Obscure Node

Keyboard / Mouse Recommendations?

So my current mouse / keyboard have failed to last a year and I'm looking for replacements (both Razer products).

For mice it seems that Logitech is the way to go, I've been looking at the MX518 / G400 but I'm open to alternative suggestions.

As for keyboards I'm a little lost, I don't really care for fancy backlit keys and the like.
    I'm looking for something comfortable and reliable, no added features. Just a keyboard.

This was recommended, but looks a little too "cheap":
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Co...1970417&sr=1-1

I'd be grateful for any recommendations you could offer.

Price isn't too much of an issue, but the cheaper the better.

Thank you.

I like the MS intellimouse explorer 3.0. I liked the 1.1 better, but you can't get those anymore. Relatively cheap, very comfortable, has a couple thumb buttons (though it's been my experience that many games only support one of them). The 1.1 lasted me 10 years but crapped out a few months ago. I got the 3.0 then, and so far so good.

For the keyboard, besides the dumb features like multimedia keys and back lights, the only things you need to think about really are do you want an ergonomic keyboard, do you want mechanical keys, or do you not really care about either. For ergonomic, I like the MS Ergo 4000 keyboard. If you're looking for mechanical keys, might as well get the original and get a used IBM Model M (which is what I'm using at home right now, absolutely love it), or a new replica from Unicomp. If you don't care about either, then whatever you can get for cheap should work. I think I read that the standard issue Dell pack-in is supposed to be one of the best non-ergo dome keyboards. That's what I'm using now at work, I guess I don't really have any complaints about it.
    Last edited by Kodeen; 29-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.

I use a G9 by logitech and like it alot. I also have a G500 that I got as a replacement for my G5 as the G5 has been discontinued, but I don't like it nearly as much as the G9 or the G5. I like having a high dpi mouse as I play alot of fps games and have gotten used to always having my mouse on the highest sensitivity, but if you don't plan on playing anything that requires really fast twitch skills then you would be fine with a regular mouse, I like the MX518 by logitech. For keyboards it's a lot just preference. I use a Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard while I really like as it's just keys and media buttons, no other fancy features besides backlighting. I also really like the illuminated logitech keyboard, its really thin and has keys almost like a laptop, though that may not appeal to you.
    Last edited by TheLastBaron; 30-07-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Love my G5. Got it for like $35 in an open box sale. Can't say the same about my G15 keyboard though...

Just popping in to give a thumbs-up to the MX518. I've had mine for years and years and I've been very happy with it. It's the first (and so far only) 'gaming' mouse I've used, though, so take my recommendation with a pinch of salt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    With regards to mice, I'm a big Logitech wireless fan. Loved my MX700 literally to death, (well, it still kinda works but is a bit like a knackered old horse that needs to be sent to the glue factory). Now using an MX600, which isn't quite as good, but the new MX710 looks good. If you can though, try and get down to a PC shop and have a feel of all the mice they have in your hands. Some things suit people differently.

Keyboard wise I'll have to disagree about "any old cheap crap will do". The OCZ Elixir 2 I found a good cheapish keyboard if you like short-stroke keys and simplicity. I'm now using a Razer Lycosa, which is ludicrously expensive, even after shopping around, and has some daft stuff like a mode where only the WASD keys light up. I so far though haven't broken it (I've worked my way through a lot of keyboards) and the wonderful thing about it is that so far I really can press any combos of keys I like. Other keyboards have had things like they can't handle [W + S/D + Control] or [W + Shift + 2] at the same time, letting me down in games.

Banned
    Keyboard wise I use one of these: -

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboa...d/devices/4740

(cheaper elsewhere if you hunt around)

The illumination on it is adjustable (great for those late night sessions with the lights low), it's exceptionally quiet, and it doesn't have that extreme cheddar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGS1-2T-wUU) whiff of a lot of 'Gamer' keyboards.

If you like something more robust: -

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Mouse wise I use a Razer death adder (with the blue 'extreme cheddar' glow turned off) as it's the only decent left handed gaming mouse going. If the cyborg Rat was available for lefties I'd probably get that though given the customization options.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 30-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Activated Node
    If you are getting a mechanical keyboard then make sure to research what sort of switch you like (or think you would like, in the absence of being able to test them) and don't just get a Model M or Das because they're popular. I will say that Cherry MX Blacks are considered the most suitable for gaming, though.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?tit...sary+and+Links has good information on keyboards and various switches.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm still leaning towards the Logitech MX518 for the mouse.

