Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Are there any decent space games where I can pilot a capital ship? I've tried getting one in X3 but ended up quitting before I could afford buying one.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanban View Post
    Are there any decent space games where I can pilot a capital ship? I've tried getting one in X3 but ended up quitting before I could afford buying one.
    The Battlecruiser games (Derek Smart) are probably some of the best games about piloting capital ships. Just be warned that the interface is crap, you have little to no feedback, and the learning curve is worse than most Paradox games :p. And never bother trying to fly a fighter or infantry (yes, you "fly" infantry. You'll understand :p). But it gets Capital Ships pretty good.

It might be worthwhile to wait for the new X-game though. I haven't gotten around to playing them since TC (I have a backlog :p), but I think Rebirth will start you in a capital ship.

Oh yeah, Independence War. Although, that never felt Capital Shippy to me.
    Last edited by gundato; 30-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

There was a game called StarShatter that had a decent playable cap ships.
    Matrix games discontinued but then it became open source and you can get it here.

Network Hub
    So sounds like Freelancer is probably the defacto most established open world space opera but it's impossible to buy anywhere. Anyone have any tips on getting a copy? And further to that any good mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    So sounds like Freelancer is probably the defacto most established open world space opera but it's impossible to buy anywhere. Anyone have any tips on getting a copy? And further to that any good mods?
    Actually, that title probably goes to the X series or Space Rangers 2. Freelancer was just a fun take on the genre.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    What about Darkstar One? I am just looking to kinda get "lost" in a space game. While I actually have the X series but I have to properly set up it's controls on my 360 controller which pisses me off no end.

What about Darkstar One? I am just looking to kinda get "lost" in a space game. While I actually have the X series but I have to properly set up it's controls on my 360 controller which pisses me off no end.
    Most freelancer fans, myself included, won't like comparing the two, but darkstar one is the closest thing there is to a successor to freelancer. Just be warned that it is severely flawed and rough around the edges.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Most freelancer fans, myself included, won't like comparing the two, but darkstar one is the closest thing there is to a successor to freelancer. Just be warned that it is severely flawed and rough around the edges.
    Care to give the ups and down? Would be interested since its going for cheap.

I tried to enjoy Darkstar One, but from what I recall most of the game was extremely repetitive and every star system was almost exactly identical.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    The Battlecruiser games (Derek Smart) are probably some of the best games about piloting capital ships. Just be warned that the interface is crap, you have little to no feedback, and the learning curve is worse than most Paradox games :p. And never bother trying to fly a fighter or infantry (yes, you "fly" infantry. You'll understand :p). But it gets Capital Ships pretty good.
    I'd say that they're way worse than that. (Dr) Derek Smart hasn't fixed any of the issues with his Battlecruiser games, the same problems have been around since BC3k (which funnily enough was the only one that I ever played). It's a shame because if it actually worked properly it'd be the ultimate space game... but it doesn't.

My biggest issue with Darkstar One is that every goddamn system is the same. Seen one, seen 'em all. I'd say that Evochron Mercenary, with the notable exception of the combat mechanics, is the Freelancer successor save for the plot. Darkstar One's gameplay itself is mechanically sound but there's just so little variety that it makes it too hard to play. Also that voice acting... oh god that voice acting...

Network Hub
    Fuck it I gave in and took a punt on Galaxy On Fire 2 HD. Ill let people know what it's like later.

Fuck it I gave in and took a punt on Galaxy On Fire 2 HD. Ill let people know what it's like later.
    Good, I've been eyeing at it for a while now. A brief review would be great!

Loving Freespace 2 so far. Just did the mission where you're flying through the nebula and find one of your own cruisers who has defected to the other side. Damn that was tense. :D The game both looks and controls great, but mostly I'm surprised by how good the writing is. Watching the conflict unfold is interesting enough on it's own, but the fact that you get most of the information not through cutscenes but through the briefings and the radio-chatter of your collegues gives it a sense of realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Loving Freespace 2 so far. Just did the mission where you're flying through the nebula and find one of your own cruisers who has defected to the other side. Damn that was tense. :D The game both looks and controls great, but mostly I'm surprised by how good the writing is. Watching the conflict unfold is interesting enough on it's own, but the fact that you get most of the information not through cutscenes but through the briefings and the radio-chatter of your collegues gives it a sense of realism.
    Yeah. Both Conflict: Freespace games do an excellent job of delivering the story. They're right there on the same pedestal with Planescape: Torment. Love 'em.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Wait until you play Blue Planet: War in Heaven (a mod for Freespace 2).

Excellence in storytelling right there.