works fine out of the box with a controller. The problem with mouse/keyboard control has nothing to do with the control challenges you mentioned above; it has everything to do with terrible mouse implementation by the game.

Using "dsmfix", mouse/keyboard control works really well. However, it took me about two hours to get dsmfix working with my setup, so that's clearly a barrier. And now that I've reinstalled Windows 7, it's stopped working yet again, so I have another period of troubleshooting (probably much shorter this time) to look forward to once I return home from holiday.

So the bottom line is that yes, mouse/keyboard works great in Dark Souls once you get dsmfix working right (and adjust your keyboard settings and get used to them). For most people, that's fairly straightforward; for some systems, it might require some additional pain and agony. The game is absolutely worth it, but you really should go into the experience with the expectation that you might have to invest extra time in troubleshooting the initial setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I might be a little bit off in that, I usually always enjoy the CoD campaigns but I will say that MW3 delivers what it promises, which is a big explodey game that lots of man talk and shooting happens in and manages to be entertaining while it happens as long as that is all your looking for. MW3 especially is better than MW2 by a long shot, it has a silly yet enjoyable story that doesn't have the stupidity of No Russian or the Nuke that MW2 did. If you've enjoyed Black Ops and the others, then sure, why not? But if you can wait, do it.
    I'm almost the oposite of this. I played the SP of mw2 and really enjoyed it, so I picked up the mw3 to see if it was as good and found it lacking. I found it to be far more hand-holdy than 2, and it seemed to have alot of endless waves of bad guys that only stopped spawning when you meet up with which ever npc was doing all the work for you.

On top of all that, I felt like the story was just trying too hard this time around. YYMV of course, but playing a "save the world with explosions" game where you only get to help some other boring npc save the world just didn't sit well with me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Hmm, I thought they laid off the 'now we kill off the player character...again!' stuff that plagued MW2 and that with completely nonsensical writing in some points just put me off it. Gameplay-wise I think they're pretty much identical and the respawning enemies has been in since CoD2, and never disappeared.