Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Different Versions of Deus Ex Human Revolution

Sometimes it feels like publishers are trying to make the experience of buying and playing a game as difficult and annoying as possible.

If I understand it correctly, you could buy the standard version of Deus Ex. Or, you could buy the special version, from certain shops, which comes with a special bonus mission, and a couple of special weapons, and an automatic unlocking device. Or, you could buy an even specialer version, which comes with yet more special weapons, and 10,000 credits.

So, I have to wonder, is the unlocking of doors so shit in game that an automatic unlocking device is worthwhile? Or do the publishers think it is a good idea to give away something which essentially negates part of the game? Having avoided previews as much as possible, perhaps I am unaware of how the game plays, and the unlocking of doors is not tied to your character progress and is simply a boring chore?

As for the version with all those credits... In what way does it make sense to fry the economy of the game from the start? Or is 10,000 credits simply enough to buy a couple of ammo clips (in which case, why even bother?)?

I can just about tolerate them giving away free weapons with different pre-order versions (although one of the weapons is the always enjoyable remote mines), but some of the pre-order bonuses seem intended to break the game.

So, it seems almost more worthwhile to avoid the special versions, and go for the basic one without the credits or automatic unlocking device... Except that way you lose the bonus mission.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others, particularly if there is something I am missing in all this...

The more people who buy the special versions, the more game companies will feel justified in offereng them. Take a stand -- buy the basic version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Here's the thing I think about collectors editions at launch and why I've never got or even wanted one:
    I don't know before I've played it if the game is going to mean that much to me.
    I don't even know if it will be any good.
    I certainly don't know which bits are important.

If I wanted a special version of a game because it was special to me, the problem is I'd already have the game. Sometimes maybe I'd be prepared to buy one later if it came with the right bits (someone bought Civ 2 collectors edition for me, it was ace), like expansions/DLC whatever. But that's never the way it works. To me, buying special editions that are preorder/launch only is just a way of saying "I'm super gullible and easily dragged in by hype!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I've never bought a special edition or collectors edition of a game other than the 'Digital deluxe' versions, which are usually just the normal version with launch dlc.

But Human revolution does tempt me. Apparently PC Gamer have scored it 94% in their magazine and it has GOTY written all over it I reckon.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    But Human revolution does tempt me. Apparently PC Gamer have scored it 94% in their magazine and it has GOTY written all over it I reckon.
    But even a 94% GOTY doesn't mean it will be a game that matters to me. Bioshock received universal praise and awards, yet I'd feel really silly if I had a big daddy statue kicking around, as the game didn't engage with me at all.

On the other hand, a bag that looked like Jade's S.A.C. from BG&E would be pretty neat, but that only got middling critical reception.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Well, the fact that the original was a seminal moment in gaming for me personally and that the idea of a sequel that lives up to its legacy physically excites me probably has something to do with it as well.

Although, come to think of it, system shock 2 was probably after Deus Ex my most important game, but I didn't feel the urge to get an SE of 'spiritual sequel' Bioshock.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    But even a 94% GOTY doesn't mean it will be a game that matters to me. Bioshock received universal praise and awards, yet I'd feel really silly if I had a big daddy statue kicking around, as the game didn't engage with me at all.

On the other hand, a bag that looked like Jade's S.A.C. from BG&E would be pretty neat, but that only got middling critical reception.
    Hey! I had that fucking statue! But then again, I also loved the game.

BTW, any MP mode for DX:HR planned? Would be funny if they added it onto it afterwards, just like DX!
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 29-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    The more people who buy the special versions, the more game companies will feel justified in offereng them. Take a stand -- buy the basic version.
    I think you are right. I had pretty much decided to buy the basic version, and although sometimes I am a sucker for the pre-orders, I do feel like a sucker every time.

I just don't like feeling I am missing out part of the game (the bonus mission).

I asked this question on Bioware's forums once and the answer from the fanboys was basically "I like shiny things and feeling overpowered".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Hey! I had that fucking statue! But then again, I also loved the game.
    Exactly. So for you the little Big Daddy has some meaning - it reminds you of a game and experience you loved, it's a pretty cool trinket. But you don't know whether it will be that, or just some junk until you've played the game.

Most pre-order stuff is either worthless to begin with or just a crutch for early levels, that is easily outclassed very soon.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh it's even worse. You have to differentiate not just by version, but by locale and retailer too.

So you've got the Standard Edition (which insofar as preorders go they're calling the "Limited Edition"), which comes with the increasingly-customary retailer-specific extras. I believe this comes in the form of two different ingame content sets. Depending on where you live, different things may or may not be available.

Then you've got the Augmented Edition, which comes with both ingame content sets and a few other bells and whistles. Unless you buy it from Steam, which makes no mention of the ingame content, but instead throws in the previous two Deus Ex titles.

Then there's the Collector's Edition, which is physical-only, and comes with all ingame content and a load of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post

So, I have to wonder, is the unlocking of doors so shit in game that an automatic unlocking device is worthwhile? Or do the publishers think it is a good idea to give away something which essentially negates part of the game? Having avoided previews as much as possible, perhaps I am unaware of how the game plays, and the unlocking of doors is not tied to your character progress and is simply a boring chore?

As for the version with all those credits... In what way does it make sense to fry the economy of the game from the start? Or is 10,000 credits simply enough to buy a couple of ammo clips (in which case, why even bother?)?
    RE the unlocking device.... I think it might actually be a consumable. I think there's also a one-use explosive device included in the augmented edition too.

Consumables I don't mind so much, and cash you can choose not to use, but the holding back of a mission (especially one with a nod to fans of the series) is pretty damn shitty. Unless they will release it later on down the line for everyone. I might think about forgiving them then.

To be honest though, it doesn't affect me as I was buying the augmented edition for the dvd and artbook. I don't mind paying extra (well, in theory - I got a cheap preorder) for real-world, non-game-affecting items.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I deplore this practice, and I have not and will not buy a collectors' edition, deluxe edition, etc. or pre-order a game.

Don't the augmented or whatever versions have a unique mission with Tracer Tong as well? So if your're scraping around just to get the basic version (as I am) you miss out on this npc completely?

As much as I hope Deus Ex 3 is a return to form for the series, this bonkers strategy of bleeding players dry just to get the weapons they hoped to be using anyway is really beginning to grate.

The extra items, etc you get ingame are worthless. 10,000 credits will buy you 2 (I believe) Praxis points; worth much more than a couple of magazines of ammunition, but it doesn't last long. The weapons, you can get later on. They're just normal weapons with a few modifications, I believe. The 'UR-DED's, the explosive charges, are ubiquitous in-game. The automatic unlocking devices are uncommon, but they're certainly not exclusive to the limited editions. If I were to get the Augmented Edition, it would be for the artwork, making of DVD etc alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    The extra items, etc you get ingame are worthless. 10,000 credits will buy you 2 (I believe) Praxis points; worth much more than a couple of magazines of ammunition, but it doesn't last long. The weapons, you can get later on. They're just normal weapons with a few modifications, I believe. The 'UR-DED's, the explosive charges, are ubiquitous in-game. The automatic unlocking devices are uncommon, but they're certainly not exclusive to the limited editions. If I were to get the Augmented Edition, it would be for the artwork, making of DVD etc alone.
    That is very useful, thank you. I wondered if I was missing something - whenever I had tried to find out is always seemed to read as though the items were exclusive, which seemed designed to piss people off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I think there is a twofold impetus for these decisions:
    1 - In the run-up to the game, you get more stories published on game blogs and the like for press releases detailing "Bonus Content" (actually content omitted from the standard game). A surprisingly large amount of free publicity.
    2 - $$$

Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    That is very useful, thank you. I wondered if I was missing something - whenever I had tried to find out is always seemed to read as though the items were exclusive, which seemed designed to piss people off.
    Furthermore I should point out that the items actually ruin the games' balance. You're given them on your first mission, completely filling up your inventory leaving you unable to pick up any more weapons. They come with hardly any ammunition so you're unable to use them for that long. Eventually, I dropped them. You could sell them later I guess, but it seems a bit disjointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Furthermore I should point out that the items actually ruin the games' balance. You're given them on your first mission, completely filling up your inventory leaving you unable to pick up any more weapons. They come with hardly any ammunition so you're unable to use them for that long. Eventually, I dropped them. You could sell them later I guess, but it seems a bit disjointing.
    That is what I feared. Almost as though they balanced the game, got it so it played how they intended, then if you pre-order you get a bunch of stuff dumped on you at the start, breaking the game. I get that you don't have to use items, can drop them, but it seems a little daft.