Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OLD rts game

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Cultures is quite a unique game, actually. Diggles really is the closest when it comes to controlling individual units.

Similar games that come to mind: Alien Nations, The Settlers series, Majesty, maybe the Anno series if you're more into city building than watching people run around. Populous: The Beginning as well.

Banned
    Yeah, you don't really see that Cultures type of skill/training system in other games, except in Virtual Villagers and its clones.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Beasts & Bumpkins?

CARE FOR A BIT OF.. NOOKIE?! OOH AH!
    Fun fact! Beast and Bumpkins was made by my cousins. Mini-me in fact played an early build of it, which was actually a skirmish type game (I don't recall whether there was a regular single player at the time too, although I think it didn't.) You could actually create the Beasts and cast magic against your opponent. Always disappointed that didn't make the final game.

The guy on the front of the box art actually looked very like one of my cousins too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I thought about Knights and Merchants when I read original post.

Even though it turned out I was wrong, I still recommend it to anyone.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I thought about Knights and Merchants when I read original post.

Even though it turned out I was wrong, I still recommend it to anyone.
    yhe i really like NeM but it isnt for W7 :(
    i actually have the game becouse i bought it whe bought it when i whas joung :D but it doesnt work anymore -.-

I remember the first Cultures and how I hated it with a passion. I was way too impatient for it. Everything just took ages. The art was very nice though. And it does teach you quite a bit about procreation... ;)

Off topic...but it's threads like this one that remind my why I love the RPS forums and members.
    Warms the heart...

Bless your collective cottons. ^_^

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Cultures 2 (only one I've played) was aperhaps best described as a sort of Settlers meets Sims affair. It was very relaxing and involved, like the Settlers, but I personally found it too slow and repetitive. I may have just been playing it wrong, mind.

Yoiu'll probably be wanting to look at mostly German developers - they tend to favour that sort of complex-economy-based game

I can't really think of any very similar games, except maybe the Settlers (which doesn't have the RPG-y stuff with named villagers with skills etc.), Tropico (less involved, and no exploring), or perhaps The Guild (which doesn't have the building stuff and you only control one family). There are a few games that share one or two elements, but as for having all of them, I'm stumped.

Also, I know Im being pedantic, but I haven't encountered such horrible typing skills since a long LONG time. I tell myself I used to type better back then. (though I ignored all large "i"s, with a fervor)
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Also, I know Im being pedantic, but I haven't encountered such horrible typing skills since a long LONG time. I tell myself I used to type better back then. (though I ignored all large "i"s, with a fervor)
    It's like your Mum/Mom said: Computer games will rot your brain.