Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wish Sword of the Stars 2 was more my thing. But it really, really, isn't.:(

Fortunately, Sins Rebellion is the best RTS in years, so hurray!

Assassin's Creed III, from what little I played of it, makes it quite hard to go back to even Brotherhood. Stodgy plot it might have had, but I enjoyed the fluidity of movement (except on branches. Those branches are horribly animated).

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Miasmata. Would have made an interesting dichotomy with FC3. Two games taking place on a tropical island but approaching the premise in utterly different ways.

I wish awesomenauts is there. That game turn the DotAlike genre into a simple 2d battle with focus on platforming (kinda).
    Also, Spec Ops. I feel bad finishing it

If only Ubi expand the MP in AC III into a full blown assassination game (spy vs spy) with maps big enough for 32 players. I don't see any worthwhile improvement on the MP side after about 3 (4?) games

Spec ops: The line - It was really missing from the calendar. A very interesting and thoughtful take on the man-shooting genre.

AssCreed 3: I understand it was not likable by the RPS hive-mind. But personally, the more I play it the me I like it. Yes - It takes a while till the real game kicks in, but the way I see it, it's a story driven game with some sandbox tropes thrown in for your entertainment. And the story is good (IMO IMHO IHMO MIHO), even the Desmond parts. It's much less templars are evil assassins are good and there are some interesting conversations later in the game (don't want to spoil anything).
    There are a couple of awful mechanics (crafting and lockpicking) and a few more great ones (streamlining, naval fights), and as I said before - I am really enjoying this one. A very good Assassin's creed game.

Activated Node
    The magnificent Crusader Kings 2 is definitely GOTY for me. I'd like to add Botanicula and Super Hexagon to that list for sure. I'd also go with Endless Space but I only just bought it (66% off on Steam today). From what I've seen from LPs and a couple of brief games on my brother's PC, it's definitely up there as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    On the twelfth day of Christmas, digital downloads gave to me: Twelve children murdered, eleven shards to conquer, ten iron doors standing, nine lands a-tapping, eight dwarf queens breeding, seven conclaves researching, six berserkers defending, five phase beasts, four crewmen dying, three colours to choose from, two ratman robbers, and a sectoid in a laboratory.
    Here, have all my internets.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Banned
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Arcanum? They missed including an 11 year old game in their list of this year's best games? Fail.

Natural selection 2 would definitely be the one I'd have put there in a hearbeat, I haven't had as much fun with a multiplayer game in years. There's still some bad performance issues, but its not enough to deter me from putting it near the top of my list, right after Dark Souls.

Also, speaking of Dark Souls, if I was making a full 24 day list I'd probably have Dark Souls on 15 of them. It completely overshadowed everything.

Network Hub
    I suspect that they didn't consider Black Mesa because it's not technically done. Maybe once the remainder of the mod is completed, they'll include it for consideration in THAT year's nominations. Just a thought. It was amazing though.

Black Mesa would be a much more stand-out experience for me if it weren't for the fact that I've already played Half-Life to death. A high-def remake doesn't bring enough to the table to be considered truly exemplary for the games of the year.

Also, am I the only one on whom Zineth made such a big impression? I really thought it would be more appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    I suspect that they didn't consider Black Mesa because it's not technically done. Maybe once the remainder of the mod is completed, they'll include it for consideration in THAT year's nominations. Just a thought. It was amazing though.
    DayZ. Just sayin'.

One more vote for Super Hexagon being sorely missed. It was a bit late to the party though, so it's understandable.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Also, am I the only one on whom Zineth made such a big impression? I really thought it would be more appreciated.
    I liked what I played of it, but (I found) it rapidly got difficult to control using kb/m.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I'd say they didn't consider Black Mesa not because it was unfinished or because it was a mod, but because, polished as it was, it's still pretty much Half Life 1, a game that was released eons ago. Didn't really bring anything new or unexpected (besides it's level of polish).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    I suspect that they didn't consider Black Mesa because it's not technically done.
    Like Fanbuoy said, neither is DayZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I'd say they didn't consider Black Mesa not because it was unfinished or because it was a mod, but because, polished as it was, it's still pretty much Half Life 1, a game that was released eons ago. Didn't really bring anything new or unexpected (besides it's level of polish).
    Lots of games on the list didn't bring anything new to the table. It's their list so I won't go all internet angry man and scream that they're wrong, but the whole "it's not finished" or "it's not original" reasons aren't valid. The majority of games that people seem to consider "good" aren't original or innovative, particularly in gameplay mechanics. We've seen a lot of it before. A game doesn't need to be totally original to be a good game - it just needs to do whatever it is to a high standard. Otherwise we might as well call pretty much all the indie games crap because they're mostly reusing mechanics going back to the 8-bit era while wrapping it up in different art.

