Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node

From Dust UbiDRM???

Just read the preorder page for From Dust on gamersgate, it's got a great price but soon enough my eyes were drawn to this:

HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS THIS VIDEO GAME AND ONLINE FEATURES AND TO PLAY ONLINE. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONE OR MORE SPECIFIC ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.fromdustgame.com/ .

This reads the same as Assassins Creed 2. So could this be the return of Ubisoft's incredibly misguided attempt at drm?

Well I guess I'm going to have to hold my wallet to find out what is going on. Such a pity as I wanted to support this game as not many god games are made anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ubisoft's standard DRM scheme these days has you log in to a Ubisoft server when you launch the game. They use their service to sync save games and track achievements. You do need to be online to launch the game, but once in the game if your connection goes down you can keep playing. All Ubisoft games these days have it. It's not great, but it's not the super-terrible system Ubi started out with.

Yeah, the wording used to be 'Permanent high speed internet access', which was what the DRMpocalypse was about when they first announced it.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Don't they understand that they just dicourage people to buy their games with such an DRM. I'm sure more people would buy their products if they were DRM free.

I think this refers to the activation at start of play DRM, rather than the more frustrating "always-on" which Ubi claim to have dropped.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Uch, this is the lesser of two evils, where the lesser evil is still pretty grim. I was rather interested in the game, but I'm not a big fan of having to be online at the start of every session.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

No, you dont need to be online at the start of every session. You only need to be online once to activate. AC:Brotherhood had the same system.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Yeah, the wording used to be 'Permanent high speed internet access', which was what the DRMpocalypse was about when they first announced it.
    its 'DRMageddon'.

Banned
    This game was: Day one purchase.
    This game now is: Day one piracy.

Good job, Ubisoft.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    No, you dont need to be online at the start of every session. You only need to be online once to activate. AC:Brotherhood had the same system.
    Do you have any source on this? While I'm hoping you are correct* (and indeed suspect you are) its something I'd like to see confirmed.

* About From Dust I mean, I know you are correct about AC:Brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Do you have any source on this? While I'm hoping you are correct* (and indeed suspect you are) its something I'd like to see confirmed.

* About From Dust I mean, I know you are correct about AC:Brotherhood.
    Do you honestly think they're going to tighten up the DRM again? This is now the standard "UBI DRM". I doubt theyll put even more money into that fiasco they had a year ago.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well they haven't disabled it on a number of games still, and last time they were asked if this was the end of UbiDRM they refused to say yes and instead said they were considering it on a case by case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well they haven't disabled it on a number of games still, and last time they were asked if this was the end of UbiDRM they refused to say yes and instead said they were considering it on a case by case basis.
    Not disabling it is not the same as building it into a new title.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    This game was: Day one purchase.
    This game now is: Day one piracy.

Good job, Ubisoft.
    *sigh*

This was a day one purchase.
    Now it's a day 200 sale purchase.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    *sigh*

This was a day one purchase.
    Now it's a day 200 sale purchase.
    ..for what reason exactly? You knew it was UbiSoft, so it was bound to have DRM. If it's DRM similar to steams, what's your problem exactly?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Well done Dust, you were a £5 purchase, you are still a £5 purchase but now all the comments threads about the game will have 25% DRM bitching.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    ..for what reason exactly? You knew it was UbiSoft, so it was bound to have DRM. If it's DRM similar to steams, what's your problem exactly?
    I like Ubisoft's DRM for RUSE. I don't support Ubisoft's other DRM madness.

I'll grudgingly use Steam because it offers some fancy other features, such as a pretty good community overlay.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    Whom would you rather trust, Valve or Ubisoft? I wouldn't trust Ubisoft with anything, certainly not my license to a game. If in a year they decide to finally scrap the pathetic system then I wouldn't trust that they would actually patch any of their previous games so we could actually install it, they don't exactly have a good track record for supporting games older than 6 months.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not disabling it is not the same as building it into a new title.
    No they're considering it on a case-by-case basis for new games too as far as I can tell. Even after they started patching it out, they stated that it might still be used in new titles: http://www.shacknews.com/article/670...onger-requires

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    i played me2 on steam without net connection. steam offline is not perfect but works most times than not (especially if you are prepared for it)

so it is not the same as steam Mr. QuantaCat