Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Obscure Node
    You could cheat and have the buttons not load until someone mouses near them, that'd solve the page load time issue.

Network Hub
    Do you have any stats on the number of people that share from the Article page compared to the Home page (or other archives).

If the majority are using share buttons from the article itself, I would highly recommend having the share buttons appear only on the article and not in on the homepage or in the archives where they'll appear ten times per page.

Better yet, this is exactly what A/B testing is for. Do a split test for a few weeks and see what happens.

Personally, I'd be pretty surprised if you lost a statistically significant number of shares/traffic by removing share links from the home page, and I'd suspect you'd see a measurable change in your bounce rate.

Obscure Node
    I was just thinking about this, as I changed browsers and had to reapply the blocks.
    They should have an unloaded script element, a collapsed div, that only loads the content when the div is expanded.
    Streamed content is fairly trivial to do these days, and sacrificing the stability and usability of the website for something so stupid and trivial is stupid.
    other sites I go to, do not freeze for 5-10 seconds, so they are doing something wrong.

Also, the collapsed div can be covered by a reddit button, with a very simple script. Something loaded once at the top of the page that executes the reddit upvote functionality, but only after the div has expanded and the jquery script has loaded. You will very likely have to modify the script itself to make it work that way... but its gotta be better than loading 11 different copies of the same script :p

and another problem.
    I was unable to comment by default. Had to turn off the nifty fancy commenting doohicky in preferences and turn it to basic. It wouldn't load properly in chrome (perhaps due to blocking certain scripts to mitigate the load times on the front page?)
    Last edited by Nesetalis; 24-12-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: more thought

Obscure Node
    Found a better solution... an adblock list containing all the damn social buttons spamming the web..
    https://monzta.maltekraus.de/adblock_social.txt
    you can add it to your adblock or put them in yourself. Either way, works wonders EVERY page surfs a thousand times faster now :P