Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I was wondering whether it was just me suffering from load times on the main page. Definitely needs resolving. Spoils what is otherwise a flawless and well designed (not to mention well informed and well educated) website.

The suggested Ad filters sorted this out for a while, but now they've started getting through.
    Fair enough these generate traffic, but for those of us who come here all the time, LET US TURN THIS SHIT OFF!

Obscure Node
    I've never delved into the forums before but I've been visiting RPS for ages. Recently I've been experiencing this same issue and I get that it does help with traffic but in my case it's reducing it, the site has become so slow and unresponsive while it's loading scripts that I've been visiting less and less :(

Yup, the issue has reared its ugly head yet again. Creating custom filters doesn't help since they only seem to block the display of facebook/reddit buttons, not the scripts themselves. I'm livid.

Reddit appears to be the main culprit...
    Last edited by Insolentius; 11-10-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: bloody typo

Hmm. Will look at it in detail. Odd because the most recent change has improved it for me enormously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've brought this up in the past - the current situation with the page loading times is a complete joke (it's taking between 2 and 3 seconds to load for me, and the page cannot be scrolled until it's done).

So I'm afraid you're being Adblocked and Script disabled - for the benefit of others, this is how to make the site readable again

In Adblock, the filter you want is

rockpapershotgun.com##DIV[class="dd_buttons"]

That blocks all the social media shit from appearing.

Sadly, the battalion of scripts they've spaghetti'd into the page layout will still run and so the only solution to that is to disable Javascript. In Chrome, you can do this in Under the Bonnet, Content Settings, Javascript, Manage Exceptions and add rockpapershotgun.com to the 'BLOCK' type

If you use a browser other than Chrome, the solution is to uninstall the wheezy old shite and install Chrome :)

Obscure Node
    Hi, registered to chime in here as a long time RPS reader and occasional comment whinger. I'm also a web developer and am cringing every time I hit RPS's frontpage because of its awful performance. It could benefit from some fixes in wordpress.

1) Replace Digg Digg.
    Digg Digg currently blocks scrolling in chrome in Windows & OSX until the lazyloading of the buttons is complete. This is extremely irritating. Potentially better alternatives exist.
    For example check out:
    Share This: http://help.sharethis.com/integration/wordpress
    Sociable: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sociable/
    or skip using a plugin and use the embed directly http://www.w3-edge.com/weblog/2011/0...n-performance/

2) Do something about your horrible Yslow performance (firefox + yslow extension, check your page).
    Apaprently, the go to plugin for vastly improving wordpress performance these days is WP-Total-Cache, a guide to installing and configuring is here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/ho...for-beginners/

Although I can't guarantee that sharethis or sociable will outperform digg digg without trying myself, fixing your Yslow performance will definitely improve page load times. Fixing both your yslow and the digg digg problem will make for a frontpage that will be far faster to load, which will make your readers happier, first time visitors more likely to become regulars, and even improve your google ranking.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by druski View Post
    2) Do something about your horrible Yslow performance (firefox + yslow extension, check your page).
    Apaprently, the go to plugin for vastly improving wordpress performance these days is WP-Total-Cache, a guide to installing and configuring is here: http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/ho...for-beginners/
    The site is currently using WP-Super-Cache, which is what I'd heard of as being equally good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The alternative solution, of course, is to stop pushing social media nonsense at your readers.

If they want to share stuff on Facebook or Reddit or whatever, it's likely they'll have an easy means to do so - hell if you can't cut and paste a link, I'm not sure we should let you on the Web in the first place.

It's time sites stopped foisting this shit on their readers - it's crippling page load times and allowing sites like Facebook etc. to get a tonne of tracking info about their customers in the bargain!!

Worst for RPS is that more and more people will block the Ads - it's completely counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by druski View Post
    Hi, registered to chime in here as a long time RPS reader and occasional comment whinger. I'm also a web developer and am cringing every time I hit RPS's frontpage because of its awful performance. It could benefit from some fixes in wordpress.

