Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Does anyone else know what the deal is with the call of duty games refusing to go cheaper?
    I've always put it down to Activision being a bit out of touch with reality, it's the only real explanation for Modern Warfare never (as far as I know) going below 50% despite being as old as it is. But then again it is probably the best Call of Duty in terms of actual fun, so maybe it's just them being greedy.

Also, I feel it might be worth pointing out that Simbin's GTR, GTR2 and GT Legends are 70% off, so if you're into sim racing I recommend those, except... GTR is pointless if you have GTR2, and GTR2 is missing Ferrari and Porsche so you might be better off hunting it down on DVD, but it's quite rare these days. Also if you have GT Legends on disc you can redeem your multiplayer key for a Steam copy. Apparently the same is true for GTR2, but no one I know has actually had success with this (mainly because you can get free (legitimate) keys from somewhere and they don't work, or so I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And they are dicks who realize they can price gouge
    I'm not sure why them not deep-discounting makes them "dicks." If they make games that are entertaining enough that they still sell at only moderate discounts for years after the games release, good for Activision. Blizzard has a similar strategy.

ETA: Note that my perspective is slanted based on only enjoying single-player--I have nothing much to say about multiplayer functionality of games.
    Last edited by F. Lynx Pardinus; 20-12-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I own Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, the multiplayer in that is almost deserted. ;p

A shame though, I love some online shooting but 59 bucks is just too steep for me.
    That's why God invented F2P shooters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Wasn't that Al Gore?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    That's why God invented F2P shooters.
    But sadly, most of them are rubbish and loaded with cash shops.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    But sadly, most of them are rubbish and loaded with cash shops.
    An inconvenient truth.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    And once again it doesn't look like Kingdoms of Amular will go on sale at all.
    if you don't mind origin, koa + the two dlc packs will be on sale at amazon from the 21st to the 23rd for $11.99.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They value their product at that much and for the most part people keep buying it at those prices. They have no reason to drop it to absurd amounts. That is why there has been the discussion about sales and how they devalue their games. Apple could easily sell their products for a lot, lot cheaper, but they don't.

Now, since they sell a lot more on console than PC, I see why they do not discount them at this point for people willing to try it or play the campaign at a value option.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    ETA: There are several reports on the Steam forums that the game actually does work in Europe, despite the message saying it'll first be available in two months. Reports by people who've just bought the EU version on the sale, that is.
    That's not good enough, though.
    yeah, looks like it's been locked now. Apparently you can run the exe directly and still play, but then you won't have access to custom stuff.

ETA: Running the exe seems to only work if you ran the game before it was locked. Gifted copies from the US are also locked now.
    Last edited by Similar; 21-12-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I'd assume it's the same reason why you barely ever see eg. Beatles albums' prices being lowered - you know people are going to buy them all the time regardless, so why bother with lowering the price?
    Comparing Call of Duty to The Beatles makes my soul bleed, no matter how benign the comparison may be. Please stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    if you don't mind origin, koa + the two dlc packs will be on sale at amazon from the 21st to the 23rd for $11.99.
    Yeah, I've seen KOA on sale before too, outside of Steam. So, apparently someone really is making decisions about selling the game. They're just somehow concluding that being a big part of the Steam sales is not a good idea, which is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Yeah, I've seen KOA on sale before too, outside of Steam. So, apparently someone really is making decisions about selling the game. They're just somehow concluding that being a big part of the Steam sales is not a good idea, which is dumb.
    38 Studios self-published on Steam, but EA published everywhere else. Therefore, EA can authorize sales everywhere else, but not on Steam since they don't have authority over that version.

Obscure Node
    I have just been scammed by Steam... I can't believe they did something like this.
    I have been waiting for Arkham City for a LOOOONG while now. It has never appeared on Steam for my country.

And now, ITS THERE ON THE MAIN PAGE. But when you click on the flash sale, it TURNS INTO ARKHAM ASYLUM without any warning.

Stupid as I was in not noticing the subtle difference in the cover art, and in the spirit of urgency that a flash sale entails, I went on with the purchase and bought Arkham Asylum, thinking it was Arkham City.

Now, I am not saying Steam did this on purpose, but it is there, and if somebody were to register an official complaint, it would be a pretty valid complaint...

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I have just been scammed by Steam... I can't believe they did something like this.
    I have been waiting for Arkham City for a LOOOONG while now. It has never appeared on Steam for my country.

And now, ITS THERE ON THE MAIN PAGE. But when you click on the flash sale, it TURNS INTO ARKHAM ASYLUM without any warning.

Stupid as I was in not noticing the subtle difference in the cover art, and in the spirit of urgency that a flash sale entails, I went on with the purchase and bought Arkham Asylum, thinking it was Arkham City.

Now, I am not saying Steam did this on purpose, but it is there, and if somebody were to register an official complaint, it would be a pretty valid complaint...
    It is rather confusing.
    However, when you hover your mouse over it you will see it's a link to "Batman franchise" and not batman AC.

Fell free to use the following screenshots if you wish to complain:

bmac.JPG

bmac2.JPG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    Had a quick look at this, outside of Amazon Knights of Amalur is ĀÄ19,99 on Origin itself at the moment (in this region). It's description includes the hilariously amateurish translation: 'De zeer goed verkochte auteur R.A. Salvatore van de New York Times', in other words: "The very well sold author R.A Salvatore of the New York Times', which I can only assume was translated from something along the lines of 'The New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore'. Oh, EA.

Anyway, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is part of the new Steam Flash Deals, bumping its price down to Ä4,74. The Missing Link DLC, which is basically a mission cut from the main game, is down to Ä2,74. That's a bit of an odd price compared to the entire main game. Perhaps the best way to go here is to play the main game once, and grab the DLC for a second playthrough with a different style (stealth/violence/etc.) if you liked it enough. The implementation of this DLC mission, which wasn't originally cut because it was the best mission in the game (!), is made worse by the fact that it starts from a different executable, so you'll have to manually quit DEHR at the right time, launch the DLC, then go back to DEHR once you complete the missing mission. But anyway - the main game is definitely worth checking out.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    And once again it doesn't look like Kingdoms of Amular will go on sale at all.

It seems I'm not the only one waiting for Kingdoms of Amalur.
    The Amazon deal looks hot indeed, but I'm not interested in an Origin version, so here's hoping they'll do a Steam deal anyway.

According to www.steamprices.com, there has been one (minor) sale. But I guess 38 Studios was still in existence at that time.
    Last edited by PearlChoco; 21-12-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlChoco View Post
    It seems I'm not the only one waiting for Kingdoms of Amalur.
    The Amazon deal looks hot indeed, but I'm not interested in an Origin version, so here's hoping they'll do a Steam deal anyway.
    People need to get over their Origin hate, it's just an installer at the end of the day.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

It's not that I hate Origin (I don't like it though), I just like my games centralized in one launcher. Plus I like the achievements :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    It's not that I hate Origin (I don't like it though), I just like my games centralized in one launcher. Plus I like the achievements :)
    Once you've installed the game via origin you can add it to Steam as a third party game (I run pretty much all my games through Steam this way) . As far as I recall you don't need to run Origin to run KoA (unlike ME3 for instance).
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

I've also been waiting for the same reasons :]