Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I've not tried to get it working since I left xp but Free Alliegence is quite the thing, part team based space fighter with 1 (or more), players managing construction and resource harvesting. Perform cloaked stealth raids on resource gathers, team up with a corvette with an anti missile system to bomb a base, and respond do distress calls.

Glorious space craft combat.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I have a soft spot for Freelancer personally. The combat ain't the greatest, but it's got a galaxy that's really fun to explore and shockingly for a Space tradery game, it's got a pretty good story.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Oooh. I might have to give Evochron another shot then. Do we have an AI that can dogfight in atmo yet, or is entering an atmosphere still a death sentence if there is an enemy anywhere?"
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mean how the AI dogfight in an atmosphere then I'm not sure yet.
    I haven't actually done any fighting in an atmosphere post-expansion yet as I've been too busy trying out other stuff. (I might try it now that you've reminded me though)

If you mean any enemies within range coming to fight you while you're trying to enter an atmosphere, I don't see that being as much of an issue anymore as now most hostiles won't engage you unless you come within a certain range or if they have a specific reason to come after you (otherwise they usually have better things to do than side-track just to shoot you). If you're in a REALLY hostile area they might do it, maybe.
    Last edited by Professor Paul1290; 24-12-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I have a soft spot for Freelancer personally. The combat ain't the greatest, but it's got a galaxy that's really fun to explore and shockingly for a Space tradery game, it's got a pretty good story.
    I think the issue with the FL combat is that it gets repetitive, there wasn't enough variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Paul1290 View Post
    Evochron Mercenary's combat AI was changed in the recent 2.0 expansion so this isn't as much the case anymore.
    Oh, I haven't played since 2.0, but from what you're saying that doesn't really improve the combat that much. The issue I have with it is that it's basically gliding around/past your target and firing away to score a hit, which is more fiddly and occasionally frustrating than fun. If you're into that sort of combat then no doubt you enjoy it, but I find it pretty boring. Even the X games aren't that bad with combat - IMO you need a balance between space physics and gameplay, and Evochron Mercenary leans too far towards the former for my tastes.

Thanks a lot guys! I came into this thread just clicking around on random on the forum and ended up buying Freespace 2 from GOG. :D

I played the first one ages ago. My computer at the time could barely run it at a playable framerate but I remember really liking it nonetheless. Also, Googling around I found this script which should help with using a 360 gamepad to play it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    You've installed Freespace 2 Open as well?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Thanks a lot guys! I came into this thread just clicking around on random on the forum and ended up buying Freespace 2 from GOG. :D

I played the first one ages ago. My computer at the time could barely run it at a playable framerate but I remember really liking it nonetheless. Also, Googling around I found this script which should help with using a 360 gamepad to play it.
    You really need to get freespace open installed. Brings it in to the future.

Secondly, keep an eye out for STRIKE SUIT ZERO at the end of january. I may or may not be in the Beta and I can categorically say it IS the best space shooter in the past decade.

Banned
    Freelancer sounds like your best bet. Brilliant controls and gorgeous universe to explore.

Yeah I'll defenitely install Freespace 2 Open as well.

Network Hub
    Surely Eve is all you need?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    Surely Eve is all you need?
    I want to play a game involving flying in space and killing things - not run a spreadsheet with an amateur dramatics sideline and pretty nebula graphics :)

Freespace 2. Then get the best mods for it, there's a load of them on Hard-Light Productions.

I recommend playing them in this order:
    FSPort (Freespace 1 Port)
    Silent Threat: Reborn
    Freespace 2
    Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius
    Blue Planet: War in Heaven
    Vassago's Dirge
    Derelict

The first three will put you up to speed on the (mostly) canon story of Freespace. Blue Planet builds on the canon story line and is in general the best mod for Freespace, but this is subjective. Vassago's Dirge and Derelict are very very good campaigns but don't really tie into a story line, but are in-universe. There's a lot more good campaigns, but those are my top picks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Freelancer sounds like your best bet. Brilliant controls and gorgeous universe to explore.
    Sadly piracy is almost the only option with that - unless you chance on a retail copy on eBay

GoG claim to be 'making progress' on getting it but MS care not-1-shit about their back catalogue (arguably they didn't care about it when it was their front catalogue!) ;)

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Sadly piracy is almost the only option with that - unless you chance on a retail copy on eBay

GoG claim to be 'making progress' on getting it but MS care not-1-shit about their back catalogue (arguably they didn't care about it when it was their front catalogue!) ;)
    Oh I beg to differ. Not only does MS care, it's also maintaining a fantastic promotional website that strongly indicates Freelancer is IN STORES NOW.

Yeah, I plundered it without thinking twice after not finding it anywhere. A win for Star Citizen in the end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anyone give SOL:Exodus a try?

Was going through games released in 2012 and saw this was released in Jan.

Mechwarrior: Living Legends has a wide range of air units available on most maps.

Aerospace and VTOLs

It's a multiplayer game, so there is no exploration, but you can jump in and have instant fun.
    There are always ground units (tanks/large mechs) to fight.
    Last edited by bad guy; 26-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

Would there not be a copy kicking around the bargain bucket parts of normal retail shops? Assuming they even have those these days. Sad to hear there isn't somewhere you can buy a digital copy online though, figners crossed GoG sorts that out and brings Freelancer goodness to us all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Anyone give SOL:Exodus a try?
    I forgot I even owned that (came in a bundle at some point) so I gave it a whirl and within 10 mins I had serious motion-sickness :(

Updated to add: 2 motion sickness tablets later and I completed the first 2 levels. It's not bad but it's not brilliant either. Combat is quite basic and the levels have simple objectives (basically 'survive') with bonus objectives (Kill X badguys or Save X ships). Looks pretty, sounds OK but it's seems very linear.

It's a bit amateur in places too - the tutorial is level 1 so you have to repeat it if you die which is patronising - checkpoints will save you with almost no health so you die over and over but it's a competent space shooter.

I'd really like something meatier tho - some exploration and choices to make would be nice - the ability to get better ships (not just upgrades) and so on.

I don't really want to get into a game with a massive modding scene tho - I want a nicely designed experience, not an endless sandbox for tinkering with :)
    Last edited by trjp; 27-12-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Network Hub
    Is Evochron Mercenary worth a punt?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Is Evochron Mercenary worth a punt?
    Sure, if it's cheap. Just be prepared to deal with the combat, you'll need to read up on the forums because the game's tutorial is like having someone speaking a wall of (often irrelevant) text at you.