Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blasting through One Piece..

Sometimes, I like to devote as much time as possible to finishing a series. Angel, I watched it in a couple of weeks. All of them. Though I have to admit, I started skipping through some bits in season 4 episodes. (but basically, it was 5 * 22 episodes (45min) in 20 days or so. Or was it eleven days? anyway, an extremely short period in time.)

So I started watching One Piece. Im down to episode 153 out of 500 and ongoing. I started on monday or sunday. (20 minute episodes, mind you)

Anyone else do crazy stuff like that?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Down to 157..
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Yay for One Piece. Watched the anime twice... second time tough I skipped boring fillers and few other less interesting stuff.

I managed to watch sg1 and sga in 4 months or so. not sure whether you can consider it blasted through but they were 50 min episodes. 15 seasons.

I spent about a week watching all seasons of the x files last year. madness really, I only got off the couch to eat or use the bathroom, I was a wreck by the end of it all.

I remember I watched the first fullmetal alchemist anime in about two or three weeks, and have watched a couple of full series on crunchyroll recently. I also spent an entire weekend watching the extended editions of lord of the rings once, but nothing as extreme as the x-files marathon.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    The wife and I did the first 250 episodes or so of One Piece in that fashion, once she opened up to it. That was a big jump for her, never having watched anime, though she lost her taste around episode 490. We did the same with the first few seasons of 24, and she regularly mainlines shows in that fashion faster than I can find them for her. I watch things at a slower pace because it's very hard for me to watch by myself. Shows we both like will be consumed quickly, but not as quickly as shows that she likes, and shows that only I like will take years. I have an easier time with computer and video games as a solo participant, since they are reactive. It's an attention thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I watched Two seasons of Dexter in one night, I think that is the most insane thing I did probably. I do like watching shows though quite quickly, if I love a show i will watch a number of episodes in a day. I've been going through The Wire and Oz like that recently.

So you basically watched in a day? Because thats 24 episodes..

Anyway, One Piece is still ongoing. (and I watch it in Japanese, with subs. The voice of Zoro is the same as the one of Mugen of Samurai Champloo, my second favourite anime so far)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    So you basically watched in a day? Because thats 24 episodes..

Anyway, One Piece is still ongoing. (and I watch it in Japanese, with subs. The voice of Zoro is the same as the one of Mugen of Samurai Champloo, my second favourite anime so far)
    mugen's voice is the same as zoro as zoro was first (i saw OP before seeing SC)

it felt so weird.

Activated Node
    Watched the entire Friends series a little over 2 weeks once, then again I only had it going as background noise I could occassionally laugh at while playing on the pc.

Speaking of anime, you guys just reminded me of a series I've been meaning to watch because it looks interesting, Cowboy Bebop, have to see if I can scrounge that up from the collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    mugen's voice is the same as zoro as zoro was first (i saw OP before seeing SC)

it felt so weird.
    Dont be anal. But yes, Its part of the reason why I love One Piece. It has the same composer as Aa Megami-Sama! (oh my goddess) and the same voice as mugen of Samurai Champloo. much ohve can be found.

Speaking of anime, you guys just reminded me of a series I've been meaning to watch because it looks interesting, Cowboy Bebop, have to see if I can scrounge that up from the collection!
    Cowboy Bebop is good, but I liked Samurai Champloo more. For now, my all time favourite Anime list goes like this:

FLCL>Samurai Champloo>Cowboy Bebop>Ergo Proxy>Witch Hunter Robin>Ghost In The Shell (the movie)

By no means does this mean that GITS is bad, its just fifth on my all time favourite list. Though I have to admit, I have never seen akira, nor any other bits of GITS. Havent figured out where to put One Piece into all of this. (or Oh My Goddess, for that matter)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 25-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Akira beats gits by a mile.
    Thats is all.

If you didn't see Lain I do recommend watching it. Pretty epic anime but slow (like very little action)

Oh I saw lain. actually, the list I put up there was just the list of my favourite animes, I have seen quite a lot more.

I hated lain, mostly because of the ending. Also, I saw Steamboy, and I didnt like it. Bits of it were really cool, but it just goes on and on and NINETHOUSAND!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Oh I saw lain. actually, the list I put up there was just the list of my favourite animes, I have seen quite a lot more.

