Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    My pick goes to The Muppets. We hadn't seen them in over ten years, and they milk the nostalgic tears from you with awesome songs like Pictures in my Head. It's really funny to both adults and children, and I love Tex Richman who's completely unable to laugh.

He could've just said no. HE COULD'VE JUST SAID NO!
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 22-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Banned
    The Hobbit ofc. Because dwarves.

perhaps not my film of the year, but I thought Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy was brilliant. It seemed to capture the era quite well, was a proper slow spy thriller, and it had a lot of solid actors giving solid performances.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    perhaps not my film of the year, but I thought Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy was brilliant. It seemed to capture the era quite well, was a proper slow spy thriller, and it had a lot of solid actors giving solid performances.
    Released last year, stop cheating!

The only new films I've seen this year are The Dark Knight Rises and Looper. Dark Knight Rises was strangely dull (I like the previous two), Looper was pretty good. So I guess Looper gets my vote.

NZ's not listed on the IMDB page for it (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340800/releaseinfo) but it says 19th January for Australia, so there!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Technically The Mupets was last year for America I wish they would sort out release days I don't like waiting for things.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    We usually have a thread for Albums of the year but I don't think we have had films of the year before, i think we should change it because putting things into lists at the end of the year is a pleasurable activity that many people like so yeah to kick us off here is mine. I have to warn you its quite blockbuster heavy this year since i didn't have the money or the location to see the more indie films unfortunately. Hopefully I'll catch up though some of them look interesting.

The Muppets

A lovely film has everything a film should have, great jokes that are silly and break the fourth wall and heartfelt emootions that make you cry. You feel good and aww after you watch it, also it has songs that sound almost exactly like Flight Of The Conchords songs what else do you need?

The Dark Knight Rises

I think people who disliked this didn't really get it to be honest, though I think the title should have really told everyone it should have been called gotham Rises because thats the theme how a city gets to fight for itself through one last hurrah. Its pretty bleak for a blockbuster and the last act is again a sit at the edge of your seat affair like Inception was. It is thought provoking and made me think about it for a long time afterwards. Though it probably could of cut about half hour from its running time.

The Avengers

The Yin to Rises Yang its basically just trying to have cool splash pages moments and entertaining big popcorn moments and it succeeds. great entertaining chracters funny and witty script and great action, probably the best fun movie in awhile shows how poor Transformers really was.

Skyfall

Taking cues from Dark Knight is this really good installment of Bond making it much more character driven and much more grounded though still nodding a lot to previous bonds. has some of the best fight and action scenes this year and it humanises Bond and M. It also has a great creepy turn from Bardem and a great two punch theme on Mothers and Digital versus old fashioned spycraft.

Prometheus

Despite its problems and despite it feeling like two films smashed together i really liked this film it has a nice thriller bombast to it and the second half is just full of horrible and exciting things. i can't wait to see it again with other scenes in it because I think it is an underrated gem, not perfect no but smart enough.
    Agreed, those are great movies and highlights of this year. I haven't watched The Muppets though but I have heard a lot of good things about it. The Hobbit need to be added to that list, though.

I guess The Raid (Redemption or not) deserve an honorable mention. There's almost nothing like that this year in the mainstream (or festivals). So much mindless violence for a movie.

Also! Les MisÚrables. 25 December for cool people and mid June for most of the world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Tarantino delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    The Hobbit ofc. Because dwarves.
    this. no contest
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

I might have To Put The Hobbit on my list, but thats only after one viewing but it was a magnificent viewing.

Network Hub
    Have to give it to Cabin In The Woods, personally. Easily the most interesting, and just plain fun movie that I watched this year.

Having just watched Jack Reacher, I'm guessing that is going to have to be my film of the year, not because it was great, but it was the first time I've been to the cinema this year.

It manages to fail to build much mystery, instead opting to show just what the bad guys are up to at several times, doesn't appear to have much tension, is short on fantastic set-pieces, and the one word I came up with to describe it was 'silly'. Certainly watchable and mostly competent, but mostly forgettable.

That has Werner Herzog as the bad guy which to be honest makes me want to see it lol

Fact: Werner Herzog is the main character in all of his documentaries and every movie and show he acts in.

Shame he does virtually nothing in this film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Was SHAME from 2012,if so this is one of the contenders for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Have to give it to Cabin In The Woods, personally. Easily the most interesting, and just plain fun movie that I watched this year.
    Almost forgot about it, I laugh and scared at the same time.
    notsoFunFact : I come to the theater expecting a very good thriller. That's the impression I got from the trailer. Very surprising

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Was SHAME from 2012,if so this is one of the contenders for me.
    Starring Michael's Fassbender (and no, that was 2011).

Activated Node
    I've seen very few of this year's movies.

Prometheus: There are some flaws in the script and the editing could've been better, but I really like this one. One of the best looking films I've seen. Did not live up to its potential but still very good.

Dark knight rises: I thought the story was kind of crazy sometimes, but it didn't ruin my suspension of disbelief. Very entertaining.

The Hobbit: Very well made and well acted. But a lot of the story and dialogue was hollow and unconvincing IMO, so this was a pretty big disappointment for me. Definitely not bad though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Bestest of 2012:

The Raid: Redemption

They sure were kicking each other good and music was alright. I was a bit drunk before going into theater though. But nothing else this year wasn't even close anyway. It wasn't shown here in 2011 so I consider it a 2012 movie.

Didn't like of 2012:

1. Prometheus:

Scientists in the future are total idiots. Whole theater was laughing every five minutes. Maybe translation was bad as usual? I dislike movie theaters exactly because they show a dubbed version and our dubs are notoriously bad.

2. Dark Knght Rises:

I don't like Batman movies, old ones and new ones too. Last one had a Heath Ledger in it who actually enjoyed his role, I think, this one is comically serious and boring, very long too. Looks like actors were forced to act at gunpoint. Wasn't interested anyway, didn't care, probably shouldn't even watched.

Didn't see of 2012:

Cloud Atlas:

I tried reading the novel and bounced right off of it. So, didn't bother to see a movie.

Avengers:

Waited for a BDrip but wasn't interested enough to check if its uploaded already.

End of Watch:

Not sure if interested. Shakycam is not something I like. Have a BDrip somewhere, can't bring myself to watch.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 30-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.