PC upgrade (again)

http://imageshack.us/f/829/unledaffd2r13rwqfqfawf.png/

Thats what I'm looking at, I have a maximum of 650

The OS, the graphics card(s) and HDD are already all sorted and brought. I just really need a heads up on the cooler stuff (should I go air cooled or water cooled?)

the rig would be predominantly used for gaming (fall out NV, Bf3, CSS, Fear etc) and college work.

Other than than cooler stuff. What would you guys change?
    (future proofing is a must, When USB 3.0 goes mainstream I don't want to have upgrade anything)

cheers in advance.

Slick
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You're wasting money with the i7-2600k, really. The i5-2500k will do all the same with barely any difference. Air cooling is a lot more straightfoward, you'll need to do some research if you want quiet though. You can spend the substantial savings on a more feature-complete motherboard (something with the Z68 chipset), or some quality peripherals (you may already have these. If not, good mouse, keyboard and headphones/speakers make gaming a better a lot more than a few more FPS) or a nice meal out somewhere.

Edit: wow, just realised how mucht hat motherboard cost. That's crazy, especially for a P67 based board. With the money saved by going to a more sensible CPU and mobo, you could probably get a really nice monitor.
    Last edited by CMaster; 23-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Yeah, at that price you could get a z68 (don't bother with a z68 for gaming). For USB3, just about all Sandy Bridge boards should have at least some ports. Whether or not you get front panel ones depends on the case rather than the board (unless you get the P8P67 variant floppy/card reader sized expansion to stick in one of the drive bays). A P8P67 Pro or Gigabyte UD4 should be in the more reasonable 120-140 range with plenty of features.

There ARE advantages to the 2600K - it has faster onboard graphics (irrelevant in this case) and it has hyperthreading for eight virtual cores (games still struggle to use two to four) and it's ever so slightly faster at stock clocks. It's not really worth it if you're worried about price:performance.

For cooling it depends on how much you want to overclock. With a decent air cooler you can reach 4-4.5 GHz. Some people have managed 5.0. The stock intel cooler is good to 3.8 GHz or so. The Akasa Venom is a pretty good starting point. I have a Thermaltake Frio but had to swap the fans out because they were manually controlled and loud as hell - the ones on the Venom are PWM (controlled by motherboard) and much quieter. The Titan Fenrir also benchmarks well.

If you get a cooler with multiple fans, you'll also want one of these: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CB-031-AK

Got an SSD?
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

As Cmaster says unless you're doing something extra core hungry like rendering there's no advantage to getting the i7 over the i5. That motherboard is crazy expensive. I'm note sure Z68 is worth it if you aren't planning on getting an SSD. If sticking with P67 I recommend the MSI P67A-GD53. It's about 80 less than the one you're looking at, pretty feature complete (Xfire, SLI, USB 3.0 etc) and a good overclocker. Review here.

Do you need a PSU as you haven't mentioned having one? If so what graphics card do you have as that will do a lot to determine how beefy it needs to be.

As for cooling Scythe Gentle Typhoons are highly regarded as case fans. They'll be 10-15 depending on what size your chosen case takes. Water cooling is expensive, complicated and unnecessary unless you plan on overclocking like crazy as modern chips run pretty cool. As your budget is fairly generous the Be Quiet! Dark Rock series of CPU coolers are well thought of and around 40 to 50. Reviews here and here. However unless you're planning some serious overclocking you can probably go with something a lot cheaper.

Given you'd be spending around 110 on a mobo, 160 on a CPU, 110 on a case, 70ish on RAM and probably no more than 160 on cooling an a PSU you'd be comfortably within budget. If you don't need a PSU and are happy with your monitor maybe you could think about an SSD. If not as CMaster mentions any peripheral that aren't great may be worth an investment such as mice, speakers etc. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers guys for the help. I already have decent gear (g15 keyboard, roccat Kave head set, roccat kone mouse and a steel series mouse mat)
    I was looking originally at a Asus P8P67 deluxe But one of my friends said go for the one that you saw in the image above. the PSU I currently have is a OCZ 600 W which I've had for about a month so is almost like new.
    I also probably didn't mention this but for college work I'm going to be doing some Photoshop stuff which is one of the reasons I chose the 2600k. But then again you do say that the 2500k hasn't really got much of a difference in specs.

And my monitor isn't really a monitor its actually a tv So I guess I really should address that issue.

so if you guys could give me a good combo with the i5 and a mobo with a cpu cooler as well as point me in the direction of a good quality monitor I'd be much obliged. I am one of those people that keep looking at the price tag and thinking is it worth paying x amount for this when you could get this for x+5.

Ah okay that makes more sense. The i7 will give you a small boost in Photoshop but the difference is tiny and some places have found an OC i5 bests an OC i7. I'd have thought an SSD would be a much better investment in terms of speed overall. Similar thing with the Fatal1ty board. It is no doubt a very good board but the cheaper stuff will come very close to performing the same and I think the money would be best spent elsewhere.

If you're doing photo/graphics stuff then you want an IPS as they have much better colour accuracy. The two obvious choices are the LG IPS231 for around 150 and the Dell U2311H which can be found for around the 200 mark. There are reports floating around that the LG suffers from ghosting in gaming. I own one and have never had a problem, nor have the many people I spoke to before getting it. It seems one reviewer may have got a defective unit and it isn't widely reviewed. As such the main difference between the two is the backlight. The CCFL in the Dell will be better for colour accuracy than the LEDs in LG, plus to my mind the Dell looks nicer, has a better stand plus a display port. Personally it wasn't worth the extra for me but for someone working in photoshop it very well may be. Kelron was recently looking at this and bought the Dell.

Based on all that how about this selection with prices taken off SCAN

Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2 Heatpipe PWM, Silent Fan S775/1366/1156/1155 & AMD 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3 23.98

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-27, 1.65V 54.96

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85, Black, Gaming Mid Tower Case, Side Window + FREE Antec Lanboard LN 36138 109.13

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, S1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.3GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 6MB Cache, 95W OEM 159.78

MSI P67A-GD53 (B3), Intel P67, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 2133, SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX, SLI/ XFire 104.99

That lot comes to around 455 leaving you with just under 200 to spend on a monitor. I've included the Tranquillo as it is meant to be a good cooler at decent price and I wanted to leave you enough for the Dell but you can always look at spending more based on what has been recommended on here. Same with the mobo if you want more USB 3.0 ports or Firewire. I haven't included any case fans as the Antec comes with a load that are meant to be good at cooling and quiet enough on the slower speed. If the monitor is to come out of a separate budget then chuck an SSD in there.
    Last edited by ComradePenguin; 23-07-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Comrade thanks Very much about getting that rig all sorted and I'm going to do it to the letter, now though I'm looking into monitors and was told by one of my graphics friends that LED is the way to go.. So does anybody have any ideas for LED or shall I still look at that dell one or should I look at some others?

LEDs are in fashion for TVs and are great for media as they appear brighter and the colours more vibrant. However they aren't pure white (generally a slightly blue tint I think) so they don't produce as accurate colours. Hence for graphics/photo work a CCFL and therefore the Dell is probably better. For games, films etc you may prefer LED. The LG I mentioned in the previous post is the same panel as the Dell but with LED back lighting (and no calibration out of the box which is a bit of a pain) so that is a possible alternative. Here is the conclusion of an article on the strengths and weaknesses of two from Tom's Hardware. I guess it depends which you prioritise as to which you pick and that'll depend on what you're doing in and how much you use photoshop.
    Last edited by ComradePenguin; 24-07-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Cheers penguin and well I'm just really looking for that WOW factor because my screen colours even though its HD they colours just seem a bit. Well. Dull.
    And for the graphical stuff It doesn't really matter too the stuff I'm going to be doing is no where near professional so it really doesn't matter if there is a slight blue tint