[VS] Quanta's Mind On What It Means To Be A Balloon.

everything I always say is my opinion.

now thats out of the way, here is my reply to the HR thread and recent social and hierarchichal developments.

also note, this is a forum ot excellence. I dont think we will resort to calling names, but I dont expect nor want everyone to have the same opinion. that would be boring and rps is large enough for everyone.

if you are a balloon leader, youre supposed to handle anyone that crosses your personal line. so sure, everyone could keep that in mind, but you, mr balloon leader, are in charge. we trust you, even if someone suggests or does something stupid or not. I personally dont mind someone telling me to shut it, and when I say it to someone they shoupdnt either. I rarely have bad days playing the game, because if I do, I stop playing.

now thats what I want people, especially leaders to do. its a not inconsiderably large responsibility. you cant expect every new player to know all your little rules.

personally, Im not a big fan of "OMG U HAEV TO RESPECT UR (insert group of people here), JUST BECAUS".

I know there is a reason for it, second guessing someone in the middle of a game is very annoying. but as I said; you can handle it. thats why youre a balloon leader. tell that guy or gal to shush for a bit. its fine. people arent that fragile. if they are, they should remember theyre playing games with other people that are thousands of miles away.

and speak as a sexy nazi sturmtruppenführer.

so please, tell me what the big problem is here, except for setting the bar of entry for balloon leads too high?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Well this thread sums up why I'm not really leader material. In my head all I heard was "I'M A BALLOON!" and the idea excited me so much I forgot everything you said.

I'm not sure what you want me to say here Quanta (from other thread), but i agree with you on most points.

I do think the HR thing is good, since whilst yes Balloon Leaders should be able to deal with things themselves, it is good to talk about the decision with someone else who has a level head (especially if you're me and get carried away with the moment). Sure we could chat about amongst Balloon leaders but there are a few of us and from my experiences running WoW guilds this can easily turn into a bitchfest which I, and I'm sure everyone, wants to avoid.

For me Balloon Leaders are the helm of the outfit. We've shown an ability to lead and the community is happy with the way we do so. We are to steer the Outfit in the direction that is best for as many members as possible, but as we grow, and we will, we will find (as I'm sure already have) we cannot please everyone.

With less veteran members about though, we do need people to step up to lead squads and platoons. I've been vocal about this before since there is nothing worse than wanting to take a break from leading and shoot some lasers, asking the question and only having crickets and tumbleweed reply.

Aside form the above, BL is not a difficult thing to do. You just need to be happy to make decisions. Good or Bad. Just stick with them. In fact "Bad" is the wrong term. There is no such thing as a bad decision here (except letting Grible drive... well... anything). Just opportunities to learn. The more "opportunities" you encounter at the beginning will make you a better leader int he long run since you will learn more from them than you're "good" decisions.

And if in doubt ask questions! I cannot stress this enough. Some leaders find second guessing annoying. But it is inevitable. Learn to take it on board, so long as it is constructive. If someone pipes up "I don't think that's a good idea" Tell them to take a hike.

If they say "Hmm i dunno, I think going to such and such a place to reinforce this defence/assault" is fine and very constructive. you take a minute to look at what they've said and see if it looks better than your original plan. if it does go with it, if not, go back to the original plan. But don't ever be afraid of saying this is what we're doing. At the end of the day you've stepped to take charge and people will respect you for that. I know I do and will.

So step up and try leading. You don't need much experience in the game; someone had to start leading us on day 1 with no experience. You're not going to be made a BL straight away. Throw yourself in at the deep end and challenge yourself. It will make a you a much better player in game and is even transferable to real life. no one will mock you, and if they do tell a Balloon leader or one of the HR dudes. We're here to help and support each other.

There are people in the outfit whom I think would make wonderful leaders, but don't have the confidence to step up. To name one person, which is probably unfair of me, but hey, I'm mean (evil grin) is Sinomatic. You've demonstrated an amazing ability to lead and instruct people at the last call to arms. I would genuinely love to be in a squad or platoon led by yourself. Don;t feel pressurised because of my opinion, but really, give it a go. You might like it.

And that goes for everyone else as well. After all who doesn't like bossing people about a bit? :P

I wanted you to reply because you have clear expections of the person in charge.

also, I still get tumbleweed and crickets when I ask who wants to take over PL. that hasnt changed at all, no matter the expectations.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Yeah, hecne my please for people to not be afraid

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I for one wellcome our new Vanu^[Insert here appropiate faction] overlords

My observation is that people like to win, and also like to win having fun winning. But I have added this line just in a effort to look on-topic. Because I don't have any idea what the thread is about.
    Last edited by Tei; 28-05-2013 at 07:13 PM.

yeah but my point is that balloons arent and shouldnt be appointed willy nilly because you didnt fuck up being a PL. I also disapprove of elitism, so Im not sure what Im promoting here. just that if you have the title, it shouldnt matter if other people are being fucktards. you can do it and this is your show.

this is probably not just an issue with ps2, but communications in general.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Life in general mate. I know what you mean and I did mention that people wouldn't be promoted for doing well the once. I'm referring to those who have repeatedly shown themselves to be exemplary members, as given in my example

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Leading is one of those things that people sometime just aren't willing to step up and do, for whatever reason; I end up taking PL or SL a lot when I'm on but I always want/am happy to have other people step up. I would also agree that BLs need to be able to stamp their authority on things at times - "we are going here and we are going to do this" and brook no argument about it.

But I also try and remember PS2 is a game that people play for fun, and that should be the ultimate goal of anyone playing or leading or whatever; to do the greatest good for the greatest number of people. To be awesome to each other. And to not be a dick.