Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to stay on the right side of comment moderation?

Sorry if this post is noise, but I posted a comment to the Max Payne 3 thread and it was held for moderation, and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. There were a couple of links in the comment, but they were just to other forum comments...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Usually comments are auto-modded if there's a high link-to-text ratio.

Other than that, refrain from calling other people motherfuckers while people are looking for an excuse to report you in a fit of pique and you'll be fine.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Other than that, refrain from calling other people motherfuckers while people are looking for an excuse to report you in a fit of pique and you'll be fine.
    Poor Sam Jackson never stood a chance on here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Poor Sam Jackson never stood a chance on here...
    It was used in a familial manner, too!

I need to start punitively reporting people when arguments aren't going my way. If arguments ever start not going my way.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    ...Did this thread get moderated?

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    ...Did this thread get moderated?
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to ban you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Banned
    Don't make any offhanded jokes about sexism because they'll ban you from reading anything on the site.

Obscure Node
    One of my comments got auto-moderated today, and it still hasn't been approved - even tho I included no links and no language that could even be potentially viewed as bad. I don't get it - I've posted maybe a dozen times in the past few years with no problems. Any suggestions on how to avoid this for the future? Definitely dampens the enthusiasm for posting - I was just answering another poster's direct request for tech support/feedback.
    Last edited by suibhne; 25-12-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by suibhne View Post
    One of my comments got auto-moderated today, and it still hasn't been approved - even tho I included no links and no language that could even be potentially viewed as bad. I don't get it - I've posted maybe a dozen times in the past few years with no problems. Any suggestions on how to avoid this for the future? Definitely dampens the enthusiasm for posting - I was just answering another poster's direct request for tech support/feedback.
    Post length may be a factor. I posted a reasonably long reply with no links or bad language in which is awaiting approval.

Quote Originally Posted by suibhne View Post
    Thing about automodded posts is that it takes half of forever for them to be approved as the mods basically never check the forums.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Activated Node
    I seem to be bumping up on this a little bit too lately :S, Does it have anything to do with word or character count? I type way too fast and ramble a lot, before I know it i'm scrolling through my comment, was wondering if it's that, or occasional swearing maybe? I'm a little guilty of that too :S.

Similarity to phraseology a spammer would use, most likely.

If I were you I'd just rephrase my message and repost. By the time they get around to approving the old message, the discussion will have gone to the next page anyway.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Don't make any offhanded jokes about sexism because they'll ban you from reading anything on the site.
    Andy Gray stood no chance either then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Not sure if this is the right way to do this, but I don't want to cause unnecessary hassle.

I've just had a comment marked as spam, presumably because I kept editing it a few minutes after posting (this is a bad habit - I'm shit at proof reading in text boxes, but can do it quite well when reading a formatted post/comment). A link came up offering to let me connect my neural conbrainulatrix to the RPS micro-eye, that I might seek absolution in its slightly dehydrated gaze, but when I clicked on the link I got 404ed and a small dimensional rift obliterated my bin, the latter of which was actually rather convenient.

So um, anyway, what's the best way to get myself off the shitlist? Or is my life-alteringly magnificent comment lost forever? And ... hm. Well, I suppose it wouldn't be prudent to tell people how not to trip the spam filter, so never mind that bit.

Edit: Actually, belay those orders, space order belaying guy. I might be alright after all.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 02-01-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: See what I mean?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, editing comments, especially editing comments with links in/long comments has frequently been a path to tripping the spam-filter.
    Presumably because some spam bots used to place legit-looking dummy comments, then edit in their nefarious links afterwards.

I've just managed to use the C-euphemism about seven times in describing my opinion of the characters in Watchmen, and it was the first post I've ever had fall foul of moderation. Not sure if it was the language or the criticism that got flagged up.

Are you sure it isn't your poor understanding of what 'euphemism' means that's causing you trouble?

In the context I was using it, it fits the very dictionary definition, so yeah I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    C-euphemism
    Cockmongler? Cuntface? Cumtart? Chink? Coon? Cooze? Conservative?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl