Thread: SWTOR: Classes

SWTOR: Classes

I have pre-ordered this based on my love of KOTOR but have very little MMO experience (one lonely week on WoW). I was just wondering what classes you guys are thinking of playing. I'm thinking of using a Bounty Hunter as my main just because I'm thinking of doing some soloing.

Discuss/flame away!

In the dungeon walkthrough I saw a while back I thought the Jedi Consular looked the most interesting with its mix of melee and ranged and support skills whilst on the other end of the scale the ... class that stood behind cover with a gun all the time ... looked pretty boring. Of course those were just my impressions; I'll try and find the video in question as I think it's a good way of comparing the various playstyles, at least insofar as group play is concerned.

EDIT: Here it is:

Last edited by Rii; 28-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.

I think I may play trooper. It seems to be the ranged DPS who has some freedom of movement (as apposed to cover) which should make it viable for PvP.

As to how great the PvP will be in SW:TOR, who knows. They surely haven't stressed PvP as a feature much.

I'm planning on paying the $5 to pre-order this just for the preview weekends - it'll have to be pretty good to get me to shell out the rest of the cash plus a monthly sub. But for those, I'm probably going to be boring and play a Sith Warrior because I have yet to get over my childhood obsession with Darth Vader.

Obscure Node
    I have to be a light saber wielding Jedi Knight. I just don't have the will power to play anything more interesting at first because I love light saber combat so much. I remember in KOTOR2 teleporting around the map with force jump and +51/+40/+30/+20/+15 attacks each round. All the enemies on the map would just evaporate as the game's camera failed to track my Jedi as he mercilessly murdered his foes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbane View Post
    As to how great the PvP will be in SW:TOR, who knows. They surely haven't stressed PvP as a feature much.
    Which is fairly consistent with their "we must be like WoW in all things" dogma.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    I too like to make assumptions about games I have not ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by mR.Waffles View Post
    I too like to make assumptions about games I have not ever played.
    For one, I've seen all the previews. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... I don't need to cook it to know it'd make good duck soup.

For two, they said it themselves!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    For one, I've seen all the previews. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... I don't need to cook it to know it'd make good duck soup.

For two, they said it themselves!
    I dunno, I do a fair impression of a duck and I'd say I'd make a HORRIBLE soup...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    I dunno, I do a fair impression of a duck and I'd say I'd make a HORRIBLE soup...
    Only one way to find out. Now GET IN THE POT
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

The thing that puts me off this game is that surely EVERYONE under the age of 18 is gonna be playing one of the jedi classes. I wouldn't be surprised if they take up 75% of the playerbase. The pvp especially could get very boring if everyone is playing the same 4 classes and the other 4 are much rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    The thing that puts me off this game is that surely EVERYONE under the age of 18 is gonna be playing one of the jedi classes. I wouldn't be surprised if they take up 75% of the playerbase. The pvp especially could get very boring if everyone is playing the same 4 classes and the other 4 are much rarer.
    Now I want a Republic Commando sequel. :(
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    but if you are able to make a dedicated jedi killer who might suck at everything else besides jedi killing you might be loathed by so many.

that's very appealing thought isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    but if you are able to make a dedicated jedi killer who might suck at everything else besides jedi killing you might be loathed by so many.

that's very appealing thought isn't it?
    You... make a very good point.

I wonder how effective Imperial Agents will be at ranged deeps.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Obscure Node
    It is really hard to blame Star Wars fans for wanting to be Jedi Knights. That's like complaining that all Battlestar Galactica fans want to fly a Viper and not scrub the poop deck.

Quote Originally Posted by mR.Waffles View Post
    It is really hard to blame Star Wars fans for wanting to be Jedi Knights. That's like complaining that all Battlestar Galactica fans want to fly a Viper and not scrub the poop deck.
    Now if only Jedi Knights weren't such Mary Sues...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I just love the idea of playing a "Jedi-Killer." That should be a game.