For keyboards I'm just looking for something that's comfortable to type on for a long period of time and won't break down after a year.

I understand that a mechanical keyboard may be the best option here but I'm having some trouble finding any that are "no-frills" and also a place to buy from in the UK.

Unfortunately the nearest PC shop is a PC-World and they don't have much on offer that I can try out in store.

Currently I have a Roccat kone mouse and a logitech g15 keyboard. The keyboard is nice but the on-board screen was a bit of a gimmick. Not really any use at all, Other than checking who is in teamspeak and What song is currently playing... But the Mouse. My god its brilliant. I am more than happy to recommend it, The best feature being that there is a sensor that some how manages to get the reduce the mouse lag on all different surfaces because its able to pick up the colour/reflection and so it feels the same on most services. Also there are plenty of features to fiddle with on the driver. you can change how the Y and X axis vary in sensitivity individually..And hey. It even has multi-colour Lights on it so you can have flashing pink lights on your mouse!( Though I have the original Roccat Kone they have also released a new one known as the kone [+] But I would be seriously surprised if they could make one of the best mice I've every used better!)
    http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kone/

Similarly for keyboards I would recommend the Roccat Valo. Its a bit pricey and if you play MMO's or highly intensive games that require macros then this keyboard is for you. Its got more maco functions than you can shake a stick at! plus it looks super hot!
    http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gamin...s/ROCCAT-Valo/
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Activated Node
    I understand that a mechanical keyboard may be the best option here but I'm having some trouble finding any that are "no-frills" and also a place to buy from in the UK.
    Most are "no-frills" in my experience, aside from stuff like the Razer BlackWidow.

http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp is located in the UK, but I don't know if they have a physical storefront.

Obscure Node
    Another thumbs up for the mx-518. I used an Intelimouse Explorer for about 7 years (wouldn't have changed it for the world until it started double clicking) before getting a mx-518. Great tracking, very comfortable and of course being Logitech has by far and away the best support if anything goes wrong/breaks regardless of if it's in warranty or not.

Keyboards are more of a mindfield and application specific. Some people like mechanical keyboards, some with gazillion macro keys. By far an away the most comfortable keyboard I've used for gaming is a Microsoft Natrual Ergonomic 4000. Great for fps games and the wrist rest is an added bonus. Though not built very well as if the tiniest drop of water on it will kill the effected keys dead.

I'm using the SteelSeries Xai mouse and it's by far one of the best mice I've ever used. You can customize it down to a tee and can be super precise when matched up with a worthy rig.

However it wouldn't hurt to have more buttons. You have your standard LC, RC and two side buttons and then you have another two side buttons but it's rare for any game to use them, so you have to macro each button depending on the game.

I've churned through a lot of gaming mice and I cannot recommend any mouse more than the mx518. It's a little pity the wheel isn't flat, but bevelled and quite low. Other than that small niggle it is near perfect. The Wow mouse from Steel Series is well worth the extra dollarbucks if you are playing wow, incidentally. The later mice with 'weighted cartridges' and all that jazz are quite frankly talking bollocks.

I am in the same boat as you, looking for a new set of peripherals. In the end I settled on a Microsoft Curve keyboard. It's comfy. It's full size. It's nothing more than a decent hard wearing keyboard and I know nothing about switches. I'm still deciding on a mouse though. As Kadayi metioned, the Cyborg Rat looks like it might be worth a shot. But it also looks like some sort of promotional eighties relic for Terminator. I am not going to get an Mx518 just for the sake of variety but it's the best thing Logitech do, that's for sure.

If you type a lot you should definitely go for a mechanical keyboard. They aren't cheap, but considering that they survive much longer than a "normal" keyboard they are cheaper in the long run.

A mouse is very much personal taste. I don't like the Logitech mice or the MX518 for that matter. Since you had a Razor mouse before I would be careful with the 518. You will at least need some time to get used to the new shape I would guess.
    That said I'm very happy with the Razer DeathAdder

Obscure Node
    Thanks again for the responses.

I've bought a mechanical Cherry keyboard (G80-3000) and it much more pleasant to type on.

I've managed to fix my mouse (for now at least) but will likely pick up a MX518 when possible.