Dear Mr Walker...

So I finally arrived back at my parents' house today after 3 years of living at university, and collected the most recent issues of PC Gamer UK which I couldnt be arsed to forward to my latest student address. Leafing through the pages, and arriving at my usual first-stop destination of They're Back, I was utterly stunned to discover that John Walker is leaving the mag for good. I mean, the man has been there for twelve years. Twelve years! Thats over half of my entire life!

Anyway, I'd just like to say cheers for the years of glorious gaming journalism (you always were my favourite PCG/RPS writer), and I hope this means that you'll have more time to contribute to RPS!

Cheers,
    Frenz

Banned
    i stopped reading that back in like 2004 when that ginger guy sold out with that half life 2 review. I didnt know it was still around.

It was great back in 1995-2001 though. So was pc format and pc zone.

I miss magazines and coverdiscs.

Sadly I haven't considered PC Gamer to be a powerhouse for a long time. It was once the shining beacon of hope after the fall of AP.

Ever since I found I could read RPS on the throne (you know what I mean) on my iPhone, processed woodpulp media has lost its last purpose in my life.

I still subscribe to PCG, sad to hear that JW is leaving. Maybe he's concentrating his writing on RPS from now on.

@Simon

What 'ginger guy'? I know for a fact that the person who reviewed Half Life 2 for PC Gamer UK was none other than Jim Rossignol.

@frenz0rz

Presumably you've seen what Walker wrote about this on his blog?

On Signing Off From PC Gamer And They’re Back

Obscure Node Where Is My Halftime Pie?'s Avatar
    Does Mr Walker have a fan club? He should have, and members should get badges and perform a secret handshake.

Network Hub
    Nads, I loved John's They're Back.

I stopped buying PCG mainly because of the price to size ratio. I understand that you can't expect a tome, but for over a fiver I really want something that'll last me more than a day. I know that might not be reasonable, but I don't really have to be reasonable with my consumer products. For quite a while I was buying it just because I enjoyed the podcast so much.

Still, PCG has always been "my" mag. Even during the period when I essentially gave up on PCG gaming for the 360(before I discovered older classics and paradox games ran fine on a laptop) I kept up buying. I'll probably still read RPS when I'm 52 and haven't gone near a game in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Where Is My Halftime Pie? View Post
    Does Mr Walker have a fan club? He should have, and members should get badges and perform a secret handshake.
    I'm willing to invest heavily in this. Take my money, take it now

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Where Is My Halftime Pie? View Post
    Surely some manner of secret hug would be more appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    @frenz0rz

Presumably you've seen what Walker wrote about this on his blog?

On Signing Off From PC Gamer And They’re Back
    Ah cheers pal, I'd not actually read that.

I had no idea there was such professional opposition to 'silliness' in games journalism. In fact, having been subscribed to PCG for over eight years, and having followed RPS more or less since it's inception, I'd simply assumed such humour to be the norm. Thats something I'll definately bear in mind if I'm ever lucky enough to embark on such a career myself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was slightly disappointed they didn't make him review Myst one last time though.

You folk also know John has a pretty awesome podcast yes: http://botherer.org/tag/rum-doings/ - they even had Ben Goldacre as a guest once.

One thing I was always curious about with regards to They're Back, but seemed rude to ask, was how long was spent playing the games for re-review. Especially if they'd already been played before.

I'm disappointed that this thread isnt a John Walker rant by WASD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I stopped reading PC Gamer UK when they gave a beta version of Empire: Total War a 94%

Still, for all I know John is one of the good ones.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I stopped reading PC Gamer UK when they gave a beta version of Empire: Total War a 94%

Still, for all I know John is one of the good ones.
    That's interesting, because apparently our very own Jom Rissignol wrote said review.

I don't read any game publication for reviews so I can't say I could see me self stop reading something based on a review. I know enough people that honestly hate games that I love and honestly love games that I hate that I've accepted that no review is going to be "right". I do enjoy reading reviews to see the perspective of the writer, but mostly I read for all the things before the reviews at the back of the mag.

The problem with the Empire review is that alot of the issues with the game depended upon circumstance and having played the game for an extended period. It's hard to notice the absence of naval invasions if your a land-locked nation, or if you haven't had the time to play a complete or even multiple campaigns. Reviewing a game like the Total War series can be very difficult if you don't have extended access because the AI can and will behave differently, its hard to spot patterns based on only one (or half) a campaign.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Simon
    Banned

Guess that second chance didn't work out after all.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Web Cole View Post
    That's interesting, because apparently our very own Jom Rissignol wrote said review.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    The problem with the Empire review is that alot of the issues with the game depended upon circumstance and having played the game for an extended period. It's hard to notice the absence of naval invasions if your a land-locked nation, or if you haven't had the time to play a complete or even multiple campaigns. Reviewing a game like the Total War series can be very difficult if you don't have extended access because the AI can and will behave differently, its hard to spot patterns based on only one (or half) a campaign.
    Same with MMOs. Fundamental problem that writers are paid by the word, not by the length of time they spend playing the game.