Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Nightmare House (Fear-like half life 2 mod) - any good?

Homepage.

Apparently this has been floating around since 2010 but i can't remember reading anything about it.

Opinions? Is the horror subtle or of the monster-in-closet kind?

Last edited by Wolfenswan; 27-07-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Sounds interesting enough. *downloads*
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The horror is well, ripped off. It's pretty much never monster-in-closet, but expect scary little girls, orchestra stings and asylums.
    I'm not a horror genre fan at all, so it did little for me, excluding the bit with the manikins, which never makes any sense plot wise, but I did find fairly creepy.

It is however long and very well put together and I'd certainly recommend a play of it - although it only gets interesting really a bit in. It's also very, very linear and scripted, but for a horror experience in HL2, that should surprise noone.

Overall, it's no Minerva or Research and Development, but is certainly competitive with stuff like Riot Act as HL2 mod quality goes, and adds more new models, textures and sounds than any of those.

I quite enjoyed it. Its worth playing the original first (which is very short) to get a bit of the generic story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    I quite enjoyed it. Its worth playing the original first (which is very short) to get a bit of the generic story.
    NH2 contains the haunted house from "Nightmare House Remake" as the (optional) first level. I was under the impression (from the name of it and all) that NHr was just a fixed up version of NH1.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    NH2 contains the haunted house from "Nightmare House Remake" as the (optional) first level. I was under the impression (from the name of it and all) that NHr was just a fixed up version of NH1.
    Ah you are right it is. I remember playing it twice. The remake does differ in that it uses a lot more models made for the mod, rather than hl2 stuff.

Network Hub
    I wasn't a fan. Some atmospheric level design at the beginning though.