RPS swallowing comments in long comments threads

So I've posted comments in the "rps asks what book should be a game" article and maybe because it is 5 pages long it keeps swallowing the comments even though they'vebeen posted. Even though I can see the post in the "Respond to our gibber" box if I click on the link there it doesn't show the post to me. This is the link in the box : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...comment-748042
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I posted one earlier and it didn't show up. Then a few hours later I checked back and it was there. Perhaps Wordpress (RPS does use Wordpress, doesn't it?) is being slow because the thread is so long.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Okay. What's up with the site? I keep seeing comments posted on the side of the page but can't find them in the comments themselves. There seems to be some kind of delay on the posting of messages in long threads. Very strange and very annoying. One of them looked relevant to my interests, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not entirley sure the fault is at RPS's end here. Could be a caching issue. Make sure you do a force refresh (ctrl+F5). If that doesn't fix it, could still be your ISP's caching.

Activated Node

Fixed

Seemed to be a bug in a javascript used by Wordpress. All the comments are actually loaded at once, you can see them if you do "show source" in your browser. Then jquery scripts create "ol" html tags corresponding to the different comment pages, and then sort in the different comments with "li" tags inside. Only the last "ol" tag didn't contain any List Items at all. So I'm guessing an "off by one" error in a loop somewhere.

I started looking at this a couple of days ago to see if I could solve it for RPS, but it seems it has been fixed now.

Mine is still being eaten by the monster.

I think this is more than one issue. Some of it is just the spam defences being overly fierce. The only fix for that is for us to in manually and rescue the comments, which we do about once a week.

Can't you make it so instead of having comments directly on the site it just creates a thread on the forums everytime a new article is posted ? Would be much better imo

Obscure Node
    It seems my common sense is terribly good. Now I understand that I have more replies indentified as spam than not. It would be nice to have feedback if our posts were filtered out. I was wondering if it was an international barrier, if I was banned, if refreshing 11 times would do the trick or finally if posting 4 times with a different word would do it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    I think this is more than one issue. Some of it is just the spam defences being overly fierce. The only fix for that is for us to in manually and rescue the comments, which we do about once a week.
    That's not good enough! This is unacceptable. I pay my taxes, you know.