Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Wait what? So they rather play video games & watch TV then have hot girlfriends?! Maybe Japan is a part of Bizzaro World, that would explain a lot of things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    Wait what? So they rather play video games & watch TV then have hot girlfriends?! Maybe Japan is a part of Bizzaro World, that would explain a lot of things.
    If your cues for what constitutes 'romance' come less from the observation of actual real life romances around you and more from the 'fantasy' idealized romance that the media presents, then you might well find real life underwhelming because it doesn't live up to your expectations, and thus choose to eschew it.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

This still doesn't mean that it's not normal. It's stupid to be dissapointed in real life romance because it doesn't live up to your fantasies. They got to wake up and accept reality and see that not everything will be ideal nor served on a silver plate.

This still doesn't mean that it's not normal. It's stupid to be dissapointed in real life romance because it doesn't live up to your fantasies. They got to wake up and accept reality and see that not everything will be ideal nor served on a silver plate.
    What's normal behaviour in the 20th century? I mean what does it honestly matter how strangers choose to live their lives as long as they are themselves happy and not harming anyone else in the process?

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Are you sure they are happy? Maybe they would rather have a real girlfriend, but are too shy. So they use this game as a pathetic substitue. It doesn't really matter how these distant stranger live, but it's the fact that a human being is able of such lame & pathetic behaviour that disturbs people. I agree that normality is a relative term, especially in the 21. century, but somethings just shouldn't be considered or accepted as normal. For instance, in the ancient Roman Empire, among the nobility many things we would call abnormal & perverse were considered as socialy acceptable behaviour, like masturbating with snakes hanging on your nipples.
    Last edited by NecroKnight; 30-07-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Are you sure they are happy? Maybe they would rather have a real girlfriend, but are too shy. So they use this game as a pathetic substitue. It doesn't really matter how these distant stranger live, but it's the fact that a human being is able of such lame & pathetic behaviour that disturbs people. I agree that normality is a relative term, especially in the 21. century, but somethings just shouldn't be considered or accepted as normal. For instance, in the ancient Roman Empire, among the nobility many things we would call abnormal & perverse were considered as socialy acceptable behaviour, like masturbating with snakes hanging on your nipples.
    Given no ones forcing them to do what they do save themselves the question is moot. You have to allow people live the lives they choose to. Personally I'm no advocate for tattoos or body modification, but that doesn't mean I look down on people who choose to have them done. I have reasons why I wouldn't do them myself, but I don't push them. If a friend asked me whether they should get a tattoo or ear plugs I'd give them my reasons why I think they are a bad idea, however I wouldn't be disappointed if they ultimately opted to have them done.

Probable Replicant

It doesn't change the fact that it's totally lame. You have your views, I have my views. It is obvious that our conversation isn't going anywhere, so let's just leave it.

I would find it interesting though if they had the chance to experience the alternatives or if they would stick to their lifestyle if they could (experience real relationships).

[...] the fact that it's totally lame. [...]
    This is where you're wrong. You should have written opinion there.

That said, if you could create a fake reality for yourself where everything is the way you'd like it, and you're not harming anyone, wouldn't you do it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I mean this problem is going to get compounded once robots with real personalities that you can program in and they can look and act like hot girls. I mean isn't Japan one of the countries leading the charge to get that in?

I guess there is one benefit to it, you coould pretty much sort out the whole population problem in one move ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    (hence their birth rate going down, their population ageing rapidly, and their need for robot people to look after all the old people - and to be girlfriends*).
    There is nothing unusual about the Japanese case. Fertility rates are declining everywhere. TFRs are already below replacement level (~2.1) throughout most of Asia and Europe and the global population will likely peak before the turn of the century. Africa is the only real engine of human population growth left. Japan's TFR isn't even the lowest in Asia, nor did the phenomenon of sub-replacement fertility even first arise there: Scandinavia was first.
    Last edited by Rii; 30-07-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megagun View Post
    This is where you're wrong. You should have written opinion there.

That said, if you could create a fake reality for yourself where everything is the way you'd like it, and you're not harming anyone, wouldn't you do it?
    No, I wouldn't create a fake reality where everything is the way I like. The fact that it's all fake wouldn't let me fully enyoj it; just another way to escape the harsh real world. You got to accept reality, when things get though stop bi***ing and get on your feet again.

I always said games were for fairies.

What are you then doing on a forum for PC gaming?

No, I wouldn't create a fake reality where everything is the way I like. The fact that it's all fake wouldn't let me fully enyoj it; just another way to escape the harsh real world. You got to accept reality, when things get though stop bi***ing and get on your feet again.
    No, you gotta accept reality, and then make it into what you want it to be, without facing away from it.

... he's a fairy.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Physically, that's something that's enhanced by the anime styling which is abstract enough to leave room for the imagination to fill in the best possible details, yet aesthetic enough to be attractive. But behaviourally, they're very idealised, too. It's hard for real girls to compete.
    I don't want to get into trouble but real girls have real vaginas. That kind of makes it a non-contest.*

*Disclaimer before I get crucified - Yes, real girls are more than vaginas. I know.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Making posts that fly over folks' heads.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    I don't want to get into trouble but real girls have real vaginas.
    That's just an urban legend.

Got any proof?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    That's just an urban legend.
    You keep telling yourself that. :p