Spec Ops was the best game this year, in my mind. Not the most fun, by far. Certainly not the most polished. But definitely the best. I don't need a novel or a film to be fun to be considered great, and I'm glad Spec Ops was there to seriously pose the same question about games, both to those who play them and those who make them. Not only did Yager make a genuinely thought-provoking video game, but they did it entirely through the tropes of bleak repetitive manshoots. At one point, I quit the game, turned off the computer, and walked away well before I would otherwise have been done playing, simply because it had unsettled me so. But two days later, I came back. Also: Bruce Boxleitner.

Max Payne 3 is not Max Payne 2 and I kind of hate it for that, and it's basically an on-rails arcade shooter, yet it's also the only 2012 game other than Spec Ops from which I really remember anything vividly. It's a game filled in almost equal proportion with wretchedly awful design decisions and sublime action sequences that feel nearly on par with Hard Boiled or Die Hard. Almost. The former definitely outnumber the latter. Same goes for the times it feels like a mindless revenge fantasy and the times it feels like a critical exploration of machismo through an unreliable narrator. It got plenty of credit for its style, a bit too much for its shooting, and not nearly enough for its thoughtfulness.

Warlock wasn't quite complete on release; some updates and a couple of cheap DLCs refined it to near-perfection, after which it absorbed a goodly portion of my life force directly through the keyboard. I know its UI meant a lot of people saw it as a Civ V clone (though, if anything, Civ V cribbed its aesthetic from Fantasy Wars & Elven Legacy) -- after which it becomes easy to write it off as having none of Civ's complexity. Except it's not trying to. It's a game of conquest. But what that means is up to the player. My last game was meant to be a relatively quick skirmish between four kingdoms on a small continent; a few days and 190 turns later, my High Healer, Blademaster, and Grand Stubborn Master, now essentially demigods, returned from the smoke of a newly razed hell dimension with a flock of dragons hatched in villages founded in the ashes of the beasts' nests, to a vastly changed world for which they now cared very little. The endless border skirmishes ceased not too long after that. People have called Crusader Kings II a story generator. I feel the same about Warlock.
    Last edited by GunnerMcCaffrey; 26-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Spec Ops was the best game this year, in my mind. Not the most fun, by far. Certainly not the most polished. But definitely the best. I don't need a novel or a film to be fun to be considered great, and I'm glad Spec Ops was there to seriously pose the same question about games, both to those who play them and those who make them. Not only did Yager make a genuinely thought-provoking video game, but they did it entirely through the tropes of bleak repetitive manshoots. At one point, I quit the game, turned off the computer, and walked away well before I would otherwise have been done playing, simply because it had unsettled me so. But two days later, I came back. Also: Bruce Boxleitner.
    There's the Kieron Gillen rule though. If a game is shit for 10 hours before it gets good, then it's shit. Spec Ops is a game that is crap until the very end, and even then it doesn't become a good game, but a thought provoking experience. If you don't reach the end because the game is just mind jarringly mediocre, it stays as such.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

I believe you're right Jnx, however I (and I suspect Gunner) don't think its a shit game. What I would say, and what I think Gunner meant, is that its not fun - because it doesn't try to be. It doesn't want you to enjoy shooting all those [SPOILER] American Soliders [/SPOILER].

As oposed to it trying to be fun and failing miserably.

all of which is subjective of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    I believe you're right Jnx, however I (and I suspect Gunner) don't think its a shit game. What I would say, and what I think Gunner meant, is that its not fun - because it doesn't try to be. It doesn't want you to enjoy shooting all those [SPOILER] American Soliders [/SPOILER].

As oposed to it trying to be fun and failing miserably.

all of which is subjective of course.
    Agreed, that's also what I think the game try to present. It's still clunky though