Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great New IPs of the Last Generation

Prompted by the Bulletstorm piece from the front page.

So we all know how it goes: we rail against the industry's reliance on sequels, except when we like 'em, and celebrate new IP, except when it comes time to actually buy the games. But let's turn that frown upside-down and talk about those new IPs that have joined us over the last few years and won our hearts. I think there's more than we might imagine.

Oh, and new IP that didn't succeed but should've - if only so the flaws could be corrected in the sequel - is fair game too. Mirror's Edge I'm looking at you.

To get a few of the more obvious candidates out of the way:

Mass Effect (EA)
    Assassin's Creed (Ubi)
    Bioshock (2K)
    Gears of War (Epic)
    Portal (Valve)

From roads less travelled, I offer up Atlus' Trauma franchise for DS and Wii which, to quote Chris Schilling in his review of Trauma Team for EG, has the "surgery sim cum fantastical bioterrorist soap opera" genre well and truly sewn up.
    Last edited by Rii; 25-07-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Men of War, rather niche, very unforgiving, thoroughly brilliant.

I'll add Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Overlord, Portal, Company of Heroes, Bioshock and The Witcher if that's okay.
    Last edited by Mihkel; 25-07-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    STALKER needs to be on this list.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

If we allow console games in this topic, Uncharted.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    So, by IP do you mean a franchise IP? Or just an original, non-sequel, game? Because all of Icepick Lodges games have been sublime.

But as far as new series go: Demon's Souls (Dark Souls being the non-numerical sequel), Risen, Sword of the Stars, The Witcher. Would the Xenus games count? Boiling Point, White Gold, Precursors, I sort of see them as all belonging to the same series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Internet Protocols?

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    So, by IP do you mean a franchise IP? Or just an original, non-sequel, game? Because all of Icepick Lodges games have been sublime.
    Good question. I think for the purposes of this thread in celebrating the fact that the traditional games industry can come up with new ideas and have them work the criteria is success, preferably critical as well as commercial. A sequel is a pretty good indicator that a game was to at least some degree successful, but the lack of one doesn't necessarily suggest that it wasn't. Hmm.

Of course that also raises the question of whether a title that simply updates or redresses familiar mechanics and other game elements is a 'new IP' in the meaningful sense in which this thread (perhaps mistakenly) endeavours to use the term. For instance, Flint mentions Uncharted ... but isn't that just an updated Tomb Raider that hews even more closely to the Indiana Jones formula that inspired TR? I haven't actually played the games so that is indeed a question rather than a statement. It's just the impression I've picked up.

And of course then you've got IPs like Bioshock where mechanically it's just System Shock minus depth, but the setting is unique, but now with Infinite we see that the setting isn't an intrinsic part of the IP... blargh.
    Last edited by Rii; 25-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.

I'd almost like to nominate Dead Space as a great new IP, except for the whole likelihood that is for all intents and purposes a rebranded System Shock 3, a-la Bioshock.

Banned
    Call of Duty.

This franchise started out from something very very old school, but it excelled in cinematic effects. Besides, for online gameplay, I always think of it as graphically more beautiful version of Counter-Strike, and more intense version of Rainbow Six. Even up to Black Ops, however, Call of Duty has deliver absolutely nothing new as a shooter game.

And Infinity Ward definitely has to thank Mr. Tom Hanks for inspiration from his great movie "Saving Private Ryan". I don't know why I am so obsessed by this game. Maybe everytime I am in shell shock I am remained of this film. Sometime creativity is not just about create completely new gameplay, it could also be building something new by restructuring old things.
    Last edited by squirrel; 25-07-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Dragon Age has to be the happiest I've been with games in a long while, even if the second one was less grandiose in scale.

IMHO, I think we gamers are overly cynical about the lack of new IPs in the industry. There has been a staggering amount of quality new intellectual property over the last five years, and that's just considering the AAA / AA side of things.

We might have more cause for concern if we start considering genre innovation instead of IP innovation, but that's a whole other thread in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Sometime creativity is not just about create completely new gameplay, it could also be building something new by restructuring old things.
    Yeah, but you do actually have to do some restructuring somewhere along the line. Or take the Gone In 60 Seconds route of remaking films from 40 years ago. Of course the game equivalent of that gap has been like 5 years until recently. :P

Saving Private Ryan was definitely the initital inspiration for the cinematic shooters of the last decade, although I'd argue that Black Hawk Down also played its part. Fortunately the industry has gone on to find something of its own voice in that respect ... Michael Bay's. ;)
    Last edited by Rii; 25-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Iíll wipe Alpha Protocolís jizz off my lips for a moment and mention a few others. If weíre talking about established franchises then how about The Witcher, Overlord, and Trine (a sequel is coming so Iím counting it).

Would Minecraft be Notch's IP?

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarplasma View Post
    Would Minecraft be Notch's IP?
    Well it is certainly an intellectual property of Notch, so. There are iterations appearing on the 360 and smart phones too, so it can be called a successful franchise.

To add more to my list: Metro 2033, Kane & Lynch (yes, maybe their success is debatable, but I love the games), and Mount & Blade.

May I..?

I quite like the Dawn of War saga. Now I kinda have a soft spot for the Blood Ravens.

I'd add Plants Vs Zombies.
    "Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.Ē

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    STALKER, Mirror's Edge, Witcher, aaaand... that's it, since you already said Mass Effect (and I still don't know why BioWare didn't just do a Mass Effect MMO instead of Star Wars).

Every other interesting game I can think of pretty much had an arc that ended and should stay ended.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Mount and Blade?

Sam and Max?

Network Hub
    In non-PC games, i'd throw some DS franchises into the mix: Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright in particular stand out. Also, as much as it's gotten a bit ridiculous now, Kingdom Hearts had, at the very least, great main (PS2) instalments, and a really interesting idea that it followed through on wonderfully. Though I don't know if you'd count it is being in the last generation. Rock Band is also a wonderful series in my opinion, though enthusiam for it seems to have waned recently.

In the PC world, I think almost everything that I would nominate has been accounted for.