I hated lain, mostly because of the ending. Also, I saw Steamboy, and I didnt like it. Bits of it were really cool, but it just goes on and on and NINETHOUSAND!

awww. :( you hated lain. its such a great anime.

and i agree with steamboy. awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    awww. :( you hated lain. its such a great anime.

and i agree with steamboy. awful.
    Nothing will ever come close to FLCL though. All Hail FLCL!

I even went as far as to buy a Vespa 50s, one of the "remakes". (they released new ones a couple of years ago, they are pure rawk)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

I think One Piece was just starting when I was living in Japan, it grew huge so quickly, I'm not surprised it's still going although I never really got into it. I do wonder if Bleach is still going, quite got into that while trying to break a year clean with no anime. My circle of friends did our best 'Bankai' impressions in a monotone on the trains, ah, such an influence it had on us. I also have the set of Gantz DVDs in my cupboard, quite looking forward to that, I lapped up the silliness of the manga on the tube there. And I ended up really disappointed with Monster, such a strong start, and it just ended up dragging on and on. After the great Nazis and Turkish prostitute plot it went downhill for me.

Anyway, anime aside if I had to race through a series (of series) it would probably be South Park - although not hilariously funny to me it explores some excellent themes every episode. Oh, and Seinfeld. (Oh why did Kramer say what he said? What a shame to go out like that.)

I tried to watch One Piece, but was so hard to take it seriously after that intro.. I watched about 5 minutes.

I would probably get hooked if i watched more tho! I'm new to anime so maybe that is why the intro was so off-putting for me. So far i'm used to the darker style, like Claymore, Berserk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayam View Post
    I think One Piece was just starting when I was living in Japan, it grew huge so quickly, I'm not surprised it's still going although I never really got into it. I do wonder if Bleach is still going, quite got into that while trying to break a year clean with no anime. My circle of friends did our best 'Bankai' impressions in a monotone on the trains, ah, such an influence it had on us. I also have the set of Gantz DVDs in my cupboard, quite looking forward to that, I lapped up the silliness of the manga on the tube there. And I ended up really disappointed with Monster, such a strong start, and it just ended up dragging on and on. After the great Nazis and Turkish prostitute plot it went downhill for me.

Anyway, anime aside if I had to race through a series (of series) it would probably be South Park - although not hilariously funny to me it explores some excellent themes every episode. Oh, and Seinfeld. (Oh why did Kramer say what he said? What a shame to go out like that.)
    I find it extremely fun to see how much of japanese I get used to after watching a series like that, especially as a fansub, because the translation is so close to the original. Also, the theme song only got good after the Arabasta story arc, about episode 116. (for the japanese version, of course, not the silly english rap)

One of my most favourite words to be said in One Piece is "Sugoi", but in the really strange way that luffy says it :D "SUU-GAIY"
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I do wonder if Bleach is still going, quite got into that while trying to break a year clean with no anime
    It is but...well..its turned shite i have to say. i haven't watched it or read it in ages after a momental stupid storyline was finished and it solved nothing and basically wasted about 3 years of storyline. Bleach is one of the most awesome anime series if you watch it all the way up to the end of the soul society arc and that big twist. After that I really wouldn't bother.

Though i could be wrong and it could have upswinged after that stupid storyline.

Sugeee is the way most kids say sugoi anyway, it's kinda slangy, like how omoshiroi becomes omoshireee. I assume anyway, I've not had the pleasure of hearing luffy, maybe he does say it in a genuinely eccentric way!

When it comes to Japanese media I'm not really anime-minded, I absolutely adore their comedy shows. I religiously download Gaki no Tsukai and Lincoln every week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVHlWcI6vBs I guess it is in theme with the thread, I will NOT miss an episode of either show and have hoarded them on external hard drives over the years. Check out the youtube link for a taster of Gaki - it switches up its format every week but usually equally hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    It is but...well..its turned shite i have to say. i haven't watched it or read it in ages after a momental stupid storyline was finished and it solved nothing and basically wasted about 3 years of storyline. Bleach is one of the most awesome anime series if you watch it all the way up to the end of the soul society arc and that big twist. After that I really wouldn't bother.

Though i could be wrong and it could have upswinged after that stupid storyline.
    I think I dropped out of Bleach around the time some vampire-related storyline came in, it didn't have the same magic as the Soul Society side of things, that was quite an apex they achieved there.