Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Rainbow Vegas 2 is one of the best co-op games I've played, it wasn't perfect but the customization of your dudes was fun. And welcome to the " People who like conviction" club. We're pretty small. ;p
    I'll join cause I freaking loved Conviction

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar

RE: Rainbow Six series

I have a vague recollection of playing a Rainbow Six game (must have been the original) and I also remember enjoying the original Ghost Recon, mostly playing missions in co-op. Would I enjoy any of the "Vegas" games as a tactical demanding shooter or has the series been watered down along the line? Do they have full co-op campaigns and if so, are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    But Planet Side 2 is free. What did you do bro?
    I got 40k station cash.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Amazon's really kind of awesome this year. I highly encourage everyone to check them before buying from steam as they offer steam codes on quite a few games anyway.

Dead Island GOTY is currently--5.99 (it has it's flaws, but I personally really liked it)

Duke Nukem, Borderlands, Darkness 2--9.99 for the lot (all steamworks)

LA Noire GOTY 7.49 (it will undoubtedly be that cheap on steam too, but if you can't wait)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    I'll join cause I freaking loved Conviction
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    I have a vague recollection of playing a Rainbow Six game (must have been the original) and I also remember enjoying the original Ghost Recon, mostly playing missions in co-op. Would I enjoy any of the "Vegas" games as a tactical demanding shooter or has the series been watered down along the line? Do they have full co-op campaigns and if so, are they any good?
    Oh, it has been watered down a lot. But more in the sense that it is "movie tactics" rather than "Plan the crap out of this and cross your fingers". It has definitely become a different genre, but the shootouts are REALLY fun.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

So, Blood Bowl is on sale again. Does anyone know if the AI has been improved at all? Or if someone has a mod that will make the AI at least kind of decent. I'd even like a mod to simply give the AI better rolls than me. I'd never even played the board game before and I only ever lost a single match. I really enjoyed the game, but it became pointless pretty quickly.

I know I should play online, but it's hard for me to schedule the time for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    So, Blood Bowl is on sale again. Does anyone know if the AI has been improved at all?
    It has not. If anything, the developers have ignored the single player game with increasing brazenness as new versions have come along.

Or if someone has a mod that will make the AI at least kind of decent.
    Despite significant community effort, this hasn't really happened either. There are some mods that make single player suck slightly less, give the AI advantages etc, but at the end of the day you're still playing an opponent that doesn't know how to play the game, and shows little evidence that it knows what team it's playing at all.

The whole thing makes me very, very sad. I was so excited when they originally announced a PC version of Blood Bowl with single player, but through three iterations Cyanide has shown increasing contempt to anyone that wants their game to be more than a graphical version of FUMBBL with fewer options.

I know I should play online, but it's hard for me to schedule the time for that.
    In my experience, nothing turns a fun game into a dismal chore like having to keep a multiplayer schedule.
    Last edited by vinraith; 22-12-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Today's thoughts:
    Dawn of War - DoW1 and 2 are different games, so whilst 2 is more 'polished' and fresher, it doesn't necessarily make it better. I would say the community for 2 is larger, having moved on from 1, but there's still plenty to get from 1. Anyhow.

DoW1+Winter Assault+Dark Crusade - a great standard fare resource gathering/base building/troop sending RTS. Good story in the campaigns of the first two, with an interesting meta-game map in Dark Crusade that makes it a rather unique take on single player. The races are balanced and whilst you may not find the game-play totally exciting and original, it's well entrenched in the 40K universe and is unquestionably fun.

DoW2+Chaos Rising+Retribution - note that DoW2+CR require GFWL, whilst Retribution specifically does not. That said, you'll only be playing those first two for the campaign as there's no reason to play their multiplayer any more. The difference here is a focus on smaller, more focused groups. Roles are more important to pay attention to, whilst the environment is fully utilised for defence and what not. The focus here is no longer on big armies duking it out, but on smaller squads and the odd vehicle. There's also The Last Stand, a co-op horde/wave mode that is rather fun and can easily satisfy your MP component. The single player is pretty cool, although the campaigns in Retribution play out ostensibly the same, so repeated play-throughs will be harder to do.

All-in-all, they're both great in their own ways. For the price, it's an absolute steal. At the same time, you might want to look at getting the THQ pack, which isn't too much more, but comes with loads more games and all of the DoW content. You'll also note I ignored the DoW1 expansion "Soul Storm". There's a reason for that. You won't want to play it.