Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 125
  1. #1
    Activated Node thekev506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    80

    Really obscure old games you'd love to see available

    I'm a big fan of gog.com and try to buy my indie games through them as I like their anti-DRM ethic. There's one game I would love to see available on there, and though I know it'll never end up being available because it's an EA game, I can still pretend.



    ARL 96!

    I'm from Rugby League country, it's my sport of choice, and it has never been a sport graced with high quality games. ARL 96 on the PC was amazing, though. It was the sensible soccer of rugby league, and I have spent countless hours trying to hunt it down online in recent years so that I could play it again, though sadly to no avail. The game CD is incredibly rare now, most of them being in Australia, so it looks as though my dream of playing this game again will never be fulfilled :(

    If you could pick one old game to be sold on steam/gog/whatever, what would it be?

  2. #2
    Lesser Hivemind Node Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester / Finland
    Posts
    933
    I'm not sure it's all that obscure but I really wish Heretic 2 would get a chance to resurface at some point. Such an excellent game but completely overshadowed by its predecessor/Hexens and never gets a mention or digital release even when its brethren do.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

  3. #3
    Lesser Hivemind Node airtekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    784
    I'd love to see a digital version of Grim Fandango at some stage.

    That and System Shock 2.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,851
    Not obscure in the slightest, but the Hidden & Dangerous series on a DD service would be nice. I know hte first game was freewared at some point (I forget if there were ads) and I own the second as a disc, but never managed to find the expansion (didn't know it existed until it was long off the market for reasonable prices).

    In terms of an actual "obscure" game, I would love it if Bushido Blade and the Dark Cloud games would hit the PSN already. Both serieses were amazing but sleeper hits. The former is trivial (it is a PSX game and I can confirm that the PS3 can play the first one if you just shove the disc in :p) and now that they have a method for PS2 emulation the latter should work as well.

    But I suspect this was PC oriented :p

    Also airtekh: System Shock 2 is probably one of the most widely known games among (non-casual) PC gamers these days, if only for the rabid fans constantly demanding it show up places
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    3,857
    Quote Originally Posted by thekev506 View Post
    I'm a big fan of gog.com and try to buy my indie games through them as I like their anti-DRM ethic. There's one game I would love to see available on there, and though I know it'll never end up being available because it's an EA game, I can still pretend.
    EA and GOG

    It could happen!

    I had a game called Machines years and years ago, back in windows 3.1 I believe. It was a RTS where everything was a robot and you could control every unit.

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node airtekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also airtekh: System Shock 2 is probably one of the most widely known games among (non-casual) PC gamers these days, if only for the rabid fans constantly demanding it show up places
    I know that, and you know that, but did you really think it was not going to be mentioned in thread about games which aren't currently available?

    If I hadn't mentioned it, I guarantee someone else would have.

    Also, how exactly do you define how 'obscure' a game is?

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I know that, and you know that, but did you really think it was not going to be mentioned in thread about games which aren't currently available?

    If I hadn't mentioned it, I guarantee someone else would have.

    Also, how exactly do you define how 'obscure' a game is?
    Just because other people act like idiots doesn't mean you have to :p

    And personally, I would say "obscure" to be something not everyone on the forums will/should know about. Its like listing saying "I like Evil Dead" or "THe Boondock Saints" or even "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" when someone asks for an obscure film. Maybe at one point it WAS obscure, but it is as mainstream as most games get these days.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  8. #8
    Activated Node thekev506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    EA and GOG

    It could happen!

    I had a game called Machines years and years ago, back in windows 3.1 I believe. It was a RTS where everything was a robot and you could control every unit.
    That's just what I needed, a reason to now constantly keep checking to see if they've picked it up!

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    627
    i feel like typing grim fandango a thousand times, but i won't.

    just know that i /feel/ that.

    also, gundato: if you're going to nit, you might want to not have already posted about (1) a non-obscure game yourself, and (2) obscure console games when the thread is about games coming to steam and/or gog.

    or, you know, just not nit in the first place.
    Last edited by Spider Jerusalem; 20-12-2012 at 07:06 PM.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    2,979
    Could use a few more Sid Meier games on there like Sim Golf and Gettysburg.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,522
    I don't know if I'd call it obscure but damn it, I want a digital download version of X-Men Legends 2 available somewhere.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,528
    wet the sexy empire!!

  13. #13
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Not obscure in the slightest, but the Hidden & Dangerous series on a DD service would be nice. I know hte first game was freewared at some point (I forget if there were ads) and I own the second as a disc, but never managed to find the expansion (didn't know it existed until it was long off the market for reasonable prices).
    The freeware version include the expansion: http://www.gamershell.com/news_9714.html

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by mzlapq View Post
    The freeware version include the expansion: http://www.gamershell.com/news_9714.html
    Expansion of the sequel.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    One game I wished was available on GoG or steam:
    The Neverhood



    Ended up shelling out a 100 bucks for a sealed Windows 95 copy....
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I'd love to see a digital version of Grim Fandango at some stage.

    That and System Shock 2.
    For some strange reason, the Virgin Megastore at a nearby mall had 100's of Grim Fandango and Full Throttle CDs conveniently packaged in DVD boxes for $2.5 each about two years ago. Never knew why the sudden burst of old school gold, but I didn't question, just purchased and left with a happy smile.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

  17. #17
    Network Hub bad guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    325
    Big Red Racing

    Road Rash
    Mechwarrior 2
    Last edited by bad guy; 20-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.

  18. #18
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    443
    Not obscure but I'd love to see No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 on gog or Steam

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,091
    I wouldn't say no to an influx of new Rocket Jockey players.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  20. #20
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I wouldn't say no to an influx of new Rocket Jockey players.
    hah. indeed. i spent many hours mastering the fine art of rocket jockeying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •