Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 'I hate' thread

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar

'I hate' thread

Hate with a passion a game/developer/Publisher/Bobby Kotick or an underlying trend in the world of gaming at large (such as microtransactions or pre-order bonuses)?

Why not pour all your raw hate into this one thread so we can use it to generate enough negative energy to replace fossil fuels (or blot out the sun if you are so inclined), and keep the rest of the forums raw hate free?
    Last edited by Kadayi; 11-06-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarification of thread intent
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Network Hub
    Dead Space. Eff that game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Negativity. Grrr. Does my head in.

I hate Activision,DLC,Mass Effect and DRM

fuck working on saturdays.. fuck waking up w/ a hangover 8am on ze saturday having to go to work

Hate threads.

Two trends in FPS games that I can't stand :

1. Two weapon limits - Why the hell would a developer want to limit the tactical options available to a player? It just makes no sense as a gameplay mechanic.
    2. The combination of cover systems and regenerating health. It removes all flow from a game and removes all incentive not to be hit. Losing half your health during a fight means nothing if health is an infinite resource. All you need to do is wait for two minutes doing nothing which is just enforced boredom.

This is actually a great idea. Everyone, please be a dick here and nowhere else.

Edit: Actually, can we just sticky this and have it work its magic all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by tomeoftom View Post
    This is actually a great idea. Everyone, please be a dick here and nowhere else.

Edit: Actually, can we just sticky this and have it work its magic all the time?
    Erm, what is wrong with constructive criticism and discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    2. The combination of cover systems and regenerating health. It removes all flow from a game and removes all incentive not to be hit. Losing half your health during a fight means nothing if health is an infinite resource. All you need to do is wait for two minutes doing nothing which is just enforced boredom.
    I second this, especially in third-person shooters, since I'd quite like my firefirghts to consist of more than sitting behind a convenient waist-high obstacle for five minutes, occasionally shooting someone. Cover-based systems also have a nasty habit of hijacking art direction and level design to accomodate appropriate cover (Like the randomly-placed alien cocoons in Mass Effect, or everyhting being blow up or ruined in just about every third-person shooter ever).

And if you really did sit behind a rock after you've just been shot, you wouldn't heal, you'd just bleed to death.

Network Hub
    Games for Windows Live.
    The increasing trend towards linearity and enforced pacing in FPS games. (Of which Homefront and Medal of HonoUr are the most egregious, and DNF being the latest example)
    System Shock and Syndicate still not being on GoG.
    MechWarrior 4.
    Sony.
    Bobby Kotick.
    Bobby Kotick's hair.
    Bobby Kotick's perpetual smugness.
    HM Revenue and Customs.
    The way that game creators very carefully dole out fun in small doses as a reward for getting through the tedious grind portions of the game. The idea that the whole game should be fun seems to have escaped a lot of AAA developers, and fled to smaller indie studios.
    The fact that EA commissioned more Battlefield nonsense from DICE instead of Mirror's Edge 2.
    Staggered international release dates for digital releases. If a game is out, it should be OUT.
    Politicians.
    The EU.
    Self-righteous meddling people. (see 'Politicians' and 'The EU')

Scooter kids.

Network Hub
    I hate World of Warcraft and all MMORPGs in a similar vein. The reason for this being that is is the wrong way for development to go in what is potentially the greatest game genre. Ultima Online had it right but they followed the everquest (safe) route and it is like taking a step backwards, how we are stuck in Limbo due to the popularity of WoW as everyone is just making a copy.

I hate DRM and the way all the major games companies seem to want to punish legit pc gamers by adding it on. I also hate Lionhead who had/has one of the most technically brilliant teams on the planet yet they sold their souls to Microsoft to make console crap, I liked the way Black and White was going they only make fable now, PANTS!

Finally I hate things like the "PC Gaming alliance" and all these other nonsence ideas which don't seem to do bugger all apart from get peoples attention to cries of "PC Gaming is Dying!"

Activated Node
    I hate DRM, especially limited activations or constant internet required.
    I really, really, really, hate Facebook and Twitter. I do not want Facebook and twitter integration in the stuff I use. I don't want to have to 'like' something on facebook to enter a competition or find out more info.
    I hate the excessive streamlining and bad consolisation of games, especially franchises that were originally PC games and worked fine before they decided to stuff every interaction on one button, put huge fonts in the UI, optimise the gameplay for a 360 controller rather than a keyboard and mouse, and remove basic PC features like in-game control remapping, graphic options and dedicated servers for multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    Erm, what is wrong with constructive criticism and discussion?
    I'm not on about constructive criticism Bob (something I'll all in favour of that). I'm on about hate.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

people who think angry birds is a good videogame or even a possible game of the year candidate, I am all for respecting others opinions but you have to draw the line somewhere.

four hour first person shooters, either give me a proper campaign or don't bother doing it at all.

the way console gamers and some devs don't seem to understand why pc gamers complain about console ports for the pc. its not because we are an elitist pc master race (we are but thats not the point), its because a game designed for consoles is made with the idea that you will be sitting several feet away but when we try to play them on a pc it hurts our eyes. also navigating menus with the arrow buttons on a keyboard is like torture knowing you have a mouse right next to you (I am looking at you witcher 2). we don't complain because we want a better experience, we complain because we want the same experience and all too often we don't get it.

the way this forum keeps logging me out every ten minutes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I really, really, really, hate Facebook and Twitter. I do not want Facebook and twitter integration in the stuff I use. I don't want to have to 'like' something on facebook to enter a competition or find out more info.
    So do I. I ended up getting dragooned into getting a Facebook account because otherwise I missed out on pretty much every social function. Since then it's become an absolute nightmare that I rarely check. Load of absolute nonsense.

I also hate zero-day DLC, the insistance that a division must exist between consoles and PCs (come on devs, put in the extra effort, don't blame one platform for all your problems), cold showers, socks that stretch and don't fit properly, rats, my unstable ADSL2+ connection, random hardware/software issues that can't be traced, completely useless error messages like "An error has occurred", and patients, especially the drunk kind.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    So do I. I ended up getting dragooned into getting a Facebook account because otherwise I missed out on pretty much every social function. Since then it's become an absolute nightmare that I rarely check. Load of absolute nonsense.
    I had a facebook page once, it just kind of sat there for a week, I poked it with a stick a few times to see if it would do anything but I just couldn't figure it out.

completely useless error messages like "An error has occurred", and patients, especially the drunk kind.
    I just got an image in my head of a drunken I.T student wandering into a hospital, yelling out "an error has occurred" and then falling over. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I hate the trend of describing things as "dumbed down" when... well, read my sig.

It's overused, and 90% of the time it's misused. People who aren't smart enough to tell the difference between well-designed challenge and challenging design flaw have no business talking about "dumbing down".
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

/rant on

I really hate the narrow minded short sighted sons of bitches at Microsoft whom when they were coming up with the specification for the 360, decided that the best course of action in order to garner larger initial sales (over longevity as the system) was to ship a base model that didn't have a hard drive (a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link) as well forfeiting the opportunity go over to HD-DVD as a format standard at a time when games were already hitting DVD limits (and to cover up this deficiency they put on hefty licencing penalties to dissuade publishers/developers from releasing multi-disc games). In doing so they screwed over Developers, publishers and gamers and all because they wanted to make a big initial sales splash a good year before the PS3 was even due to come out.

Albeit in a way this hamstringing of game developers having to wrangle their products through the eye of the needle of the 360s hardware deficiencies has been beneficial for us PC gamer's in terms of slowing down the hardware arms race on the PC, it's negative impact on games development and the evolution of the medium is ubiquitous. From the slow assed lifts of Mass Effect, through to split world of Farcry 2, the repeat dungeons of Dragon Age II & the repetitive character models of Mafia 2.

Bastards.....

/rant off

That is all.

Probable Replicant