Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    In The Matrix: Path of Neo you fight ant-people in an area similar to Escher's Relativity litograph. It doesn't make any sense.
    I fucking love that game.
    That game is so brilliantly aweful it deserves a special award.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    The map changes behind your back, or is laid out in a way that'd be impossible in the real world.
    My first game was like that. it wasn't deliberate though - just some buggy room links and last minute changes that twisted the map before the game was released. :)

I can remember a few old Text Adventures that deliberately used this trick, to make the f**kers impossible to map out properly on grid paper. I can't remember which ones in particular, (At least a couple of the Infocom ones, if I recall correctly) but but the worst offenders either completely wrapped in on themselves, or used a nasty trick whereby you'd leave one room by a particular compass heading, and enter the next from a completely different direction.

<a href="http://www.antichamber-game.com/">Antichamber</a>, formerly "Hazard - The Journey of Life", is <i><b>exactly</i></b> the game you want. There was a (now-thoroughly outdated and probably unflattering) demo released a while back; I for one found it incredibly interesting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    If I remember correctly there was actually a Duke Nukem 3D map which exploited an engine "feature" such that the player could go something like 720 degrees on a circular map before arriving at the start point. I think it was a multiplayer map or something, can't quite recall. Was it called Lunatic Fringe or something? Those kinds of tricks were a bit easier to pull off in sector-based engines which exploited the fact that two sectors could occupy the same "space" so long as you couldn't see from one sector into the other in the same space. At least that was true for BUILD.

Activated Node
    Thief has a few bits of this, especially in The Sword (Constantine's Manor). That has some splendid tricks, probably the most memorable being the door that opens into nothing and the foreshortened perspective illusion corridors ending in teeny doors. It's all the more effective because the mansion starts out pretty ordinary and gets more wrong the further you progress.

SMT: Lucifer's Call/Nocturne saves most of its nastiest games for the Diet Building, as noted above, but dots some trickery around elsewhere, too. I particularly like the prison where going through a portal results in you wandering around the same dungeon on the ceiling.

Was going to bring up Skara Brae, but Wizardry unsurprisingly got on that one first. Will have to settle for "you are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike", which I think is from 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    If I remember correctly there was actually a Duke Nukem 3D map which exploited an engine "feature" such that the player could go something like 720 degrees on a circular map before arriving at the start point. I think it was a multiplayer map or something, can't quite recall. Was it called Lunatic Fringe or something? Those kinds of tricks were a bit easier to pull off in sector-based engines which exploited the fact that two sectors could occupy the same "space" so long as you couldn't see from one sector into the other in the same space. At least that was true for BUILD.
    Yeah, that was Lunatic Fringe. There was another one called Tier Drops that was four different rooms that all occupied the same space.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Those kinds of tricks were a bit easier to pull off in sector-based engines which exploited the fact that two sectors could occupy the same "space" so long as you couldn't see from one sector into the other in the same space. At least that was true for BUILD.
    I know Marathon's engine supported this, and I think Doom and its ilk did as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox
    and I think Doom
    Doom didn't, or at least as far as I know it didn't. If it did... well, I wish I knew that when I was still mapping for it!

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    There's a bit in Batman: Arkham Asylum where you're walking down a corridor that seems very long, and the environment is slowly changing around you. You start off walking down a normal asylum corridor, and by the end it's a dirty back-alley at night in the rain, and if you turn around there's simply darkness following you.
    It was the first time I'd seen such effects in a game, and I was fairly impressed.
    There's also a similar bit earlier on where you enter a room, get told to leave, and "exit" back into the same room. That freaked me out!
    Who shot first? Probably not me - I'm rubbish.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ptft View Post
    There's also a similar bit earlier on where you enter a room, get told to leave, and "exit" back into the same room. That freaked me out!
    Oh gosh, yes, I'd forgotten that bit. Very strange.

I'm playing Halo: Combat Evolved at the moment, and Dragon Age 2 before that. Both of those use repeating rooms to great psychological effect. Going from one room in Halo into an identical room, and then another and another is a genius move to disorient and confuse the player. Likewise DA2, having each dungeon be the same means that the feeling of spookiness from the ghosts and demons present in the game is amplified:
    "I'm sure we've been here before, Varric."
    "No Hawke, it's dark magic that messes with your mind - your very perception of reality is breaking down!"
    "Chilling."
    "Indeed."

Network Hub
    Realms of the Haunting has a few moments where they toy with spatial awareness. Not surprisingly, it features a sort of interdimensional travel (The Tower) and a maze (in Raquia).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Likewise DA2, having each dungeon be the same means that the feeling of spookiness from the ghosts and demons present in the game is amplified
    And everyone thought it was just lazy design. Oh ye of little faith!
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Oh gosh, yes, I'd forgotten that bit. Very strange.

I'm playing Halo: Combat Evolved at the moment, and Dragon Age 2 before that. Both of those use repeating rooms to great psychological effect. Going from one room in Halo into an identical room, and then another and another is a genius move to disorient and confuse the player. Likewise DA2, having each dungeon be the same means that the feeling of spookiness from the ghosts and demons present in the game is amplified:
    "No Hawke, it's dark magic that messes with your mind - your very perception of reality is breaking down!"
    "Chilling."
    "Indeed."
    Sir, I salute you. A thousand internets to you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Likewise DA2, having each dungeon be the same means that the feeling of spookiness from the ghosts and demons present in the game is amplified:
    "Chilling."
    "Indeed."
    I liked that part where you fight the same boss in the same location for the second time and Hawke is like "What the hell! I thought I killed this already!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    The blood of the darkspawn has made all caves the same to me. It's as if I am experiencing permanent deja vu.