Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Help me bluff my way in combat flight sims

So a friend of mine asked me the other day if I knew of "any good fighter jet simulators?"

He specifed the following criteria:

1. "British preferable but not essential"
    2. "It has to run on my computer, which started to feel its age around 2008."
    3. "An option to have Danger Zone playing in the background would not be frowned upon."

Now, normally I'm pretty good at keeping up with everything videogames. I've got all the cool blogs in my Google Reader, heck, I've even got the "New Releases on Steam" RSS feed in there. But I tend to glaze over when it comes to sims generally, and flight sims in particular. So I had very little to offer. I came up with IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover and DCS A-10C Warthog, neither of which really fit the bill, and after that I rather drew a blank.

So, RPS Forums, fount of all gaming knowledge worth knowing, help me to maintain my charade of being a cool and interesting person who knows all about the best games, new and old:

Are there any good, not-terribly-high-spec-demanding combat flight simulators involving British jets out there?
    Last edited by 4026; 28-07-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Cliffs of Dover is supposed to be terrible at the moment, wait for it to get patched.

Um... LOMAC: Flaming Cliffs 2?

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Cliffs of Dover is supposed to be terrible at the moment, wait for it to get patched.
    Its had quite a few patches and is not terrible any more. However, I would recommend waiting until the sound has been redone, which should be the next few weeks as progress is being made.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Falcon 4.0: Allied Force
    IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
    F/A-18E Super Hornet
    MiG 29: Fulcrum (this would probably be the best fit for Danger Zone)
    Red Baron
    Last edited by agentorange; 28-07-2011 at 10:20 AM.

For jets, I'd also recommend Falcon 4.0 AF or Flaming Cliffs 2, though I'm not sure how well FC2 would run on an old computer.

Not much springs to mind for British jets (modern sims anyway), but '46 should be bought anyway :)

Oh, man, you guys are so damn great. Also, fast. Fast like... some kind of jet-propelled aircraft. Thanks. I'll pass these on.

I love that Falcon 4 is still being mentioned, something like 12-13 years after release. It really was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I love that Falcon 4 is still being mentioned, something like 12-13 years after release. It really was the best.
    Really? A hasty wikipedia search gives its release date as 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by 4026 View Post
    Really? A hasty wikipedia search gives its release date as 2005.
    Allied Force is basically a collection of mods for Falcon 4, which a hasty wikipedia search shows came out in 1998.

You are, of course, correct.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    "Allied Force was released on June 28, 2005, and is largely a compilation and unification of existing modifications over the original Falcon 4.0 and the official patches."
    Man, it would have been incredible if I'd actually read that article I linked to, huh? Cheers...

EDIT: Er... but it's a standalone, right? You wouldn't need to buy the original Falcon 4.0 as well?
    Last edited by 4026; 28-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Banned
    glaze over

Quote Originally Posted by amandachen View Post
    glaze over
    Were you correcting me, or merely describing your own reaction to jet sims? Either way, I've taken the opportunity to correct my post.

AND NO-ONE WILL BE ANY THE WISER.

Yes, standalone.

There's always the HAWX games, if he's new to genre and doesn't want something that's a complete simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    There's always the HAWX games, if he's new to genre and doesn't want something that's a complete simulation.
    Yeah, I think this is the first question that needs to be answered and seemingly hasn't been. Your friendship may not survive your recommending him Falcon 4.0 if what he's really looking for is Ace Combat. Not everyone has the same understanding of what a 'sim' is.
    Last edited by Rii; 28-07-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Heh, I'll check, but since he's talking about joining the RAF, I'd imagine the simmier the better.

Mods have added a lot of British planes for IL2 1946 (such as the wellington, halifax and lancaster) and you can always get add on British Jets for the Microsoft Flight sims, but that wouldnt be combat, despite some weapon effects.

I'm not a flight sim person so I could be totally off on this, but it seems to me there's a lack of combat flight sims covering the period from the 1950s-70s. Is that impression accurate and if so, why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I'm not a flight sim person so I could be totally off on this, but it seems to me there's a lack of combat flight sims covering the period from the 1950s-70s. Is that impression accurate and if so, why is that?
    I think there's a lack of interesting aircraft and major air combat events for that time period. The best game I can think of that covers that period would be Wings Over Vietnam, which is mostly the 60's. It was recently re-released as part of Strike Fighters. There was MiG Alley, and that covered the time period of the Korean War, but it's really showing its age now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    I think there's a lack of interesting aircraft and major air combat events for that time period.
    Sir I object!

The reason I brought it up is because when I hear 'British jets' the aircraft that occur to me are from that era: the Venom, Lightning, TSR.2, etc. There're plenty of fascinating aircraft of that era from other nations too, perhaps closest to my heart being the A-4 Skyhawk.

From a gameplay perspective I'm surprised the period isn't more popular because it would seem to strike a balance between the rat-a-tat dogfights of yesteryear and modern electric jets. Plus you've got period-specific combat circumstances such as dedicated supersonic interceptors arrayed against lumbering Soviet bombers. And yeah, Korea and Vietnam as conflicts featuring both A2A and A2G combat.
    Last edited by Rii; 28-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.