Although I can't guarantee that sharethis or sociable will outperform digg digg without trying myself, fixing your Yslow performance will definitely improve page load times. Fixing both your yslow and the digg digg problem will make for a frontpage that will be far faster to load, which will make your readers happier, first time visitors more likely to become regulars, and even improve your google ranking.
    This site uses some incredibly advanced caching software, on top of wp-SuperCache. The load is at the browser processing tonns of javascript, not the servers.

They grew out of plain supercache years ago ;)

Network Hub
    Thanks for the blocking Javascript tip, it fixed things like magic! The load times and total blockage of any RPS tabs I open when I reload were driving me away from the site. I couldn't scroll any of the tabs nor stop the loading proccess using Chrome + Win7 x64.

To me, it's nice to have easy to access social buttons, but I'd MUCH rather have a fast, responsive site and share just by copying&pasting the article links. Of course, other people might have other priorities, but I feel that having a page that doesn't load and blocks other related tabs defeats the purpose of any social interactivity plugins.

I appretiate the complexity of managing the site (both technically and economically), but those scripts are really dragging down the user experience as they are now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd just like to re-iterate that the embedded scripts are nasty and insidious and purely designed to get around adblocking software - I'd really like to know why RPS feel they have this right to ram social media links down our throat...

I'm fine with ads but I don't see this obsessive need to cram a Facebook/Reddit/Twitter/Google+ etc. link upto 30-odd times into every single page - it's demonstrates a deep lack of respect for readers and a deep lack of common sense in terms of content overkill and the likelihood people will simply block everything but the words...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'd just like to re-iterate that the embedded scripts are nasty and insidious and purely designed to get around adblocking software - I'd really like to know why RPS feel they have this right to ram social media links down our throat...

I'm fine with ads but I don't see this obsessive need to cram a Facebook/Reddit/Twitter/Google+ etc. link upto 30-odd times into every single page - it's demonstrates a deep lack of respect for readers and a deep lack of common sense in terms of content overkill and the likelihood people will simply block everything but the words...
    It also directs a large quantity of traffic at RPS, which means advertisers pay decent money, the adverts pay for the site hosting, and pay for the site's writers to eat, and be able to write for RPS full time. You like having lots of new posts yes? Then there are necessary evils. If you don't like it, block the adverts, block the javascript, and subscribe. You wouldn't be the first, and I doubt the last.

Long time subscriber here. Just posting to say that the slowness of loading (in Chrome) was causing me to resent my favourite site. As others have noted, I had to wait 3/4 seconds before scrolling. I've now blocked Java for the page as directed above (thank you!). I doubt if many will be bothered to do this and will just go elsewhere. I'm not sure how much traffic the social media links bring in but I'd strongly advise getting rid of them and just relying on the quality of writing.

We are working on this currently.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Because it's their site?

From China about 10 secs

Obscure Node
    RPS is the most resource-hungry site I visit on a regular basis:

That ~150mb is because it's loading and excuting two large javascript libraries ten times per page each. The reddit button is loading jQuery:

And the Facebook button is loading some nebulous Facebook interface:

For whatever reason (most likely ease of getting ten different Facebook buttons to load on the same page without crashing), whoever developed this stuck each button in it's own iFrame, so each button is loaded as a page-within-a-page. Each of those pages is loading as much heavy-duty javascript as a full page would, with the end result that loading Rock Paper Shotgun is a little like trying to load twenty pages at once.

They do seem to be working on that problem. The testing they did yesterday shunted the twitter button to be local. I'd expect these other buttons to eventually follow suit.

But yes, very silly.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

I am honestly not sure what to do about the Reddit button. It's become by far one of our highest sources of traffic, I am extremely reticent to mess with that (or to remove the immediate "vote" functionality of the button itself), especially since Reddit traffic has been vital to the site's growth in the past year.

That might sound mercenary, but since we have now largely quit other jobs to concentrate on RPS as a commercial site, anything that generates new and additional traffic is precious.

Open to suggestions.