Antichamber coming Jan 31st

Well, that came outta nowhere. Antichamber is one of those award-winning, revolutionary indie games that none of us have actually gotten to play. But now it's finally arriving.

From Gamasutra:

Bruce explains, "I have a problem with puzzle games, and my problem stems from the fact that they will often show you how a mechanic works, then ask you to apply your knowledge."

"That's not a puzzle. In fact, it's the opposite of a puzzle. That's homework. Like being told a maths equation, and then proving that you can do it 100 times when the variables change. Games like these want you to feel clever, and will give you all kinds of bells and whistles, achievements and sirens when you do what the designer wanted, but it's all artificial."

This isn't just limited to puzzle games, he says. For example, in games where you've given a quick time event to complete, you're given the opportunity to watch something potentially great, but never actually allowed to do something great yourself.

"None of that compares to the feeling of actually being clever," he adds. "Encountering a problem, feeling stuck while your mind races through possibilities, and then having things click together in your head."

Sounds promising. Really looking forward to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Whats the deal with indies making platformers and 2D shit all the time,can't they think of anything better.

Antichamber is neither 2D or a platformer, you clodpate. It's a puzzle game that messes with your preconceptions of how space works, forces you to think in non-euclidean geometry, turns logic upside-down, and things like that. Here's what John wrote.

Awesome. I didn't play the mod when it came out as I didn't have ut3. I've been expecting the standalone version since then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Whats the deal with indies making platformers and 2D shit all the time,can't they think of anything better.
    Maybe check out this thread for information on a cool looking indie game that is neither platformer nor 2D.

Well i used thread to express myself,i didn't meant that for the game in op..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well i used thread to express myself,i didn't meant that for the game in op..
    There's a new thread button, you know.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    There's a new thread button, you know.

Really ? Tell me more.

Excellent news. I have been following this game since when it was still called Hazard. Most definitely a day-one purchase for me.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Platforms and 2D is a lot easier to learn and do than 3D. Free versions of Unity and Unreal etc are making 3D cheap and simple but when it comes down to textures, modeling and animations, its a lot more man hours to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Well i used thread to express myself
    I always think corn dogs smell really good when I walk past the corn dog booth at the fair or someplace, but on the few occasions that I've tasted them they don't taste nearly as good as they smell. It's really frustrating. :(
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.