Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you have time but no money, yes.
    Multinational man of misery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    It's a power issue. Everything works hunky-dory if I have the card inserted but no power running into it. If I insert a power cord, things won't boot.

The requirement for the card is 450W (with 600 recommended for Crossfire), I have 550W. I'm not very pleased, but now on the hunt for a not terribly expensive 650W or 700W supply.

I'm having a "there once was a lady who swallowed a fly" feeling :(
    I'm not convinced that means it's a power issue. That just means that it won't start when the card should be working. Try disconnecting power from all your drives and seeing if it will start up then with the card connected. If it will then you're short of power. If not probably something else and definitely an RMA.

Specs? You should be perfectly fine with a 550, unless you're running a beast or something old and power-hungry. Did you uninstall the old drivers?

It could be any number of issues. Once again a 550W should be perfectly fine for your GPU. If the drivers on the card are causing problems, then it may not start up. I had the same issues with a wireless card.

Try uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling - if that doesn't work, RMA.

Network Hub
    yeah, you did uninstall the drivers for the old card first, right?

I'll try running something like driver sweeper, but surely drivers wouldn't make a differenceto whether the machine makes it past POST. The conclusion I arrived at is that my mobo is incompatible with PCI-e 2.x cards, and the solution I'm eyeing up is to get a new mobo & processor (probably a nice mid-range i5, though I might just plump for a good i3 to save some ). I'd been planning to do that at some time in the future anyway -- this just brings those plans forward a bit.

Doesnt sound like its getting cheaper.. Thank god motherboards and CPUs dont cost so much anymore..
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I'll try running something like driver sweeper, but surely drivers wouldn't make a differenceto whether the machine makes it past POST. The conclusion I arrived at is that my mobo is incompatible with PCI-e 2.x cards, and the solution I'm eyeing up is to get a new mobo & processor (probably a nice mid-range i5, though I might just plump for a good i3 to save some ). I'd been planning to do that at some time in the future anyway -- this just brings those plans forward a bit.
    I'm pretty sure PCI-E 16x cards are backwards compatible mate....

Nope -- seems like that was probably the problem, or at least some kind of hardware incompatability with my motherboard.

Researching anew motherboard made it clear that it'd be most sensible to get something with a more modern socket, which meant gettign a new CPU, and the motherboard I selected wants DDR3 so I got some more RAM too, and since that put me over what I could use in Vista 32 I got myself Win 7 too. So I basically replaced everything but the case, power supply, and drives. The computer is running pretty damn sweetly now -- I ended up with a nice big boost to the Windows experience index thinger.

Obscure Node
    +1 on a 5770, runs pretty efficiently, 2x HDMI ports, DX11, sub 100 easily, maxes most games (but don't expect any top-end miracles from it)

Network Hub
    Unplug everything which uses power apart from the graphics card and boot. First place to start.