Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec

GTX 260 core 216 vs GT 530

My friend is getting a new PC. He's going to swap out his GT 530 for another one. I have a GTX 260. I was wondering if the GT 530 was better?

I don't know what all the numbers mean but 260 has some higher ones in some areas, 530 in others. I don't know enough about this stuff to make anything of it.

I do know that the 260 is a big brick thing and the 530 looks skimpy. I don't know if that matters.

The 530 is a lower end budget card. The 260 is somewhere around a 550ti in the current line up so it is by far the better card. Out of interest where is your friend getting the 530 from? I thought they were only available to OEMs.

He's buying a pre-built Dell with high end specs, it comes with the 530. He's going to swap it out for a GTX 560.

I know, I know, pre-built is a rip-off. But you just can't convince some people.

Thanks for the info.

The first digit is the series number. So, in august this year the '6XX' series will be released. Then, the last two digits represent how decent a card that is relative to other cards in the series, and to the cards beforehand (To an extent.). So, the 580 is better than the 560, and better than the 480. I think.

I knew that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    I don't know what all the numbers mean but 260 has some higher ones in some areas, 530 in others. I don't know enough about this stuff to make anything of it.
    That led me to believe that you didn't. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    That led me to believe that you didn't. ;)
    "Numbers," "some," "ones," "areas" strongly imply that I'm talking about the various numbers that make up their specs, not the the one number that is their model number.