Craig Lea - System of a Solar [OST / Ambient Techno]

Whilst I'm not usually one for spamming boards that I frequent with new mixes, I figured that this might actually be suitable for the good folks of RPS, as opposed to sticking up my latest nose bleed Techno stuff.

It's a bit of a mish mash of sci-fi and sci-fi-esque soundtracks, interspersed with some Ambient(ish) Techno.

http://soundcloud.com/craig-lea/crai...tem-of-a-solar

Gustavo Santaolalla - Can Light Be Found In The Darkness?
    Larry Heard Faint Object Detection
    U.N.K.L.E. Cut Me Loose (Redux)
    Speedy J - De-Orbit
    Clint Mansell - Welcome to Lunar Industries
    John Murphy - All To Heaven / A Particularly Beautiful Day
    Drax Two Middle Earth
    Larry Heard Galactic Travels Suite
    John Murphy Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor)
    Technasia Sounds of Solar Oscillations
    Deetron Isotope
    Brian Eno An Ending (Ascent)
    Technasia Final Quadrant (Cosmic Blast)
    James Horner Main Title
    John Murphy Two Last Hopes Are Better Than One
    Connective Zone Amecia
    Toto House Atreides
    Toto Prologue/Main Title
    Clint Mansell - Welcome to Lunar Industries (Three Year Stretch)
    Speedjack From The Clouds
    Darren Price Airspace
    Outro

Woah, really liking this, thanks for posting the mix. Very well put together and you have great taste. I've downloaded to listen to properly later.

Not listened to the end yet, but wait a minute...Toto? THAT Toto? The 'Africa' Toto?

Take it you've appropriated your forum name from DJ Surgeon? LOVE his stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I prefer the ambienty, atmospheric parts more than the more dance-musicy parts, but that's just me.
    Bits of it remind me of Exploration Suite from Rettic's "sounds for flying" mix.
    http://rettic.com/post/432505513/sou...r-flying-vol-1

I found myself at the other end, while I really love stuff like the Clint Mansell Moon soundtrack and the Eno Apollo, that sort of thing is my daily background soundtrack, when I got to that bloody tremendous Speedy J track my ear was then really wanting more in the same vein and the Mansell took me in the opposite direction. But then I do love a bit of techno.

The Gustavo Santolalla opening track is gorgeous. Not someone I'd heard of, will look out for more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    looks like it's a something for everyone mix then :)

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel
    Bits of it remind me of Exploration Suite from Rettic's "sounds for flying" mix.
    Cheers for that link Weasel, that looks right up my street. I'll give that a whirl this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J
    Woah, really liking this, thanks for posting the mix. Very well put together and you have great taste. I've downloaded to listen to properly later.
    Cheers fella, and thanks for favouriting my mix on Sound Cloud Johnny, I really appreciate it :)

when I got to that bloody tremendous Speedy J track my ear was then really wanting more in the same vein and the Mansell took me in the opposite direction. But then I do love a bit of techno.

The Gustavo Santolalla opening track is gorgeous. Not someone I'd heard of, will look out for more.
    Normally when I construct a tracklist I'll program the mix so that it builds in intensity towards the end.
    I couldn't quite see that working for this, as you'd end up with most of the sound track stuff at the beginning and the Techno at the end.
    So instead I thought I'd try and scatter the Techno through out to keep it more interesting.
    Which means it swings back and forth quite a bit.

That Santaolalla track is from 21 Grams.
    I really like this from it too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lW77TXuRs

Not listened to the end yet, but wait a minute...Toto? THAT Toto? The 'Africa' Toto?

Take it you've appropriated your forum name from DJ Surgeon? LOVE his stuff.
    Yep, that Toto. Hehe.
    I love Lynch's version of Dune, and those two tracks in particular.

Spot on with the Surgeon reference.
    Communications was the first Techno album that I ever bought back in '96, and I've never looked back since.

Speedy J's early work is just phenomenal.
    Ginger, G Spot and !ive are great examples of how to make beautiful Techno albums.
    I love his insane stuff as well, although I'm finding most of his output since the Minimal explosion to be pretty boring.
    I think this is pretty much my number one track of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw-fWq_iRXQ

But thanks for the kind comments, really glad you liked it :D

ahhhh. I love creating mixes myself, I do quite love this one. Its very space nightsy. (look up space nights, if you dont know it yet :D)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I just reccommended this a couple of times over, thanks for the mix! (maybe I should start posting mine as well..)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."