Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Only in Australia...
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Though to be fair the nutjob gunman supposedly did write that in his essay thing, it's not like someone just drew a casual link like for Columbine or something. The rest of the article goes on and says that the link between violence and video games is inconclusive. The only idiots quoted in the article are the Australian Christian Lobby, who are... well, idiots.

Did anybody actually read the article or just look at the title and go "Oh, Australia. Lol"?

Oh, Australia. Lol.

(I keed, I keed.)
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I did. Here's the quote from the manifesto or whatever.

Target practise is likely going to be a problem for many people
    in certain countries (urban Europeans like us, ouch:). Consider taking a vacation to a
    country where you are able to train in marksmanship or join a gun club. Simulation by playing
    Call of Duty, Modern Warfare is a good alternative as well but you should try to get
    some practise with a real assault rifle (with red point optic) if possible. There are
    select 2nd or 3rd world countries that offer arrangements where you can practise with an assault
    rifles.

Last edited by Mihkel; 26-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.

I think that it is up to us as gamers to acknowledge that games can be used for this purpose by damaged individuals instead of cursing the media.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    There's a difference between violence and aggression. The press and politicians will draw their usual conclusions between video games and aggression, but this dude is not some aggro teenager all hopped up on Mtn Dew, listening to Korn, and wanting to pwn everyone in the world. His attack was ideological, cold, and calculated. No one writes a 1500 page manifesto and spends years training just because they're all raged out. They just go find some dude in the park and beat them within an inch of their life.

The notion that simulations can provide useful training for real-life activities is not new, and the U.S. military has long used game-like simulations as part of their training. I'm sure that the 9-11 terrorists spent some time in flight simulators, but few would argue that flight simulators were responsible for their motivations.

If I ever become a wealthy philanthropist I'm going to say that giving money to people less fortunate than myself was inspired by endlessly doing quests for little personal gain in RPGs.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I nominate Ian for mayor of the world.
    steam

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    I nominate Ian for mayor of the world.
    does that pay well?
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

so, where are these mouse/gamepad operated shotguns?
    target training in a videogame? really?
    It would have sounded more believable if he said he used NES Duckhunt

Network Hub
    Another choice quote:

Breivik, who also described the game as "the best military simulator out there", said he usually preferred fantasy role-playing games to shooters but "I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else". "I've still learned to love it though and especially the multiplayer part is amazing. You can more or less completely simulate actual operations," he wrote.

Now I've never played a Call of Duty game, but I'm pretty sure they're far from "military simulations". If he'd have been playing ARMA you could possibly raise some valid concerns, but CoD is just an FPS, and really isn't much more of a military sim than Quake or Unreal Tournament in my mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Aiming with a mouse is exactly like handling a gun!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I guess they would argue it can prepare someone pyschologically for killing, though I think that is just as flawed aswell.

Quite literally.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    Now I've never played a Call of Duty game, but I'm pretty sure they're far from "military simulations". If he'd have been playing ARMA you could possibly raise some valid concerns, but CoD is just an FPS, and really isn't much more of a military sim than Quake or Unreal Tournament in my mind.
    Funny thing though, what you learn in Arma is small unit tactics, essentially. You don't learn how to operate a gun, you learn how to move tactically, provide cover, advance in urban environments. I can see how some of these things could be useful, but only if you plan your massacre as a team. A lone gunman has little to learn there..

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Finally, I can fire rubber darts at my screen while I fire at people on my screen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They're both point and click interfaces...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    They're both point and click interfaces...
    Hey, I already made that joke!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node